• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

daniboun

Major Contributor
How could it be any better than the reference design?

See what Topping did with the PA5 and TPA3251 chip.... It is better than the TI reference model ))) (thanks to their secret OP amps and high end inductors).

Probably a new implementation too for the A8 inside....

mario_rouge

We also saw RME beating AK4493 specs by short for example. Fine. But we are here talking about chip implementations VS all-integrated modules like IcePower, Ncore NC-MP and so on.
how do you explain the differences in measurements between these two amplifiers that use the same module?

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
how do you explain the differences in measurements between these two amplifiers that use the same module?

It is possible to make the performance worse - looks like the DIY amp has introduced mains supply noise, that is not on the Yamaha.

mario_rouge

It is possible to make the performance worse - looks like the DIY amp has introduced mains supply noise, that is not on the Yamaha.
could you suggest me a good cheap xlr cable? I would like to buy a Cordial cable with xlr Rean connector.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry - can't help. Never bought an xlr cable in my life. If I were doing so, I'd probably get something basic from Amazon.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See what Topping did with the PA5 and TPA3251 chip.... It is better than the TI reference model ))) (thanks to their secret OP amps and high end inductors).

Probably a new implementation too for the A8 inside....
See my answer above : how better "implementation" of any IcePower module would be a thing ? If so, it would imply some onboard modifications. I don't see this happening at 259$ for a full integrated amp. But I would be glad to be wrong.
Different test settings (7 VS 24dB Gain), scales and bandwidths. The rest is on production margins of error (like variations we saw between same NC-MP modules), with clearly something wrong with one channel for the DIY review sample.

In any cases, both perform either worse or at best on par with datasheet to me.

I would like to buy a Cordial cable with xlr Rean connector.
I use Cordial XLRs for measurements with my E1DA Cosmos. Not any difference measured to speak about against my reference Canare L-4E6S/Neutrik.

mario_rouge

See my answer above : how better "implementation" of any IcePower module would be a thing ? If so, it would imply some onboard modifications. I don't see this happening at 259$ for a full integrated amp. But I would be glad to be wrong.

Different test settings (7 VS 24dB Gain), scales and bandwidths. The rest is on production margins of error (like variations we saw between same NC-MP modules), with clearly something wrong with one channel for the DIY review sample.

In any cases, both perform either worse or at best on par with datasheet to me.

I use Cordial XLRs for measurements with my E1DA Cosmos. Not any difference measured to speak about against my reference Canare L-4E6S/Neutrik.
Neutrik or Rean Neutrik?

could you suggest me a good cheap xlr cable? I would like to buy a Cordial cable with xlr Rean connector.
If you want very good quality cables for cheap when compared to the overpriced audiophile snake oil, then go to a local Pro Audio Store (one that provides live P.A. service if possible) and ask for Neutrik nickel NC3MXX (silver pins) male XLR plugs and NC3FXX female XLR equivalent 3 pin plugs (about $5 each), you will need two of each.
Then buy a few meters of the low capacitance digital Canare DA206 or DA202 if 206 isn't available (about $8 per meter) and tell them to solder a pair for you, shouldn't charge much for the service, or buy a soldering Iron and practice on your own cables, pretty hard to completely suff it up.
The Neutrik connectors can also be had in right angle if that suits better.

The Bridge mode is only available when using the balanced inputs (XLR).
RCA = only for SE mode.

Maybe is a stack ICEpower 125ASX2 modules, size : 160x80x32.6 and the A8 is 200X59x208

Some measurements in BTL mode of the ICEpower125ASX2 module (source : Icepower)

clavier russe virtuel

Let s see if the Sabaj implementation is now better )
Thanks for that, they must be from the icepower data sheet, I'm not much good at deciphering these test charts, I can see the frequency drops about 3dB by 10khz and close to 6dB by 20khz this is beyond my hearing.
The top charts blue trace is intermodulation distortion I think ? looks reasonably low, the bottom charts are distortion vs power and noise ? I think, and I'm not clear on these,
Some help would be appreciated, how puch power, watts is produced before audible distortion kicks in, maybe instead of the traditional 1% lets say half that .5%, is that audible ?,
also is the 125ASX2 capable of a S/N ratio above 100dB A-weighted, if that is still a standard ?

I guess what I'm asking is, are these older and relatively cheap boards able to provide a sound that is hard to pick any difference when compared to the newer and better measuring offerings from the more expensive Hypex and Purify (obviously when not pushed into distortion).

mario_rouge

Thanks for that, they must be from the icepower data sheet, I'm not much good at deciphering these test charts, I can see the frequency drops about 3dB by 10khz and close to 6dB by 20khz this is beyond my hearing.
The top charts blue trace is intermodulation distortion I think ? looks reasonably low, the bottom charts are distortion vs power and noise ? I think, and I'm not clear on these,
Some help would be appreciated, how puch power, watts is produced before audible distortion kicks in, maybe instead of the traditional 1% lets say half that .5%, is that audible ?,
also is the 125ASX2 capable of a S/N ratio above 100dB A-weighted, if that is still a standard ?

I guess what I'm asking is, are these older and relatively cheap boards able to provide a sound that is hard to pick any difference when compared to the newer and better measuring offerings from the more expensive Hypex and Purify (obviously when not pushed into distortion).
Post in thread 'ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...2-class-d-amplifier-review.10442/post-1037824

Excellent, thanks for that,
It seems it would be hard to distinguish any sound differences, as long as not pushed into distortion, but with about 200 clean watts at 8 ohms, it should be ok.

Hopefully the implementation doesn't make it worse than than icepowers specs, including the noise / build quality, volume pot selection, switch and external case.
All taking the very reasonable price into consideration of course.

I look forward to your impressions Mario.
Cheers.

Top Bottom