• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

MRC01

Major Contributor
Schiit just released it's bigger brother, Loki Max.
Wow, that's an over-the-top implementation of an EQ. Why would they go through all that effort, then sprinkle the center frequencies with no rhyme nor reason? They should set the center frequencies equally spaced at octave/ratio intervals.

Jim Taylor

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, that's an over-the-top implementation of an EQ. Why would they go through all that effort, then sprinkle the center frequencies with no rhyme nor reason? They should set the center frequencies equally spaced at octave/ratio intervals.

Please allow me to add my two poor, beaten and tarnished cents worth:
In "the old days", recordists were interested in certain frequencies, relating to male voice, female voice, mid-horn, center-octave piano and so on and so forth. The center frequencies for these were not equally spaced.
The reason for this (other than gain-riding) was to produce a certain "style", or a certain "sound", that would sell recordings. It made the recording more "interesting". This attempt to make recordings more "interesting" still persists today ..... in fact, it may be stronger today than it was 40-50 years ago.
Therefore, this style of EQ responds more to industry practices than anything else. Jim Taylor

mhardy6647

Major Contributor
1500 smackers?!?!
Jeepers.

peniku8

You may still want to give a try to a good old analog graphic EQ.
I'll test this one, one day or another.
It's sounding pretty good.
Does it measure well ?
We'll see.
5RHDkQ2.jpg

Finally got around measuring my Rane 30-band GEQ. 99db THD+N, a few db better than this Shiit.
Noise with no signal playing is -110db, dominated by mains hum and its harmonics. Will post a full 'review' in a new thread some time.

Reactions: m8o

Bob from Florida

1500 smackers?!?!
Jeepers.
Not a bad price when you consider what you are getting. Each band has its own ladder based volume control! A total analog solution with presets! Pre-out to Loki Max in - Loki Max out to power in. Use your smart phone app for spectrum analyzer and use a sweep cd and tweak your bands with the remote and save preset. This could work pretty well....

Top Bottom