• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thinking of buying the Sabaj A30A to replace my Naim Nait 5si + SMSL SU-6 DAC combo, mainly to get some money back from selling the separates and getting some desk space back. I am using high efficiency DIY speakers without a sub so not very concerned about the potential sub volume issues but I am interested about the sound quality of the Sabaj, would you recommended the Sabaj for purely 2 channel listening or is there a better all-in-one amplifier in the same price range?
Please note that it is not a DAC and does not contain a DAC.
A PCM1804 ADC chip is included, which can convert an analog source into digital for the amplifier.
I personally can recommend the amplifier.

GiBo61

Thinking of buying the Sabaj A30A to replace my Naim Nait 5si + SMSL SU-6 DAC combo, mainly to get some money back from selling the separates and getting some desk space back. I am using high efficiency DIY speakers without a sub so not very concerned about the potential sub volume issues but I am interested about the sound quality of the Sabaj, would you recommended the Sabaj for purely 2 channel listening or is there a better all-in-one amplifier in the same price range?
Considering:
- the built quality
- the features included
- the user experience
- the subjective sound quality
- the Axign digital feedback technology
- the intrumental measurements (assuming they are comparable to those of the SMSL VMV A2)
- the power delivered at 4 and 8 Ohm

I guess it's a challenge to find a better all-in-one amplifier in the same price range (~$450 form hifi-express).

Since you have some high efficiency speakers you might also consider a Wiim Amp, it is less powerful than the Sabaj and the instrumental measurements are probably a little worse but I doubt when listening this would be particularly noticeable apart from the load dependency of the frequency response in the mid-high range (that can be mostly corrected with the included parametric equalizer).
However in my opinion a Wiim streamer + Sabaj A30a amp is the winner combination.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Considering:
- the built quality
- the features included
- the user experience
- the subjective sound quality
- the Axign digital feedback technology
- the intrumental measurements (assuming they are comparable to those of the SMSL VMV A2)
- the power delivered at 4 and 8 Ohm

I guess it's a challenge to find a better all-in-one amplifier in the same price range (~$450 form hifi-express).

Since you have some high efficiency speakers you might also consider a Wiim Amp, it is less powerful than the Sabaj and the instrumental measurements are probably a little worse but I doubt when listening this would be particularly noticeable apart from the load dependency of the frequency response in the mid-high range (that can be mostly corrected with the included parametric equalizer).
However in my opinion a Wiim streamer + Sabaj A30a amp is the winner combination.
One more small point:
- True digital amplifier that processes digital signals directly.

Thank you all for the replies, any thoughts on long-term reliability since I consider warranty to be non-existent when ordering from China, surely at this price point quality components would be used ( I have read about the Topping PA5 issues).

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thank you all for the replies, any thoughts on long-term reliability since I consider warranty to be non-existent when ordering from China, surely at this price point quality components would be used ( I have read about the Topping PA5 issues).
The components installed are consistently good, including the power supply.

The topping PA5 (II) is also made from good parts and is absolutely ok in quality.
The problem is Topping's absolutely stupid idea of hiding the circuit by filling the small signal modules with potting compound. In the long run, this leads to failure of many devices that use such modules.
The joke is that that's exactly why the circuit was published.

The components installed are consistently good, including the power supply.

The topping PA5 (II) is also made from good parts and is absolutely ok in quality.
The problem is Topping's absolutely stupid idea of hiding the circuit by filling the small signal modules with potting compound. In the long run, this leads to failure of many devices that use such modules.
The joke is that that's exactly why the circuit was published.
Thank you, I think I will bite the bullet and order the Sabaj, going to be interesting comparing the Sabaj to the old-school Naim amp.

Edit: Ordered for 445$ using code "DIEGO" for 5$ off, lets hope it comes without any taxes since I chose shipping from Germany warehouse.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had mine since fall 2022, and everything works well.

Roland68

Major Contributor
When a friend recently visited me with his new WiiM AMP and then compared it with the Sabaj A30a, it became clear to me that the difference between this amplifier and other concepts/devices is greater than you might think.

I may have expressed myself a little unclearly and revised the text.

A recent visit from a friend with his new WiiM AMP and subsequent comparison with the Sabaj A30a made us think about different amplifier technologies/concepts.

It became clear to me that the difference between the Sabaj A30a and other concepts/amplifiers is greater than you might think.
The fed-in digital signal is only processed digitally until it is converted via PWM. Any influences, especially on the analog side, such as common D/A conversion with DAC chips and OPAmps, preamplifier, small signal switching, small signal processing/amplification, power supply small signal processing, volume control (pots, ICs, resistors, etc.), several amplification stages in Amp, time shifts in the analog signal, etc. are not present on the A30a.
Apart from the analog input, there are only influences on the digital side before PWM processing.

This is actually a very minimalist and completely digital design (especially from an analog point of view), which only enters the analog world with the two STA516B.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The signal is only processed digitally until it is implemented via PWM. All influences such as common D/A conversion with DAC chips and OPAmps, preamplifier, small signal processing/amplification, power supply small signal processing, volume control (pots, ICs, resistors, etc.), several gain stages in the amp, time shifts in the analog signal, etc. are included not available in the A30a.
Any of that would be swamped by the load dependence of the WiiM amp. If you hear a difference, it is most likely due to this.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Any of that would be swamped by the load dependence of the WiiM amp. If you hear a difference, it is most likely due to this.
What does the WiiM AMP's load dependency have to do with what I wrote about the A30a?
Maybe you can elaborate a bit more?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the WiiM AMP's load dependency have to do with what I wrote about the A30a?
Maybe you can elaborate a bit more?
I thought you meant audibly. Now I see you probably mean conceptually. In that case, never mind :)

So, yes, it's conceptually quite different, but not exactly easier or less complex. A digital feedback loop is really hard to do, and harder to do it right. They just managed to cram all the complexity into a small chip.

GiBo61

When a friend recently visited me with his new WiiM AMP and then compared it with the Sabaj A30a, it became clear to me that the difference between this amplifier and other concepts/devices is greater than you might think.
The signal is only processed digitally until it is implemented via PWM. All influences such as common D/A conversion with DAC chips and OPAmps, preamplifier, small signal processing/amplification, power supply small signal processing, volume control (pots, ICs, resistors, etc.), several gain stages in the amp, time shifts in the analog signal, etc. are included not available in the A30a.
Apart from the analog input, there are only the usual influences on the digital side before PWM processing.
Hi Roland68, so you swapped the Sabaj A30a and the WiiM AMP in your setup and you had a more satisfying listening experience with Sabaj?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi Roland68, so you swapped the Sabaj A30a and the WiiM AMP in your setup and you had a more satisfying listening experience with Sabaj?
Please note that I have corrected my text above.

The friend came over because he was very impressed with the WiiM Amp. The whole thing ended with him swapping the WiiM AMP for the WiiM Pro and the Sabaj A30a.
The actual intention was to show me that you don't need anything other than the WiiM AMP...

GiBo61

Please note that I have corrected my text above.

The friend came over because he was very impressed with the WiiM Amp. The whole thing ended with him swapping the WiiM AMP for the WiiM Pro and the Sabaj A30a.
The actual intention was to show me that you don't need anything other than the WiiM AMP...
... and, besides all the technical considerations you made about the differences between the two devices, was he successful in convincing you that you do not need anything other than the Wiim AMP???

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
... and, besides all the technical considerations you made about the differences between the two devices, was he successful in convincing you that you do not need anything other than the Wiim AMP???
Absolutely, I have now ordered a second A30a ;o)

GiBo61

For some users here the sub volume is a problem while others (me included) find it behaves correctly in their setup. There are many variables involved, it's difficult to say who is right. Sabaj released a single firmware update in fall 2022, after that nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom