• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 229 53.6%

• Total voters

bugivugi

for orchestral music (folk, jazz, strings, symphony, brass) which "ears" do you prefer? (I live on the periphery, there is no way to "touch" everything, so I try to narrow down the choice, reducing the likelihood of a conditional (because this is a subjective matter) error). lower frequencies one also needs brisk ones that do not merge into a mess.

so that it was in the topic of the topic - from the specified + \ -. before $200, open or semi-open (ported) type

Last edited:

aj625

for orchestral music (folk, jazz, strings, symphony, brass) which "ears" do you prefer? (I live on the periphery, there is no way to "touch" everything, so I try to narrow down the choice, reducing the likelihood of a conditional (because this is a subjective matter) error). lower frequencies one also needs brisk ones that do not merge into a mess.

so that it was in the topic of the topic - from the specified + \ -. before $200, open or semi-open (ported) type
Do manufacturers make products as per music genres ? :)

bugivugi

Делают ли производители продукцию в соответствии с музыкальными жанрами? :)
I think yes. this is a question of the target audience, one of the aspects of marketing.

for example recently, tygr 300r came out in limited edition.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to hear more opinions about Sennheiser HD560S vs. AKG K371 vs. HD580-650.
I have "all" of those headphones apart from the K371, but I have a NAD HP50 which is a closed back dynamic with low distortion and easily EQ'able frequency response. I got HD560s / NAD HP50 / HD600 (and other ones you've not listed), and the HD560s is the best of the bunch: better soundstage, better bass ability/clarity, and equal to the HD600 in "detail/resolution". Talking when all EQ'd to the Harman Curve.

bugivugi

I have "all" of those headphones apart from the K371, but I have a NAD HP50 which is a closed back dynamic with low distortion and easily EQ'able frequency response. I got HD560s / NAD HP50 / HD600 (and other ones you've not listed), and the HD560s is the best of the bunch: better soundstage, better bass ability/clarity, and equal to the HD600 in "detail/resolution". Talking when all EQ'd to the Harman Curve.
How do you think the 560(s) respond to the signal source? Is the phone enough to reveal all the resources?

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
If you go by the measurements, then it should be the opposite. HD560S has more bass with no EQ AND has less bass distortion so it should yield better results if EQd. From experience I can tell there is certainly no lack of bass if you EQ properly (with compensated negative preamp so no digital clipping will occur).

HD560S:
index.php
HD650:
index.php
HD600:
index.php
Thanks ! That's excellent news then about the value of the 560Ss. I didn't read the graphs but remembered a paragraph towards the end of Amir's review of the 650s: "As expected, my large increase in bass level naturally increases the distortion there. But listen to this: without EQ you hardly hear those notes down in 20 to 30 Hz. No sense in having a clean signal you can't perceive! With equalization, those notes now play as if you have 20 Hz to 20 kHz reference quality speaker over your head. Don't miss on this opportunity to hear the full spectrum of the recording." I mostly remembered the last two sentences though, not the preceding statement about distortion confirming your reply.

bugivugi

Thanks ! That's excellent news then about the value of the 560Ss. I didn't read the graphs but remembered a paragraph towards the end of Amir's review of the 650s: "As expected, my large increase in bass level naturally increases the distortion there. But listen to this: without EQ you hardly hear those notes down in 20 to 30 Hz. No sense in having a clean signal you can't perceive! With equalization, those notes now play as if you have 20 Hz to 20 kHz reference quality speaker over your head. Don't miss on this opportunity to hear the full spectrum of the recording." I mostly remembered the last two sentences though, not the preceding statement about distortion confirming your reply.

Solderdude also spoke about the ambiguity of software equalizing.

Adaboy4z

Hi new member here! I enjoyed the HD560s, but returned them. I discovered the HiFiman 400se and really liked the sound. I used Amir EQ setting in Roon and it is spot on for me. Thanks!

bugivugi

Indeed, barely decent when using my Samsung Note 9 phone.
there is still such a factor - phone manufacturers decide in their own way how to organize the audio path. nowhere in the specifications is this reflected, not even in an authentic Apple. hence there is confusion, inconsistencies, situations when it is easier for a person to buy a separate device in the form of a DAC amplifier.

3125b

Major Contributor
AKG K371 vs. HD580-650
I can offer an opinion on K371 vs. HD 600.
The K371 has much more bass of course, but it lacks the natural mids and highs of the HD 600. It's good for a closed-back, but not as good as the HD 600. Also it doesn't really have comparable ergonomics. Again, not too bad for a budget closed-back, but not great. And it most certainly doesn't have the longevity of either the HD 500* or 600 series, in fact, with the easy to break and hard to repair headband it's one of the least durable headphones I've come across.

*I've had an HD 555 (same construction as the 560S) until recently, 10-15 years old, the model debuted in early 2004. Some of the plastic started to crack but it was not too bad still.

pk500

there is still such a factor - phone manufacturers decide in their own way how to organize the audio path. nowhere in the specifications is this reflected, not even in an authentic Apple. hence there is confusion, inconsistencies, situations when it is easier for a person to buy a separate device in the form of a DAC amplifier.
I'm not sure it's that complicated: Very few phones can drive audiophile headphones well outside of a specific LG phone -- I'm forgetting; V90? -- that apparently has a powerful amp and good DAC. I've owned iPhones since the 4s, and they're far from amplification powerhouses. I'm not sure about DAP's, as I haven't owned one in about 10 years.

Sure, there are some entry-level headphone exceptions, such as the AKG K361/K371 or the Meze 99 Classics/Neo/Noir. But those are pretty much far and few between. You better see impedance in the 30s or lower and sensitivity of 100 or higher before you even think of driving a headphone properly with just a phone.

Want to power a planar properly without an amp? Dream on, as Steven Tyler sang with Aerosmith. Want to drive a triple-digit impedance can without an amp? Have fun with that.

I've reached the point in my audiophile journey where I just assume a headphone needs an amp, and it's quite surprising if it doesn't.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might sell my HD560s after they come back to me, I'll compare them further with the HE400se. As of now, the He400se have an edge in comfort and listening. I might sell the HD560s for something different eventually.

SpaceMonkey

Out of curiosity, what makes you think stretching the headband on the HD600 doesn't work? The plastic-covered metal headbands on the HD58x/600/650/6xx/660 are all functionally identical and should be straightforward to stretch. I'm not a fan of doing it with books or large objects, personally, as it leads to less precise results. I prefer to do it with my hands: fully extend the headband and gently bend the metal until it fits exactly how I want. Lots of videos out there show how to do it safely. Doesn't take much force, only takes 30 seconds, and can be reversed (provided you don't overdo it and crack the plastic).

I would be more cautious trying this with the 560S, though. The book approach might make more sense, and I'd probably start with a smaller rather than larger object since you probably can't undo it once stretched because of the all-plastic build.
On hd600 bending metal while fully extended does work. Leaving on books, balls, head does not in my experience.
With hd560s i just left them as they are as I use them maybe once every couple of weeks. So didn't try.

Adaboy4z

I might sell my HD560s after they come back to me, I'll compare them further with the HE400se. As of now, the He400se have an edge in comfort and listening. I might sell the HD560s for something different eventually.
I really thought I would keep the HD560s after hearing them. It was my entry into audiophile headphones. Then I heard about Planar bass and detail in music. $129 I was truly impressed by the 400se. Hopefully I don't hear someone else's more expensive phones.

pk500

I really thought I would keep the HD560s after hearing them. It was my entry into audiophile headphones. Then I heard about Planar bass and detail in music. $129 I was truly impressed by the 400se. Hopefully I don't hear someone else's more expensive phones.
Exact same path I followed in early 2021. Bought HD 560s, enjoyed them. Then I heard the HE-400se, liked them considerably more and sold my HD 560s.

Just got HiFiMan Edition XS -- wow. My trusty, beloved HE-400se may be up for sale imminently. The XS are steps above in overall quality.

Adaboy4z

Exact same path I followed in early 2021. Bought HD 560s, enjoyed them. Then I heard the HE-400se, liked them considerably more and sold my HD 560s.

Just got HiFiMan Edition XS -- wow. My trusty, beloved HE-400se may be up for sale imminently. The XS are steps above in overall quality.
Google's HiFiMan Edition XS lol

Top Bottom