• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone stuttering only when using balanced connection

maximum3535

I recently received my Hifiman Edition XS and I noticed the stock SE cable results in no issues when connected to my Moondrop Dawn Pro - iPad. There are also no issues when using either the stock cable or my balanced Faaeal cable when connected to my dawn pro - Windows 10 PC.

However, when I try using the balanced cable/output with my iPad, the audio would start stuttering (completely turning on and off several times in a row for a split second each time) during busy passages at high volumes - there's a very specific volume threshold where if you go one notch above the stuttering comes back. This occurs consistently at certain busy parts of a song, and occurs even if the entire setup is completely still with no movement. With the other setups (iPad+SE or Windows+SE/balanced), I'm able to increase the volume much louder than the stuttering threshold.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm

1. That this isn't an issue with my Hifimans, or my balanced cable

2. If this is an issue of my dac firmware interacting with apple software? If so, is this an issue on Moondrop's end or Apple's end? I've read there's some stuttering issues with macbooks and external dacs, not sure if that applies to my iPad and balanced output specific issue.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently received my Hifiman Edition XS and I noticed the stock SE cable results in no issues when connected to my Moondrop Dawn Pro - iPad. There are also no issues when using either the stock cable or my balanced Faaeal cable when connected to my dawn pro - Windows 10 PC.

However, when I try using the balanced cable/output with my iPad, the audio would start stuttering (completely turning on and off several times in a row for a split second each time) during busy passages at high volumes - there's a very specific volume threshold where if you go one notch above the stuttering comes back. This occurs consistently at certain busy parts of a song, and occurs even if the entire setup is completely still with no movement. With the other setups (iPad+SE or Windows+SE/balanced), I'm able to increase the volume much louder than the stuttering threshold.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm

1. That this isn't an issue with my Hifimans, or my balanced cable

2. If this is an issue of my dac firmware interacting with apple software? If so, is this an issue on Moondrop's end or Apple's end? I've read there's some stuttering issues with macbooks and external dacs, not sure if that applies to my iPad and balanced output specific issue.
My guess is the dongle is trying to draw more power than the iPad can /will supply at the more demanding peaks you refer to .

OP
M

maximum3535

My guess is the dongle is trying to draw more power than the iPad can /will supply at the more demanding peaks you refer to .
How come it's able to output much larger volume in SE mode with no issue?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Lightning port
Try another Lightning to USB-C OTG adapter. They come with different max current.
Perrhaps another adapter will get rid of that OCP stutter.

Here's a list of these adapters (ignore the colored squares):

OP
M

maximum3535

OP
M

maximum3535

Try another Lightning to USB-C OTG adapter. They come with different max current.
Perrhaps another adapter will get rid of that OCP stutter.

Here's a list of these adapters (ignore the colored squares):
TY, I currently have a lightning-usbc from tanchjim since I liked the look and it felt durable, what do you think Fiio LT1-LT3? I was also looking at that before

staticV3

Master Contributor
TY, I currently have a lightning-usbc from tanchjim since I liked the look and it felt durable, what do you think Fiio LT1-LT3? I was also looking at that before
They don't say how much current it unlocks and I have no reports of other people using it.
I have no thoughts regarding the LT1-LT3.

OP
M

maximum3535

They don't say how much current it unlocks and I have no reports of other people using it.
I have no thoughts regarding the LT1-LT3.
Yeah I think I might go with the meenova or such instead, would rather use something that's more known.

Top Bottom