• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

Roland68

Major Contributor
It's saying out of stock. Can anyone check and report back?
10 in stock and available on amazon.de.
You should have grabbed the Prime Days 2 days ago, it was cheaper then.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-14 um 12.07.13.png

marX

10 in stock and available on amazon.de.
You should have grabbed the Prime Days 2 days ago, it was cheaper then.

View attachment 298966
I tried searching but this model was not showing up in the search. BTW, it's still showing as out of stock for me.
May be because I'm ordering it from the UK?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How poor is the analogue in on these? Would it be better to go for a phono pre with a usb out?
The analogue in is almost certainly better than the performance of vinyl, or most other purely analogue sources. I'd not worry about it.

jhnpennington

The analogue in is almost certainly better than the performance of vinyl, or most other purely analogue sources. I'd not worry about it.
Thank you, I really appreciate your help. BTW I’m very impressed with how good this thing is. It really gets a grip of my Acoustic Energy 309 floorstanders. Also the PCM to PWM conversion sounds better than any DAC I’ve ever owned.

Vlalman

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to Hi-Fi. My journey started with connecting B&W PX7 to a computer with Type-c and I was amazed.

Now going to build more or less budget speaker setup. Will be using my MacBook Air M1 as a source for a while and Sabaj A30a is my choice as an amp. Speaker setup will be started with Philips MCD 908 speakers (with jet tweeters). Soon they will be upgraded with Monitor Audio Server 100 (or anything at this price-point sounding better – will test in store). Once I'll connect a sub

For now I have a question. Shall I buy a DAC for Sabaj A30a or there will be no difference as analog signal will be converted to digital to be amplified? I see there is Type-c input to connect it with my computer. But if needed I can connect it to a DAC wired with Sabaj A30a by RCA

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!
For now I have a question. Shall I buy a DAC for Sabaj A30a or there will be no difference as analog signal will be converted to digital to be amplified? I see there is Type-c input to connect it with my computer. But if needed I can connect it to a DAC wired with Sabaj A30a by RCA
It is best to forgo the separate DAC. The Sabaj A30a uses the Axign AX5689 amplifier controller for amplification, which operates in the digital domain. For this reason, all analog inputs to the A30a will need to be A/D converted into digital before they can be amplified. Direct digital inputs into the A30a will skip the A/D conversion step.

linuxfan

What NTK said.
Connect your MacBook Air via USB to the A30a. macOS should recognise the A30a as a valid USB interface, and you're ready to go.

Vlalman

What NTK said.
Connect your MacBook Air via USB to the A30a. macOS should recognise the A30a as a valid USB interface, and you're ready to go.
Seems to be a way for even easier start than I thought.
Welcome to ASR!

It is best to forgo the separate DAC. The Sabaj A30a uses the Axign AX5689 amplifier controller for amplification, which operates in the digital domain. For this reason, all analog inputs to the A30a will need to be A/D converted into digital before they can be amplified. Direct digital inputs into the A30a will skip the A/D conversion step.
Thanks for the detailed explanation

And following this idea, if I get a streamer (f.e SMSL SD-9)
or use my dad's Rega cd-player, I should use optical in. Am I right?

Finally if I want to upgrade my headphone listening experience with planar headphones, this way I also don't need a DAC as other Sabaj amps come with type-c in? That's convenient for a beginner)

Last edited:

linuxfan

The Sabaj A30a provides both coaxial and optical s/pdif inputs. You could connect an SMSL SD-9 via optical, and a Rega CD player via coaxial, or vice-versa. Either way, the A30a allows you to switch from one to the other at the touch of a button on the remote control.

Finally if I want to upgrade my headphone listening experience with planar headphones, this way I also don't need a DAC as other Sabaj amps come with type-c in?
Well the full-digital concept applies only to class-D amplifiers. For headphones listening of digital sources, you will need a DAC plus headphone amplifier, or DAC with inbuilt headphone amplifier. I wouldn't necessarily look to Sabaj for such product(s), but if you do, all Sabaj DAC's have inbuilt headphone amplification.

Vlalman

The Sabaj A30a provides both coaxial and optical s/pdif inputs. You could connect an SMSL SD-9 via optical, and a Rega CD player via coaxial, or vice-versa. Either way, the A30a allows you to switch from one to the other at the touch of a button on the remote control.
That is an elegant idea! Like that solution. Thanks
I wouldn't necessarily look to Sabaj for such product(s)
That seems to be a new field for my research))) Thanks for help. As not to flood this thread with headphone amp questions will rather go to some other thread))))

DACslut

I just got an A30a during Prime days. What's the first thing(s) I should do besides hooking everything up and NOT reading the manual? Subwoofer integration will be soon. I already have decent speaker wire, interconnects, etc.

ohnonotagain

I just got an A30a during Prime days. What's the first thing(s) I should do besides hooking everything up and NOT reading the manual? Subwoofer integration will be soon. I already have decent speaker wire, interconnects, etc.
If you don't have the subwoofer yet, you'll want to go into the menu and set the subwoofer frequency to "off". Obviously, once you have the subwoofer, you'll then want to go back to that setting and change it to whatever works best with your speakers and subwoofer.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello Amigos,

First I apologize for my silence....I have been away from the forum for a long time.

I just got myself a Sabaj A30A. For those who know me a little ... I have a plethora of amps including a Topping LA90 / Purifi / Hypex Ncore NC500 / Topping LA5 etc etc ...

While impatiently awaiting the measurements of the SABAJ, I compared it to my LA90 + FiiOK9 PRO dual ESS ES9038PRO combo. Besides, I take this opportunity to say that I am really surprised that this FiiO K9 Pro ESS DAC has never been measured... because it is a gem in every way! anyway....

I specify that I use my Sabaj A30A in Bluetooth connectivity with the LDAC codec, equalization totally flat, only in 2.0 mode (no sub). My streamer is a Sony Xperia which natively supports LDAC which is obviously the codec of the Japanese brand).
I can tell you that with my ADS speakers (89db sensitivity) based on Satori TeXtreme / ESS Heil AMT3 woofers (latest version), the result is quite impressive.
It's quite difficult for me to hear the difference between my Combo LA90 / Fiio K9 Pro ESS and the Sabaj A30A.

Listening remains neutral, balanced, on my HD albums everything is there, from bottom to top of the spectrum. I take as much pleasure as with my Topping LA90. The Sabaj A30A is completely silent, even when my ears are glued to my Heil AMT3s and at maximum volume, absolutely dead silence! (I specify that this is not the case with my Purifi or my Hypex Ncore NC500.)

On the other hand, I notified a defect concerning the exponentiality of the volume curve in Bluetooth mode via my Sony Xperia. Indeed, from 0 to 30 I have no volume on the Sabaj A30A, I think that a debug is necessary from the SABAJ developers to correct this problem via an additional Firmware update.
I have to confirm if I have this same problem via my other LGV30 streamer which also supports LDAC but which has a different BT chip. Besides, if someone else on this forum can confirm or deny this bug?

Apart from this point I must admit that Sabaj did a lot for the price .... I paid €350 for my Sabaj under warranty) With this type of amp, you no longer need DACs and in addition the SABAJ A30A s offers the luxury of being more powerful than the Topping LA90....
I think it is difficult to do better regarding the quality / price ratio of the Sabaj :)

Piopio

Using BT as source is a big mistake. Sabaj sounds much, much better with USB connection with USB galvanic isolation - Topping HS01. BT sounds flat and not engaging.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using BT as source is a big mistake. Sabaj sounds much, much better with USB connection with USB galvanic isolation - Topping HS01. BT sounds flat and not engaging.
I used Bluetooth with LDAC for a while, now I use Wiim Pro source with HD streaming (toslink). I also tested with flac files from my PC, the improvement is very noticeable compared to LDAC.

Yes I thought the same thing, a flat sound.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
really?
the only thing I noticed with BT on previous version (a20a 2022) is that the implementation is crappy, signal drops, stutters even with the straight line of sign. if it works, then both BT and USB should be digital and you should not be able to hear any difference ...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
really?
the only thing I noticed with BT on previous version (a20a 2022) is that the implementation is crappy, signal drops, stutters even with the straight line of sign. if it works, then both BT and USB should be digital and you should not be able to hear any difference ...
Bluetooth uses lossy codecs. Though I doubt many people will be able to hear the difference from lossless with LDAC.

Top Bottom