• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

OP
Willhelm_Scream
s
Call it "shtick" all you want... that shit right there is golden! I almost want to quote that in my sig, but I'm just slightly too lazy.
giphy.gif

Regardless, bravo!

Yes.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IQ isn't completely measurable just like DACS. The mind is so complex that at this point we can never hope to measure it completely. Some day we will look back at the age of IQ tests as an age of darkness and ignorance. Sure, in a controlled timed setting, there may be people who score higher than others on their SATS, MCATS, GRES, etc but taking a random group of college graduates, and trying to test them under controlled conditions is no way to try and interpret intelligence. I scored far below median on my GRE and every childhood IQ test (WAIS, STANFORD BINET ETC), but was admitted to The New School For Social Research for a graduate degree in the political and economic sciences, which prides itself in its heterodox approach to economics, emphasizing the history of economics, political economy, and economic history, and includes Keynesian, post-Keynesian, Marxist, structuralist, and other heterodox approaches in conjunction with critical education in mainstream neoclassical economics. That is what has really shaped my mind and opinions on this world including my audiophile world.
If this is the view of someone with low IQ, what would be the view of a high IQ person be?

digicidal

Major Contributor
If this is the view of someone with low IQ, what would be the view of a high IQ person be?

"Damn... Peeps be trippin'!" IMHO at least. I consider broadly applicable expressions to be a sign of high intelligence more than vocabulary in most cases. Or barring that at least a sign of success.

Although likely in almost every case (assuming an IQ far higher than mine) - silence would probably be the correct answer. At some point I think those of stratospheric intelligence are left with little choice other than "switching off" when communicating with us "normies".

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IQ isn't completely measurable just like DACS. The mind is so complex that at this point we can never hope to measure it completely. Some day we will look back at the age of IQ tests as an age of darkness and ignorance. Sure, in a controlled timed setting, there may be people who score higher than others on their SATS, MCATS, GRES, etc but taking a random group of college graduates, and trying to test them under controlled conditions is no way to try and interpret intelligence. I scored far below median on my GRE and every childhood IQ test (WAIS, STANFORD BINET ETC), but was admitted to The New School For Social Research for a graduate degree in the political and economic sciences, which prides itself in its heterodox approach to economics, emphasizing the history of economics, political economy, and economic history, and includes Keynesian, post-Keynesian, Marxist, structuralist, and other heterodox approaches in conjunction with critical education in mainstream neoclassical economics. That is what has really shaped my mind and opinions on this world including my audiophile world.
Ok, the trolling part is still very obvious. But you seem to be putting in a little more effort. Maybe 5 % improvement. But don't be satisfied too easily. Keep working on it. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. But it does behoove one to sometimes stop and ask if what they are trying to be makes the world a better place or not.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

digicidal

Major Contributor
Forget the physical science. Let's just put every audio opinion to popular vote. :facepalm:

Are you saying that a democratic process is different from a scientific one? Heresy! ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do Political Scientists conduct experiments in labs with white coats on?

The labs are called Cuckoos Nests. o_O I think the thread deviation has been condoned by the OP. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
The problem with Political Scientist's hearing experience is that politicians rarely have anything to say that is worth more than 2 bits.

digicidal

Major Contributor
The problem with Political Scientist's hearing experience is that politicians rarely have anything to say that is worth more than 2 bits.

Which is quite significant in comparison to the amount that they listen to others actually.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beyond the variables you've mentioned, a system that people are unfamiliar with makes a huge difference when doing blind testing. In fact, I'd call this the most important variable. There is a learning process associated with all systems that allows people to compare their experience to their memory of how a certain instrument sounds (or how it compares to their own system). I would be the first to admit that I could not hear differences between most devices through a system that I've had little time in listening to.

I suggest you read BS.1116 : Methods for the subjective assessment of small impairments in audio systems

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So you guys don't think the conductance and quality of the materials will make cables sound different? Any concrete proof that cables with different materials conduct signals the same way?

Different metals don't conduct electricity in the same way
Conductance does matter when low load impedances are in play.
Impedances have different resistance and phase characteristics for different frequencies.
Cables can have very different resistances and capacitances and somewhat differing inductances.
Some cables can easily pick up HF or audio frequency electric and magnetic fields and radiate them as well.
These differences exist due to geometry and used materials.
Cables do conduct signals differently with a 100% measurable certainty.
Science depends on this, even audio science depends on this.

One would have to ask the following questions.

When you say... cables sound different are you talking about
A: cables loading electro-mechanical sensors like microphones (of all kinds), MM or MC cartridge, Ceramic cartridge, magnetic pickups.
What is the source impedance of those 'sensors'... what is the frequency range they encompass ... what load impedance/resistance do they require to stay within specifications.
There are loads of different types of cables for those type of sensors.

B: Interlinks that conduct line-level signals.
What is the source resistance/impedance, in what type of environment are they used (heavy electro/magnetic screening required or not).
What is the length of the cable.
What is the load at the end of the cable (pure resistive.. with a capacitance or input transformer).
What type of connection is used (2 or 3 wire)
Is the ground connected
What screening is used
How high is the capacitance.
What is the desired upper frequency range (and specify how many attenuation at that frequency)

C: Digital cables
What type of connection is used. (SPDIF is not the same as the various USB options)
Which frequency range should it have to avoid to severe timing errors due to HF roll-off
What is the length of the cable
What is the source and load impedance as well as that of the cable.

D: Power cables
What current can they handle.
Are they used on a device that emits high levels of HF signals (due to poorly filtered SMPS for instance)
What is the length of the cable
Are there decent fitting connectors on it.
Are they fuse protected or not.
What currents actually pass through the cable

E: Speaker cables.
What is its length of the cable.
What is its resistance (round trip so 2 connectors added)
What is the load resistance
What is the power level that has to pass through the cable
What is the maximum frequency range you require
What is its capacitance

F: headphone cables.
What is the load impedance
What is its resistance
Is the cable a 3 or 4 wire connection.
Is the signal balanced or single ended and in case of the latter is the common resistance low
What is the length

Those are the aspects that matter (probably not all aspects are written down).
This means some cable are better suited for specific tasks than others and one cannot use the same cables for all circumstances.

What specific cables and sound qualitiy changes/properties are you talking about ?

Top Bottom