• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

asteroth

Any idea which drivers does this dongle need to work on Windows 7?
It is geniune, bought from Samsung and it presents itself as: "Samsung Type-C to 3.5pi gender adapter"
But device manager also specifies: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

On Windows 10, it seems to use this one automatically: AudioEndpoint.inf

[Version] Signature="$Windows NT$" Provider=%MSFT% ClassGUID={C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E} Class=AudioEndpoint DriverVer = 12/06/2019,10.0.19041.1 [ControlFlags] BasicDriverOk=* ExcludeFromSelect=* PreConfigureDriver=* [ClassInstall32] AddReg = ClassInstall_AddReg [ClassInstall_AddReg] HKR,,,0,%ClassName% HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1 HKR,,SilentInstall,,1 HKR,,IconPath,%REG_MULTI_SZ%,"%%SystemRoot%%\system32\mmres.dll,-3004" [Manufacturer] %MSFT%=Microsoft, NTamd64 [Microsoft.NTamd64] %MSFT.AudioEndpoint% = NO_DRV,MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints [NO_DRV] [NO_DRV.Services] AddService = , %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE% ; null service install [strings] ;Localizable Strings MSFT = "Microsoft" ClassName = "Audio inputs and outputs" MSFT.AudioEndpoint = "Audio Endpoint" ;Non-Localizable Strings SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002 REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000

I tried to add it in Windows 7, but it doesn't see it.

Last edited:

IndieSynth

This might already be a known fix, but just in case here is how I get this dongle to work on my Motorola phone.

When first plugged in I get sound but a lot of background hiss, so I guess the dongle is just feeding audio from the phones crappy dac.

Using the Hiby app I click on 'exclusive hq usb access'. White noise is gone, but no sound from Spotify. Unclick the setting. Still no white noise but now I get sound from Spotify! Very clean pleasant sound as well. I'm assuming that this click then unclick process somehow forces audio through the dongle dac. It works anyway, and without the background noise. I'm curious to know if this is replicable on other phones?

unpluggged

I guess the dongle is just feeding audio from the phones crappy dac
No.

I'm assuming that this click then unclick process somehow forces audio through the dongle dac. It works anyway, and without the background noise. I'm curious to know if this is replicable on other phones?
Probably it has to do with hardware volume control, similarly to the Apple dongle's behavior on Android devices.

IndieSynth

Ah interesting, I'd read elsewhere that in some cases the dongle just acts as pass through. I don't notice much of a change in volume when I do the steps described but the absence of background noise is very noticeable, in fact essential to enjoyable listening.

Is there any way to fix the noise issue permanently or is this workaround necessary?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah interesting, I'd read elsewhere that in some cases the dongle just acts as pass through.
Headphone dongles can be one of two types:

-passive adapters, converting analog audio from USB-C to 3.5mm
This requires a compatible phone that supports analog output via USB-C

-active USB DAC+Amps

AFAIK, no dongle exists that supports both of these modes. It's either one or the other.

Top Bottom