• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Asylum Seeker

Yes, that's why I was looking forward to receiving them.
With any buds the SQ is super dependent on the seal - so perhaps its just that none of the supplied tips worked for me(?).
I really don't put much stock in the AKG branding.
My second thought is that perhaps they're OK for casual listening when compared to wireless alternatives, but just don't compare well to decent wired headphones(?).
In any case they just didn't work for me, I preferred the cheap KSC75X with the dongle. However the later, being an open headphone, offers no isolation so only suitable for quiet environments. Same goes for the much superior HD58X HP's.
Well, yes, fit and seal in the ear canal is fundamental in all cases. Case in both points you raised. I recently bought a pair of BQEYZ KC2 Chi-Fi IEMs. The included tips, as with most Chi-Fi IEMs, are inadequate. So I changed the tips and they are now my top recommendation for budget under-$40 IEM. A wired $40 IEM still sounds better than the top BT offerings, I am afraid. But this is not to say that BT earbuds are bad. Far from it.

Sinquito

Actually using Apple dongle on Xiaomi phone. Select usbHQ in HibyMusic to avoid power limit. I can also get volume control with my old iPhone compatible Sony earbuds :cool:

If you use usbHQ in HibyMusic and exiti the app, the high power output stays enabled? I mean to buy the Apple dongle to use with Android (Galaxy S20) but I only use Spotify, so I need a way to enable high power output without rooting on all apps.

Sinquito

FWIW the Samsung dongle drives my 150 ohm Sennheiser HD58X headphones very well.
Not surprisingly, the SQ from the HD58X far exceeds the cheap Koss KSC75X I mentioned above - so the dongle scales well with better headphones.
I'm waiting on a Meizo Pro dongle as I'm curious to see if the better technical performance brings discernible SQ gains.
For those thinking wireless may be the way to go with newer phones like the S20 - I was very disappointed with the SQ from the complementary Samsung Buds+. Mine are back in the box. YMMV.

I used to have the Koss KSC75 (I actually owned two pairs), excellent sound for the price, I have a pair of HD600 which I love and I read that the HD58X are very similar and also hard to drive, so it's good to hear that the little Samsung dongle can drive them somehow.

I haven't heard the Buds+, but I do own the first gen Buds and I read that they sound pretty alike. To me the first gen Buds are great, probably the second or third best sounding True Wireless earphone I have owned (number 1 would be the Sony WF-1000XM3). Besides the sound I really enjoy the fit and discrete looks of the Buds and the battery life, charging case and overall features are also great for me.

keepit100

Does anyone know if this would work in non-samsung phones ? I have a Xiaomi Note 8 (which is rooted)

Also, my use is mostly Spotify - is there a way to make use of this dongle (or any dongle) and Spotify - Does the below mean if my phone is rooted, I can use a dongle and spotify ?

if you use usbHQ in HibyMusic and exiti the app, the high power output stays enabled? I mean to buy the Apple dongle to use with Android (Galaxy S20) but I only use Spotify, so I need a way to enable high power output without rooting on all apps.

Loki

Is there any android video player app like HibyMusic that can unlock full HW volume? Or is there a way to unlock full amp power on android without rooting?
samsung dongle works with nokia 6.1, g5s, m30s (not with a50) with limited power output but on windows 10 pc's power is almost double. I use iems only.

Sinquito

Does anyone know if this would work in non-samsung phones ? I have a Xiaomi Note 8 (which is rooted)

Also, my use is mostly Spotify - is there a way to make use of this dongle (or any dongle) and Spotify - Does the below mean if my phone is rooted, I can use a dongle and spotify ?

if you use usbHQ in HibyMusic and exiti the app, the high power output stays enabled? I mean to buy the Apple dongle to use with Android (Galaxy S20) but I only use Spotify, so I need a way to enable high power output without rooting on all apps.

See this thread on XDA developers:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/apple-usb-c-to-3-5mm-dac-dongle-android-t3917495

Also, see below for other option.

Is there any android video player app like HibyMusic that can unlock full HW volume? Or is there a way to unlock full amp power on android without rooting?
samsung dongle works with nokia 6.1, g5s, m30s (not with a50) with limited power output but on windows 10 pc's power is almost double. I use iems only.

I been using the Apple USB C dongle on a Samsung Galaxy S20 (Exynos) and to have more power output (volume) I use a trick that I read here:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/xduoo-link-review-a16d1ab22efb

Basically, you need to purchase USB Audio Player Pro on Google Play, then plug the dongle, then set the hardware volume of the dongle to max. using the app, then close the app and then open Youtube/Spotify or other app you want to listen to.

It works, but I rather buy a better dongle and forget about this, but for $7 dollars it works for me.

Sinquito

I just bought the Samsung dongle on Amazon, hopefully it will work ok without USB Audio Pro on my S20.

eladri100

I think there is only one available from Samsung.
Does anybody know if the version reviewed here (which is the US version EE-UC10JUWEGUS I presume) is exactly the same as the EU version EE-UC10JUWEGWW?
I don't know if Samsung has followed Apple footsteps making an inferior dongle for EU like Apple EU Model A2155 with less power than US Model A2049.

Last edited:

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Amir! Some ideas/suggestions on testing these USB dongles:

Power consumption really matters. Some audio dongles consume as little as 30 mA on standby and less than 100 while playing, while others go well over 100 just on standby. A power hungry audio dongle can take such huge chunks out of a smartphone's battery performance that it may be impractical.

Supported sample rates and bit depths: It would be useful to know for sure which sample rates a device supports natively and to know if it forces bit depth change. Several times I've seen you mention that you don't know if the device is truncating bit depth or if it's your test equipment or your Windows OS. Surely this means your testing regime needs improving?

julian_hughes

I've used this Samsung dongle for a few days now. It's really quite bad. There is noise. Odd little soft clicks in the background. It doesn't happen with my other USB DAC dongles (LG HiFi Plus & some cheap Sabaj copy of an SMSL and an ancient HiFiMeDIY device). The Samsung also picks up interference from 4G LTE. Finally it just sounds quite horrible even when being fed with USB Audio Player Pro in bit perfect mode with no bit depth truncation or sample rate conversion. There is something harsh and unpleasant with higher tones, especially percussive ones such as strings being struck. In its favour it clearly has very low impedance and low power consumption but this in no way makes up for its intrusive noises and unpleasant rendering. For comparison my best static kit is JDS Atom amp being fed by a Topping D10 and my best portable kit is my LG V20 as is or occasionally with the HiFi Plus (seemingly lower impedance, definitely finer grained volume control, so better with multi balanced armatures).

The SINAD value and all the other measurements fail to identify some very fundamental problems i.e. plainly audible system noise and 4G LTE interference. Surely these real world issues must be important enough to outweigh the measurements, or at least inform the decision to make a recommendation?

sotiridaf

Is any possibility that this dongle has just a analog 3.5mm and not a dac? And just get analog signal from usb c; Since Samsung smartphones have already and internal dac ....

sotiridaf

I've used this Samsung dongle for a few days now. It's really quite bad. There is noise. Odd little soft clicks in the background. It doesn't happen with my other USB DAC dongles (LG HiFi Plus & some cheap Sabaj copy of an SMSL and an ancient HiFiMeDIY device). The Samsung also picks up interference from 4G LTE. Finally it just sounds quite horrible even when being fed with USB Audio Player Pro in bit perfect mode with no bit depth truncation or sample rate conversion. There is something harsh and unpleasant with higher tones, especially percussive ones such as strings being struck. In its favour it clearly has very low impedance and low power consumption but this in no way makes up for its intrusive noises and unpleasant rendering. For comparison my best static kit is JDS Atom amp being fed by a Topping D10 and my best portable kit is my LG V20 as is or occasionally with the HiFi Plus (seemingly lower impedance, definitely finer grained volume control, so better with multi balanced armatures).

The SINAD value and all the other measurements fail to identify some very fundamental problems i.e. plainly audible system noise and 4G LTE interference. Surely these real world issues must be important enough to outweigh the measurements, or at least inform the decision to make a recommendation?

Are you sure you have an original? I use mine with Samsung S8 with not the issues you mention :)

johnk

Does anybody know if this Samsung dongle works well with Google Pixel phones?
I am struggling to find a reasonable dongle (I have had 2 apple ones die so they are useless) and the Meizu Pro is impossible to buy ..
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

julian_hughes

Does anybody know if this Samsung dongle works well with Google Pixel phones?
I am struggling to find a reasonable dongle (I have had 2 apple ones die so they are useless) and the Meizu Pro is impossible to buy ..
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Try the Musiland MU1. It's reasonably priced & easily available. I have the Musiland & also the Samsung. The Musiland is much better because it isn't affected by noise from 4G/LTE whereas with the Samsung you get a blast of noise fairly often. With sensitive IEMs you can also hear some ticking noises in the background. The Musiland has zero issues. Also it supports 88.2 kHz & 176.4 kHz sample rates which the Samsung doesn't.
I use the Musiland with Massdrop Plus IEMs, Koss Porta Pro, Sennheiser Momentum II headphones, HiFiMan planars & it's great.

johnk

Try the Musiland MU1. It's reasonably priced & easily available. I have the Musiland & also the Samsung. The Musiland is much better because it isn't affected by noise from 4G/LTE whereas with the Samsung you get a blast of noise fairly often. With sensitive IEMs you can also hear some ticking noises in the background. The Musiland has zero issues. Also it supports 88.2 kHz & 176.4 kHz sample rates which the Samsung doesn't.
I use the Musiland with Massdrop Plus IEMs, Koss Porta Pro, Sennheiser Momentum II headphones, HiFiMan planars & it's great.
Thanks for the suggestion. It is still a bit hard to track down here in Australia. This is the best option I have found so far, and the exchange rate is looking quite good at the moment.
https://penonaudio.com/musiland-mu1-type-c-to-3.5mm.html

johnk

Thank you for the link. Looking on the store they also have the MU2S which looks very tempting indeed.

julian_hughes

The MU2 versions draw more power from your phone. For use with a phone I would choose the cheaper MU1 or the much more expensive MU3 which also has very low power draw.

Top Bottom