• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Volkvangr

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. I'm cheering for Schiit! There's a lot to like about those guys...
I was being a little more than tongue in cheek. That said, Schiit fills a niche, mostly in the 'affordable and fun' audio marketplace. This thing? The ASR crowd probably isn't going to dig it very much. But, then again, nothing with a half a dozen tubes sticking out of the top of it is going to spec out well. So it comes down to whether you like the design, and the 'feel' it gives you.

Although appealing to different demographics, McIntosh is similar to Schiit. Both offer a unique 'design language' and a unique 'vibe'. Unlike the latter, McIntosh is, however, two companies. One makes amplifiers, the other exists as a 'lifestyle' influencer. Mac's big iron is no doubt quite capable, and if you can afford it, and want that unique look, it's there for you.

But the other half of the company is quite happy selling empty boxes for more money than anyone thought possible. In a way, Mac is the Harley Davidson of audio. But give them credit... surely an empty box selling for fifteen hundred dollars has to be at least as profitable as selling designer t-shirts and baseball caps. And I guess you could argue that a two hundred dollar Harley Davidson t shirt is more practical than a box that does nothing. Hell, leather saddlebags are more practical than a lightbox. And a lot cheaper, too. But that's lifestyle for you.

Doubtful a Volkvangr is more practical than a Magni. But practicality is not really its point. I wonder why they aren't selling t-shirts and swag? If the Full of Schiit guys ever ask me, I'll advise them to start selling wearable bling.

Untitled.jpg
mac.jpg

D!sco

I do not get deliberately adding barely perceptible distortion to the whole song to "sweeten" it. It would be equivalent to adding reverb to all of your recordings to make them sound more spacious, holographic and 3-dimensional.
Coming from the same space, I completely agree 100%, except with the reverb. Crosstalk+Reverb=Hall Sound. Easy formula. At least I'm pretty sure that's what my receiver used to do in post processing.

I'm not saying I like it, but I think when people are adjusting their system "musically" they think adjustments like that are helping.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not get deliberately adding barely perceptible distortion to the whole song to "sweeten" it.
In one of my email 'conversations' with Peter Aczel (which we turned into a feature in his Webzine) I asked him about 'dry' and 'lifeless' sounding recordings, and ways engineers overcome that. He replied:

Your Levine/Met recordings of the Ring sound a bit sterile because they were made in Manhattan Center (New York), which is an acoustically rather dead venue. In 1989, Max Wilcox produced a wonderful-sounding recording of the Mahler 5th (Mehta/NY on Teldec, released 1990) in that same Manhattan Center. He added some very subtle artificial reverb, which is not at all perceptible as such but makes the sound come alive.

Of course this sort of thing is 'baked' into the mix, and of course few would want reverb (or any other effect) in a constant 'on' state, as part of their preamplification. Better to use an Aphex that you can switch in and out.

However, given the low level (from an actual auditory recognition standpoint) of any additive tube based distortion, this thing (or most any tube thing) is not going to be noticeable, if at all--at least in casual listening. Those second (and subsequent) harmonic distortion spikes will be masked by the music. Are those spikes going to ruin listening, at the 'macro' level? I'm not going to say they couldn't. And maybe a keen ear could find an isolated passage, put that into a loop, and A/B it with something cleaner, and then reliably tell each apart, based on the audible distortion.

Obviously anyone who argues for 'as clean as possible in all situations' is not going to go for tubes. Why would they? Again, anyone interested in this thing is interested in it for its 'vibe'... tubes sticking out of the top, and its overall design. Sure, the tweako press can and will argue about how it sounds this way and that, but people commonly hear 'differences' in the same gear on different days. Most of it, if not all, is imagination.

I get the fact that ASR is engineering based. That's why we are here. ASR serves an important purpose given that angle. But I've argued before, and will argue again, it makes no sense to compare tube engineering with SS, on an absolute basis. If you are going to compare the best possible engineering that can be got from a tube design, it should be compared with other tubes, like against like. However no one does that. It's just, "Let's stick this on the bench and compare what these half a dozen tubes do against a Benchmark..." Well, I think we can all agree that that certainly tells everyone what they don't already know.

To use a perhaps stretched analogy, if I'm comparing four legged animals that can pull a wagon or cart, I'm going to investigate the water buffalo, a domestic ox, some mules and donkeys, and maybe a goat. I'm not going to compare those animals against a cheetah, antelope, or even a thoroughbred racehorse, even if I could hook them up to my cart or plough. On the other hand, if I'm looking for the fastest land animal, and using a stopwatch, it's a different situation.

Getting back to Aczel, it's why he didn't bother reviewing tube gear. For his purpose (the best engineering at the lowest price), both he and his readers were not interested. Peter understood that tubes could never play that game, and that life is too short to expect the unexpected.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so... it's OCD... I mean OTL and OCL.
That seems to me like asking for trouble if a component has any DC offset ridin' the rails (so to speak) on the output(s).
:cool:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1656703368485.jpeg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps the Folkvangr doesn't have the finesse, nuance, and subtilties of SET triode amps of which I listen to on almost a daily basis. However it brings with it a high level of energy, rockin' rhythmic drive, crisp articulation, and a beautiful interpretation of voices and midrange instruments.

Above is pretty typical of what one expects in casual reviewing blather. Try to parse the meaning, and see what you come up with. Other than the fact that the writer uses SET triodes, the other words that form the sentence tell us absolutely nothing. No one knows what finesse, nuance, and subtleties are, as they relate to an amplifier. I think I know what 'a high level of energy' and 'rockin' rhythmic drive' is, but only in relation to playing an electric guitar.

Funny enough, the writer is equivocal, using the adverb 'perhaps' at the beginning of his description string, meaning he isn't even sure of what he is attempting to claim.

Once again, proving that these sorts of items are sold on 'vibe', and the feelings they create within the emotional psyche of users. Nothing wrong with that. Especially if you are a woman. But one should at least be honest about it, and not make up auditory stuff that is attributed to the product itself.

The 'reviewer' is correct, however, when he states that $1800.00 today is not going to have the buying power of that sum, next year. I don't usually give economic oriented advice, but if he is looking for a hedge against inflation, I'd suggest he instead spend his dollars on a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Not only will a Studio cost a bit less than the Schiit, but the guitar will immediately allow for authentic rockin' rhythmic drive. Not only that, but in ten years, when the Volk is worthless, the Gibson will be at least worth whatever he paid for it. And if he is lucky enough to get Joe, Jimmy, Jeff or Eric to autograph it, he might even be able to sell it for a lot more. On the other hand, if Mike signs the Schiit, it will still be worth about as much as ten year old Schiit.

Last edited:

purr1n

Perhaps the Folkvangr doesn't have the finesse, nuance, and subtilties of SET triode amps of which I listen to on almost a daily basis. However it brings with it a high level of energy, rockin' rhythmic drive, crisp articulation, and a beautiful interpretation of voices and midrange instruments.

Above is pretty typical of what one expects in casual reviewing blather. Try to parse the meaning, and see what you come up with. Other than the fact that the writer uses SET triodes, the other words that form the sentence tell us absolutely nothing. No one knows what finesse, nuance, and subtleties are, as they relate to an amplifier. I think I know what 'a high level of energy' and 'rockin' rhythmic drive' is, but only in relation to playing an electric guitar.

Funny enough, the writer is equivocal, using the adverb 'perhaps' at the beginning of his description string, meaning he isn't even sure of what he is attempting to claim.

Once again, proving that these sorts of items are sold on 'vibe', and the feelings they create within the emotional psyche of users. Nothing wrong with that. Especially if you are a woman. But one should at least be honest about it, and not make up auditory stuff that is attributed to the product itself.

I think it's fair to say that my subjective comments were not meant for this audience, so please ignore. In fact, do ignore. As you mentioned in a prior post, different demographics. However, please give me some credit for what's useful to this audience, like below!

Schiit Folkvangr
1kHz steady state sine 0dbU into 300-ohms
High-Gain
upload_2022-6-30_22-31-16.png

1657121539225.png

The 'reviewer' is correct, however, when he states that $1800.00 today is not going to have the buying power of that sum, next year. I don't usually give economic oriented advice, but if he is looking for a hedge against inflation, I'd suggest he instead spend his dollars on a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Not only will a Studio cost a bit less than the Schiit, but the guitar will immediately allow for authentic rockin' rhythmic drive. Not only that, but in ten years, when the Volk is worthless, the Gibson will be at least worth whatever he paid for it. And if he is lucky enough to get Joe, Jimmy, Jeff or Eric to autograph it, he might even be able to sell it for a lot more. On the other hand, if Mike signs the Schiit, it will still be worth about as much as ten year old Schiit.

All audio gear is a waste of money. I'm quick to point out that audio gear is not an investment, or at least an investment into zero. I do think if you have money to blow, it's a good time to blow it because of current inflation, that's all I'm saying.

Since you are so kind to offer me investment advice: I prefer to invest in real-estate, businesses that I believe in, and a small portion in stocks (which I equate to gambling).

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All audio gear is a waste of money.
I don't know. If you get some use out of it, how is that a waste of money? And if you're lucky, you can even hold your own, down the road. Or at least not take too much of a beating. Hell, a lowly PAS or ST-70 from '59 or '60 will recoup your original purchase price, and maybe more, if it's still boxed and not built. Check your attic. Of course no audio gear is going to top that '59 LP burst that hasn't been taken out of the case--the one you find stored in that old trunk. But if you discover one of those, you won't even have to worry about the bath you are going to take on the Schiit, in the resale market, because you'll be set in the dollar department.

But seriously. I'm not anti-Schiit. Not at all. I think some of their stuff is a reasonable value proposition. In fact I own a couple of their pieces. In a closet somewhere. If I ever needed to use them, I'd do it. I'm just not going to go out of my way to plumb the depths of my emotions, and then make silly stuff up about what I'm hearing, attributing it to the gear. No one should be doing that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"5-Year Warranty and Easy Return Policy
Folkvangr is covered by a 5-year limited warranty that covers parts and labor."

That thing looks stupendous and inviting.
(@watchnerd has the coolest Schiit headphone amp though. Can't remember the model.)
folkvangr-front-blk-1920.jpg

folkvangr-rr-1920.jpg

I have the tube-solid state hybrid one.

The discontinued, now a cult item, Mjolnir 2:

01f228_e6acead3bcc94ffba5d600b95b7c2189.jpg

I haven't listened to it a while.

Thanks for reminding me, the Matsushita tubes are warming up as I type.

Ardbeg already poured.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks kind of cool.
That's a understatement of the year. It looks fantasticO! :D I would buy one even if it has tubes. Not against tubes except I don't like them sticking out and taking a chance that I would damage one or some and stuff like that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's a understatement of the year. It looks fantasticO! :D I would buy one even if it has tubes. Not against tubes except I don't like them sticking out and taking a chance that I would damage one or some and stuff like that.

I almost pulled the trigger on it.

But even my wife would notice the difference in equipment with all those tubes.

I couldn't smuggle it in like I do with cartridges.

Top Bottom