• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i believe the smsl vmv a2 does this as well

there is no dac...

the s/pdif gets converted to pwm so pcm is 'bypassed'

as people have said, this can lead to higher quality simply because an unnecessary step is eliminated

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i believe the smsl vmv a2 does this as well

there is no dac...

the s/pdif gets converted to pwm so pcm is 'bypassed'

as people have said, this can lead to higher quality simply because an unnecessary step is eliminated

Toku in the first page of the thread explains this.

I was surprised that the A30 was suddenly released.
From the contents of the product, it is the Sabaj version of SMSL A2. I don't think the chip configuration has changed either.
PCM1804 (ADC) + XU208 (USB) + AXIGN AX5689 + STA516 * 2
Composition. Looking at the photo, the layout of the board around the amplifier is the same.

Today I plugged in and tested a 3rd OS for the Raspberry PI 4 with Volumio 2022, and still no problem with the Xmos.

snake69fast

Toku in the first page of the thread explains this.

Today I plugged in and tested a 3rd OS for the Raspberry PI 4 with Volumio 2022, and still no problem with the Xmos.
Only Pi Zero 2W has this problem. I think it is something related with the microUSB of the Pi Zero 2W. I used later the same microSD (picoreplayer) card in a Pi 4 with no problems. I will check again with a powered USB hub for the Pi Zero 2W and come back here with the result.

ModDIY

Regarding the menu that is activated on the A30a (not the remote control), I had written that you had to use a button on the remote to return to the main display, I found by chance (not in the manual , it's time to start providing real manuals) if you press the amp button for 2 seconds, the menu closes...so the long press allows you to leave a submenu and the main display, to close the amp.

gmetro

@peterwen

is there anyway we can get the company to fix the firmware on the sub output? like others 70hz is way too high for me. my bookshelf speakers are flat to 50hz. so even though this is much nicer generally than my smsl sa300 its a big downgrade as it guts the low end response on the speakers.

simply having an option to run the sub out full range and use the sub crossover would fix the issue.

since this is all software, there’s no reason it shouldn’t have a fully variable crossover with variable slope (and powerful geq) but I would be happy with just being able to run it down to say 40 Hz or just turned the crossover off entirely and let everything run full range

Last edited:

Kyivan Rus

I apologize, I’m new and a complete novice…. What is the point of this amp with a THD of 10% at rated power output, as per its manufacturer mentioned on page 1 of this thread? What am I missing? Thanks.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yes this is a point of contention here and with just about every chinese manufacturer

if this thing does 100w at 8 ohm at 10% we might assume it does anywhere from 70-80w at realistic thd, say 0.01%?

is that a fair assumption? if that is acceptable for you at the price then you know where to go

i get it though.... one of the amps i own is by a Harman company... the only figure it gives is 65w at 6 ohm at 1% so its not like the chinese have a monopoly on goofy figures... they're just egregrious at it...

Jungstar

I apologize, I’m new and a complete novice…. What is the point of this amp with a THD of 10% at rated power output,

Welcome, the short answer is that the industry will often specify watt at 1% or 10% typically at 4 ohm. It can be plotted on a graph like below link. Obviously we are more interested in the good performance of an amp. Usually there is a sweet spot.

Also, remember that the effect you get from an amp highly depends on the impedance profile (another graph) of your speaker and the sensitivity of your speakers.

Kyivan Rus

Welcome, the short answer is that the industry will often specify watt at 1% or 10% typically at 4 ohm. It can be plotted on a graph like below link. Obviously we are more interested in the good performance of an amp. Usually there is a sweet spot.

Also, remember that the effect you get from an amp highly depends on the impedance profile (another graph) of your speaker and the sensitivity of your speakers.

Thank you!! Will read up!

gmetro

9E557BD7-2D73-4EB1-AEF2-53EF52D0B72F.jpeg

Important amp upgrade complete. :)

GiBo61

After about a month and a half of playing with the Sabaj A30a I can say that it is one of those things in my life with which I have a positive feeling. It's solid, discreet, does what it's supposed to do without too many frills, it's a real pleasure to use it every day.

LennyTheLion

@peterwen
As a recent owner of this neat little amp, there are a couple of items that I'd like to suggest for consideration in a future firmware update:
1) Speaker left / right balance adjustment
2) Addional subwoofer LFE Cross over frequency selections (e.g 50 & 60Hz). The current 70Hz minimum selection is a little high.

I,m currently enjoying re discovering my music collection through this amp :)

gmetro

@peterwen
As a recent owner of this neat little amp, there are a couple of items that I'd like to suggest for consideration in a future firmware update:
1) Speaker left / right balance adjustment
2) Addional subwoofer LFE Cross over frequency selections (e.g 50 & 60Hz). The current 70Hz minimum selection is a little high.

I,m currently enjoying re discovering my music collection through this amp :)
It's weird this day and age that any amplike this doesn't have an independent crossover with fully variable slope for each channel and 5-10 peq bands - I mean, car audio stuff had that in their cheap head units 20 years ago.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's weird this day and age that any amplike this doesn't have an independent crossover with fully variable slope for each channel and 5-10 peq bands - I mean, car audio stuff had that in their cheap head units 20 years ago.
Car audio is ahead of home audio in some ways. Class D, active EQ, 2 Ohms drive etc.

Leva

From Amazon it's the "mxuteuk" knob comes in a few colors. Since it has a set screw it fits a little nicer than stock and imo makes the flashy gold plate less out of place

Now if only we could swap that logo with a vu meter...
Hi. Is this knob metal or coated plastic? Thanks

ModDIY

Is it possible to drive a passive Subwoofer with the sabaj a30a? Amp -> Passive SW -> Speakers ? Thanks

No.

It absolutely takes an amplifier at the sub output of the A30a. You can add an amp to the sub output to the passive speaker.

An example of an amplifier you can use. The a10a can be bridged for doubled mono output and to connect at the passive SW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom