• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Chagall

Forum Donor
So far the most pleasant EQ settings with a bass boost are from Amir (page 1). Sound is very natural and clear with these very special spacial qualities/soundstage/instrument separation.
EQing to Harman target kills 800s in my opinion, it starts sounding very average with a poor bass quality.
However if you are not a bass head, you might find the EQ settings from Oratory for Optimum Hi-Fi target even more pleasing than any others (amazing instrument separation and soundstage). A bit strange that nobody mentioned them.
Here are the PEQ settings I use:
Preamp: -0.02 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 225 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 0.35
Filter: ON PK Fc 350 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 2.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 2.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 3.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 3350 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 6.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 5450 Hz Gain -4.4 dB Q 5.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 6.0
Filter: ON HS Fc 7000 Hz Gain -5.85 dB Q 0.7

And here are the original EQ settings for Optimum Hi-Fi target from Oratory:
Preamp: -0.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 45 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 0.8
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 225 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 0.35
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 350 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 2.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 2.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 3.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3350 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 6.0
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5450 Hz Gain -4.4 dB Q 5.0
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 6.0
Filter 10: ON HS Fc 7000 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 0.7

I do agree when EQed to Harman a chunk of soundstage and separation is gone, but I do the opposite.
Instead of going for Optimum curve with no bass, I just EQ the low end and leave everything from 1k as is - maybe just fix the 5,5k peak.

Is it correct? No, but it gives me more spacious presentation with low end, atleast to my ears.
It seems to me that HD800s' weird frequency response contributes, in no small way, to it's soundstage/spaciousness effect.

1698687494927.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do something similar (but analog) and is really all that is needed.

AryaStealth

Chagall and solderdude, could you please share your settings for EqualizerAPO?
Another way to EQ Sennheiser 800S (especially for classical music) is to use a convolution filter from Accurate Sound (I'm currently using the trial version) and so far 96000 Khz convolution filter seems to be the most pleasant and natural for classical records, somehow it creates a better soundstage than all other PEQ profiles I tried.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do not use software equalizer but only a hardware equalizer (parametric) so do not have any PEQ settings.
The difference between the purple and red line is the actual EQ.
Kam vs stock.png

Do note that the EQ above is for HD800 and not HD800S. The HD800S has less of a 6kHz treble peak and only needs to be reduced by -3dB or so.

Last edited:

Chagall

Forum Donor
Chagall and solderdude, could you please share your settings for EqualizerAPO?
Another way to EQ Sennheiser 800S (especially for classical music) is to use a convolution filter from Accurate Sound (I'm currently using the trial version) and so far 96000 Khz convolution filter seems to be the most pleasant and natural for classical records, somehow it creates a better soundstage than all other PEQ profiles I tried.

Nothing special:

Filter TypeFrequency (Hz)QGain (dB)
Low shelf550.409.4
Peaking1960.83-3.4
Peaking56004.40-3.5
Preamp: -7.7 dB

In roon, with good quality music mixes, I even disable 5600Hz filter.
But have it enabled when listening to podcasts or youtube, because of S, T and Zs.

Convolution filter, AFAIK is just a parametric EQ with more filters, so the correction is more fine-tuned and adheres to the target better.
You can make your own EQ or convolution here: https://autoeq.app/

But again, I think there is no need for 10 point EQ with HD 800s, let alone convolution filter. Just that anemic low end need a boost and that's it.

Ofc, there are no right or wrong answers here, just preference.

Bucking

I also do something similar, but with a lot less bass boost (EQ appplied through RME ADI 2 DAC FS)

Chagall

Forum Donor
I also do something similar, but with a lot less bass boost (EQ appplied through RME ADI 2 DAC FS)

Q is quite wide, so high gain values are misleading.

1698864348305.png

Compared to Amirs EQ, these are rookie numbers:)

Miiman

My HD800S arrived from Sennheiser today, they sound great!
One thing thought, have they stopped including the flashdrive?
I only got a card that with information about all the different testing and quality control they had done.
Mine are made in Ireland, but from what i understand they all are now.

Everything looked brand new in plastic and all, ordered directly from Sennheiser.

Last edited:

Miiman

After owning the HD800S for a while now and dialing in the EQ to my likening i am very satisfied.
I first used the Oratory preset but i think it sounds too "muted" with alot of music.
So now i have a much less agressive EQ, mostly boosted bass.

One thing that i did do was change the headband today. After an hour or two with the original i felt a hotspot on my head. I settled for the ZMF Pilot Pad.
Initial impressions are that it does indeed feel alot better. Need to use it for a couple of days and see how it feels in the long run before making final judgement.
The original headband pops off easy and the Pilot Pad takes seconds to install. I choose the lambskin one. Probably easier to maintain and clean than the velour.

IMG_2579.jpg

Soria Moria

This isn't a good assumption - the inner padding composition, exact pad shape and dimensions, compressibility etc. can all have significant effects on frequency response, not just the outer material. Below is an example of pad differences for the HD800S as measured on a proper industry standard rig that has the same acoustic impedance of the human ear, without which results will be inaccurate due to different pads changing the acoustic impedance of the headphone, which will not interact with the acoustic impedance of the ear simulator in a predictable way, so even relative differences in frequency response between different pads would be inaccurate:

View attachment 236474
Given the huge decrease in bass from the Dekoni pads I'd be really worried about distortion becoming audible after EQing i Harman and playing at loud but comfortable volumes. Especially if you prefer more bass than the Harman target.

Rich Richter

Using the HD800S with the Chord Mojo 2. Love it so far!
Why I bought these:
- Excel in classical, jazz, acoustic genres
- Emphasis on detail retrieval, instrument separation & precise (rather than rich) tonality
- The best soundstage & imaging especially for movies
My Experience after 1 month of use:
- Initially I had to take breaks every 30 mins of listening just so I don't get fatigued
- Best DAC/amp pairing was the Chord Mojo
- Cannot use for pop, rock, electro
Thoughts on EQ:
- Used Roon's parametric EQ to test dozens of presets including Harman, Diffuse, etc.
- The more I tinker the less natural it sounds which defeats the purpose of what these cans are designed to do
- Only EQ I use when I need to: Pushed Mojo's built-in EQ to to +6db without a hint of distortion. Thank god this has lossless DSP!
- Not bothered by the 6khz peak (maybe bc I'm in my 40s)
- In conclusion less is more --> rarely using it now
Songs that blew me away with HD800S:
- Mahler's Symphony No. 8 perf. Dudamel/LA
- Gershwin's An American in Paris perf. Levine/Chicago Symphony
- Paganini's 24 Caprices perf. Hilary Hahn
- 'S Wonderful by Diana Krall
- Chasing Pavements by Adele
- Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
- Six Marimbas by Steve Reich
- So Tender by Keith Jarrett
- Peace Piece by Bill Evans Trio

Chagall

Forum Donor
Using the HD800S with the Chord Mojo 2. Love it so far!
Why I bought these:
- Excel in classical, jazz, acoustic genres
- Emphasis on detail retrieval, instrument separation & precise (rather than rich) tonality
- The best soundstage & imaging especially for movies
My Experience after 1 month of use:
- Initially I had to take breaks every 30 mins of listening just so I don't get fatigued
- Best DAC/amp pairing was the Chord Mojo
- Cannot use for pop, rock, electro
Thoughts on EQ:
- Used Roon's parametric EQ to test dozens of presets including Harman, Diffuse, etc.
- The more I tinker the less natural it sounds which defeats the purpose of what these cans are designed to do
- Only EQ I use when I need to: Pushed Mojo's built-in EQ to to +6db without a hint of distortion. Thank god this has lossless DSP!
- Not bothered by the 6khz peak (maybe bc I'm in my 40s)
- In conclusion less is more --> rarely using it now
Songs that blew me away with HD800S:
- Mahler's Symphony No. 8 perf. Dudamel/LA
- Gershwin's An American in Paris perf. Levine/Chicago Symphony
- Paganini's 24 Caprices perf. Hilary Hahn
- 'S Wonderful by Diana Krall
- Chasing Pavements by Adele
- Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
- Six Marimbas by Steve Reich
- So Tender by Keith Jarrett
- Peace Piece by Bill Evans Trio

My suggestion would be to apply EQ (Harman or similar - bass boost, tame the highs) leave it for 2-3 weeks, and listen to music (including pop, rock, and electronic). After that disable EQ and see how you like it.

e_h

I'm using Amir's EQ preset (below) for HD 800S, with EQ APO/PEACE.

Preamp: -11.7 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 40 Hz Gain 8.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 75 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2705 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5400 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.0

My question is why the preamp is -11.7 when the biggest gain is +8.0?
I'm sure it makes sense, I would just like to understand why. Partly because in my current setup I need every dB I can get, ergo if I can set the preamp to -8.0 instead of -11.7 without causing any (possibly audible) harm I would prefer to do that :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm sure it makes sense, I would just like to understand why.
PEQ filters are additive.
Two +3dB filters at the same frequency will sum to +6dB.

Amir's PEQ preset has two low shelf filters with +3 and +8dB gain, which sum to +11.7dB total gain.

BTW, Amir's PEQ settings are not very precise and deviate from Harman considerably (black is the response with his settings):
Sennheiser HD800S Dashboard.png

Instead, I would use the PEQ settings posted by Maiky76 or oratory1990, or I would make my own using https://autoeq.app/.

Chagall

Forum Donor

I'm sure it makes sense, I would just like to understand why. Partly because in my current setup I need every dB I can get, ergo if I can set the preamp to -8.0 instead of -11.7 without causing any (possibly audible) harm I would prefer to do that :)

Also, you can set pre-amp on -5dB as the starting value and enable Prevent clipping in Peace. Peace will lower automatically if the source is clipping.

e_h

PEQ filters are additive.
Two +3dB filters at the same frequency will sum to +6dB.

Amir's PEQ preset has two low shelf filters with +3 and +8dB gain, which sum to +11.7dB total gain.

BTW, Amir's PEQ settings are not very precise and deviate from Harman considerably (black is the response with his settings):
View attachment 334472

Instead, I would use the PEQ settings posted by Maiky76 or oratory1990, or I would make my own using https://autoeq.app/.
That definitely makes sense, thank you for educating me :)

Regarding the PEQ settings: I've tried various other presets (Oratory, Crinacle and others) but I prefer Amir's so far, thanks for the suggestion though!

Strumbringer

I've had my HD800S for several weeks now and have been using Amir's EQ preset. I prefer it substantially over the Harmon/Oratory1990 presets. I saved all on my RME ADI2 DAC and A/B, noting that the Amir preset is much more to my liking.:D

Top Bottom