• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hardware real-time spectrum analyzers and peak level meters?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any tips on cheap desktop (not rack) hardware products, that have real-time spectrum analyzers and/or peak level meters? These could be a cool addition to many systems. I personally miss the spectrum analyzer of the RME ADI-2 Pro I no longer have... :)

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
There are many DIY LED kits for example on eBay but I am looking for maybe a bit more PRO device...

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I have tried. No luck yet. That's why I am asking for tips.

Habu

Hello from France

Maybe TC Electronic Clarity M or Clarity M Stereo.....

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...ors/Meters/CLARITY-M/p/P0C7T#googtrans(en|en)

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...ers/CLARITY-M-STEREO/p/P0DC8#googtrans(en|en)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tc-electronic-clarity-m

IMG_2176.PNG

Sincerely yours

Habu

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Habu

Last edited:

DWPress

Forum Donor
How about one of these? I had all the parts and made it for about $1.00.

IMG_6528.jpg

DWPress

Forum Donor
LOL, NO!

It's an iPhone 4s or 5 (I forget) with a $4 app called Spectrum which also does octave, FFT and spectral plots in various ways that I use on my current phone. I'm a bookbinder and printer so wrapping it up in some book board and pleather took about 10 minutes. Just made this prototype earlier this week when I saw someone else posting about the expensive single purpose boards on eBay from Asia.

Who among us on this list doesn't have a few old smartphones in a drawer? You could buy an old iPhone for less than one of the "new" OLED screen toys and use it just for this.

I thought briefly about marketing the enclosure but that sounds like a nightmare with all the different phone sizes and shapes so I'll let someone else steal this idea and stick to making books.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yeah, but it has tubes...

DWPress

Forum Donor
Yeah, but it has tubes...
\
LOL, that's an unused little tube buffer sitting behind the display. Great idea though - little led light on top with a tube glued on it and I could charge $200 instead of the $20 I was thinking...

Here are some better pics. Anyone should be able to figure out the basic pieces based on these and make one for themselves:

IMG_6530.JPG IMG_6531.JPG IMG_6533.JPG IMG_6534.JPG IMG_6535.JPG

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Nice!! This is an innovative idea and I do have several old iPhones laying around in the house. Kudos to this DIY! :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
\
LOL, that's an unused little tube buffer sitting behind the display. Great idea though - little led light on top with a tube glued on it and I could charge $200 instead of the $20 I was thinking...

Here are some better pics. Anyone should be able to figure out the basic pieces based on these and make one for themselves:

View attachment 24260 View attachment 24261 View attachment 24262 View attachment 24263 View attachment 24264

Does this power up like a dedicated analyzer?

I found the Android phones allow you to alter the boot manager and launch the app at start. I have a couple of old iPhones and at least one iPad that I could use for this.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I don't think it's super accurate because it's using the phones microphone so whatever limitations might be involved there and phone placement - thus the perforations on the enclosure where the mouth would be. If there were a way to bring audio into the phones I'd suspect there's enough computational power.

Edit: It was a fun toy for the desk but discovered phones don't like to be plugged in all the time so too much fiddling with rebooting and such.

Last edited:
Top Bottom