• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where does the Speaka/XtremProX1 USB DAC fall into these ratings (or was methodology too different to include in these lists)?

Thanks

I'd like to know this too - it would be great if Amir could re-measure it using the new analyzer for a proper comparison, as some full-sized headphones need more power than these dongles can output so it would be good to know if the XtremPro X1 / Speaka would be a good alternative.

Speaka is piece of garbage. I bought it. It sounds muddy and boomy. Amir's measurements show it can resolve only 15 bits. Haven't tried Apple dongle. Tried Hifime Sabre 9018 - it is good, but not cheap.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I doubt it. Not much profit in a $9 dongle or supplying the ear buds with a built in DAC/amp included rather than just the socket.
There is alot of profit when you figure millions of $9 dongles sold (that probably cost $1 to mfg) and then how many people will isntead opt to purchase $100 headphones (that really cost $10-15 to build) that will instead break in 1 year and thats another $100.

Its all about the money and nothing else.
Will it backfire, though? It might mean that people hang on to older phones with headphone sockets for longer, or buy used instead of new.
It has been backfiring, any phone without a headphone jack has poor sales. This is part of the reason that mfg's have been releasing new phones every 3-6 months now. The sales are so bad they are just trying to upgrade the phones every chance they can get. Look at the profit margins from all the phone companies.... they are completely in the toilet (even apple's) because people don't want this anti-consumer trash.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Amir's measurements show it can resolve only 15 bits.

Actually he used stricter criteria for the Speaka, a maximum of 0.1dB deviation from linearity compared to 0.5dB for his more recent measurements like the Apple dongle. From the Speaka review: "Using my 0.1 dB criteria, it stops at 15 bits of resolution but going beyond nothing bad happens with max error remaining pretty small." Comparing the graphs for both, you can see the Speaka is actually better than the Apple dongle in this area, 'resolving' 20 bits (-120dB) to Apple's 18 bits, under the new criteria of max 0.5dB deviation from linearity:

index.php

index.php

So it's possible the Speaka could actually be as good as or even better than the Apple dongle in other areas as well (in addition to being more powerful) - we'd just need @amirm to confirm this by measuring it with his new analyzer for a fair comparison.

Last edited:

duo8

It has been backfiring, any phone without a headphone jack has poor sales. This is part of the reason that mfg's have been releasing new phones every 3-6 months now. The sales are so bad they are just trying to upgrade the phones every chance they can get. Look at the profit margins from all the phone companies.... they are completely in the toilet (even apple's) because people don't want this anti-consumer trash.
iPhones still sell.
People don't buy phones because smartphones stagnated. New models no longer provide enough of an improvement over the previous ones to justify an upgrade, and the $1000 phones trend of the past few years didn't help.
Rapid release has been a thing for ages. If we consider only the flagship space though phone release schedule hasn't changed much in the past few years.

gelo_mc

"Linearity shows what is to be expected when 24 bit source samples are truncated to 16 bits (which again, could be a driver issue in Windows):"

Would the result differ if you change the driver setting to a higher resolution?

1572824507268.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Linearity shows what is to be expected when 24 bit source samples are truncated to 16 bits (which again, could be a driver issue in Windows):"

Would the result differ if you change the driver setting to a higher resolution?
No, I bypass the Windows audio stack.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the S8 integrated output is as good as the Note 9, you probably don't have to regret that it's not compatible with the S8 either.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
(Virtins Multi Instrument 3.8, WAV file recorded from sine generator, played with Foobar app on Note 9,
Note's Headphone Jack out, RME ADI-2 Pro fs as ADC, +4dBu = 0dBFS,
Driver limits to 16 bits)
2019-11-08 15_16_15-Greenshot.png

bobbooo

Major Contributor
If the S8 integrated output is as good as the Note 9, you probably don't have to regret that it's not compatible with the S8 either.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
(Virtins Multi Instrument 3.8, WAV file recorded from sine generator, played with Foobar app on Note 9,
Note's Headphone Jack out, RME ADI-2 Pro fs as ADC, +4dBu = 0dBFS,
Driver limits to 16 bits)
View attachment 38384

Is that the Exynos or Qualcomm Snapdragon variant of the Note 9?

It seems like most modern smartphones (or at least the LG and Samsung flagships) are pretty much transparent, so there is very little need for a dedicated DAC these days. The LG G7 has been measured here, but it would be great if @amirm could add more evidence for this by measuring his S8+ with the new analyzer, so we can can do a direct comparison with other DACs/amps.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Exynos, I think.
Model is SM-N960F.

The Snapdragon variants of the Note 9, and the S8+, would likely be even better if they're as good as the S10 one (the Snapdragon S8-10 and Note 8-10 all have the same audio chip):

SnapdragonAudio.png

(Measurement of the Snapdragon S10+ by Anandtech)

We'd need full measurements of the S8+ by Amir with his new rig to confirm this for sure though.

Last edited:

letsgoo

Oh there is no driver on s8? That is the reason that my note 8 couldn't play thorugh the meizu dac, what many ppl buy nowadays in Korea instead of samsung dac you are reviewing.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Theo

Its all about the money and nothing else.

You're right about the money.
I am not sure however that the phone sales are that bad, although I agree that there is a slump. Is the reason for the decrease that people care about the dongle or is it the saturated market?
I would guess that the strategy to make money is to sell wireless earbuds, which are more than 200$ and last a couple of tear due to battery life...

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I don't know how the CPU type may impact the sound performance.
Is that different DAC/output chips too?

Yes, they have different DACs inside - the Exynos models tend to have Cirrus Logic chips (CS47L93 for the S10), whereas the Snapdragon variants have Qualcomm audio chips (WCD9341 for the S10).

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, unlike Amir, Soundguys are not transparent about what equipment they use for their measurements (all they say is they use a "dedicated interface" with Audio RightMark), so it's hard to fully trust their results.
Well, from the picture they publish, it pretty much looks like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to me.

duo8

Yes, they have different DACs inside - the Exynos models tend to have Cirrus Logic chips (CS47L93 for the S10), whereas the Snapdragon variants have Qualcomm audio chips (WCD9341 for the S10).
If it's the CS47L93 and the audio circuit remains mostly the same then performance should be similar to the Exynos S8, which 0db tested here

Top Bottom