• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 170 39.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 53.7%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm new here.... very new, and have little understanding of what I'm reading. I received these headphones as a gift to pair with my iphone. I always listen at home and would like some help in improving my listening experience with a budget of £300.
Please be gentle.
They're very good headphones. You could probably improve them further by using Oratory's EQ for it:

Griffod

iphone as the music source ?
Yes indeed, streaming itunes lossless. Do I need a dac amp to get the most out of headphones? I haven't touched audio since the 1980's :) I'm worried I disappear down a rabbit hole shedding cash as I seek the panacea of audio pleasure.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Reading all the "no bass" comments reminds me of my original 414's. They were all the rage in the 70's. Then I bought my Yamaha YH-1. Still have them but looking for over the ear, not on, so guess I'll give these a try. Too much money for the 650's for a very occasional user.

Back then, if you wanted bass, it was Pro-4AA. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading all the "no bass" comments reminds me of my original 414's. They were all the rage in the 70's. Then I bought my Yamaha YH-1. Still have them but looking for over the ear, not on, so guess I'll give these a try. Too much money for the 650's for a very occasional user.

Back then, if you wanted bass, it was Pro-4AA. :)
The HD560s actually has more bass than most open backed headphones, even some planar headphones, the dotted red line is the HD560s, you see that it's noticeably more extended and elevated in the bass than all of these other well regarded headphones for instance:
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD560S-Sennheiser HD600-Sennheiser HD650-AKG K702-Hifiman HE4XX.png

pk500

My iphone is maxed out of volume. Anything that could improve the soundstage too.
A portable DAC-amp dongle would be the ticket. Something like the Qudelix 5K, E1DA 9038D or TempoTec Sonata HD Pro would increase volume and fidelity. You'll need to buy a Lightning adapter cable for the Qudelix or E1DA. The Sonata comes with one.

The Apple Lightning DAC dongle is a fantastic piece of kit for $9, with a DAC that rivals products costing 10 times more. But it has feeble amplification, and you need more power than it can provide if your phone volume already is maxed with the 560s.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A portable DAC-amp dongle would be the ticket. Something like the Qudelix 5K, E1DA 9038D or TempoTec Sonata HD Pro would increase volume and fidelity. You'll need to buy a Lightning adapter cable for the Qudelix or E1DA. The Sonata comes with one.

The Apple Lightning DAC dongle is a fantastic piece of kit for $9, with a DAC that rivals products costing 10 times more. But it has feeble amplification, and you need more power than it can provide if your phone volume already is maxed with the 560s.
There is an android and an apple version of the Tempotec. Although I think the difference may only be in the cable it ships with. And oddly my first one had both included (but never tried with apple)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Ok, Ok, talked myself into them. My ears are high on my head and no hair to hold them up, so I hope they fit OK. ( or can augment the pad) .
Should get here Tuesday. Rather amazing distortion numbers ans I don't pla loud, they should blow the doors off my 40 year old ones. Need to see what I can sell my SR80's for. A few quid to help offset the price a little!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My iphone is maxed out of volume. Anything that could improve the soundstage too.

desktop style (mains fed) or something rechargeable ?
Soundstage will not alter.

Griffod

Thanks PK500,

Good for on the go. However my phone battery is not very good at holding it's charge. I'll certainly have a look.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Topping (newer models) or JDS labs or Schiit Heresy will all do fine.

You can connect these amps using a 3.5mm TRS jack to 2x RCA cable.

Griffod

Topping (newer models) or JDS labs or Schiit Heresy will all do fine.

You can connect these amps using a 3.5mm TRS jack to 2x RCA cable.
Thanks for the advice bud. The Schitt is out of stock in the UK outlet and the Topping will be a direct import from China. Of the 3 which is better?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They will all do and are about equal in quality.

You will have to put the volume control of the phone on max (or very close to it)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only when your phone does not have a 3.5mm headphone out socket you will need the dongle.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
They will all do and are about equal in quality.

You will have to put the volume control of the phone on max (or very close to it)
Totally agree. ( not common :) )

Over here, we have stocking resellers through Amazon for Topping. JDS and Schiit are direct sales.

But,
If you are using the headphone output of your phone, why buy a high-fidelity amplifier? Why buy high-fidelity headphones?

Griffod

Totally agree. ( not common :) )

Over here, we have stocking resellers through Amazon for Topping. JDS and Schiit are direct sales.

But,
If you are using the headphone output of your phone, why buy a high-fidelity amplifier? Why buy high-fidelity headphones?
Ignorance ... I thought the digital signal source from my phone could be converted and amplified outside of the phone itself. So you can't bypass the internal circuitry?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It can but isn't going to be much better than an external DAC.
The HD560S directly from a phone won't be satisfying at louder levels. Using an external amp with the phone's headphone output will.

Griffod

It can but isn't going to be much better than an external DAC.
The HD560S directly from a phone won't be satisfying at louder levels. Using an external amp with the phone's headphone output will.
Forgive my lack of understanding .... an alternative to the dongle dac won't make a big difference? Say a Topping DX3 combo?

Top Bottom