• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was looking to this amp too,

But have less connections, but in terms of power will be better . But for MA is too much maybe...
Indeed the 250NC is a very good Hypex amp, but in my opinion your MA bookshelf will not benefit from this excess power. Moreover, as you mention, the FDA is more practical (less connection) and ESPECIALLY it is a full digital amplifier, so the digital signal goes from the dac through the Axign to the output mosfets directly. In a device that contains an Xmos DAC, Bluetooth LDAC, preamp, ULTRA performance controller the famous Asign (which JBL has chosen to put in a series of bookshelf active studio monitors) which perfectly controls the MOSFETS, and by a very thorough feedback , greatly reduces distortion. Make your choice, one or the other will work well, then you have to look at the advantages in terms of price of 3 devices and ease of use.

GiBo61

I was looking to this amp too,

But have less connections, but in terms of power will be better . But for MA is too much maybe...
I was also considering an amplifier based on the Hypex Ncore NC252MP module. Here is Amir's review of the IOM NCore Pro (based on Hypex NC252MP): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/
The SMSL VMV A2 (which should provide similar measurements to the Sabaj A30) has about 15% less power than the NC252MP (206 vs 236 watts) but with a better SINAD (particularly at 8 Ohm). It should be noted that the SMSL VMV A2 achieves these results using the optical input while the analogue one shows high noise below 50 Hz (maybe this problem has been solved for the Sabaj).
Probably if you have a high quality DAC that you can use as preamplifier a NC252MP final amplifier could be a wise choice. In addition, the Hypex Ncore modules have already proven their reliability over time, which still needs to be demonstrated for systems based on Axign technology. I must say that I finally decided to order the Sabaj A30a because I was fascinated by the idea of a fully digital amplifier and the difference in power is not significant and more than enough for most applications. Moreover it is more stragthforward to connect an active subwoofer exploiting the low pass and high pass filters of the Sabaj.

Slide1.jpeg

ModDIY

I was also considering an amplifier based on the Hypex Ncore NC252MP module. Here is Amir's review of the IOM NCore Pro (based on Hypex NC252MP): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/
The SMSL VMV A2 (which should provide similar measurements to the Sabaj A30) has about 15% less power than the NC252MP (206 vs 236 watts) but with a better SINAD (particularly at 8 Ohm). It should be noted that the SMSL VMV A2 achieves these results using the optical input while the analogue one shows high noise below 50 Hz (maybe this problem has been solved for the Sabaj).
Probably if you have a high quality DAC that you can use as preamplifier a NC252MP final amplifier could be a wise choice. In addition, the Hypex Ncore modules have already proven their reliability over time, which still needs to be demonstrated for systems based on Axign technology. I must say that I finally decided to order the Sabaj A30a because I was fascinated by the idea of a fully digital amplifier and the difference in power is not significant and more than enough for most applications. Moreover it is more stragthforward to connect an active subwoofer exploiting the low pass and high pass filters of the Sabaj.

View attachment 242423
You are right all along. I also have an excellent DAC with XLR outputs, and I also know that the RCA input of the A30a is inferior. The Asign does not have to prove reliability over time because it is simply a controller chip, not a power amplifier. At the output, the digital Mosfets are STA516BEs which have PROVEN their reliability over time. I can't remember the date, but around 2014 I had an amplifier with these STA516BE MOSFETS and already at that time I was bowled over by the quality of the soundstage, the softness and punch, in short it was already superior to my others class D amp...and it was nothing compared to the implementation of the A30a, because the controller was an old Tripath of early 2000 design...while the Assign compared to the Tripath is a beast of a race that allows a STA516BE (PBTL mode) to perform substantially and enter the big leagues.

CyBorek

Excellent choice.

I had 2 choices of speakers, precisely from the Monitor Audio Silver series, same series, but 2.5-way model and lower impedance at 4 ohms.

I finally chose the Focal Chora 826 because there was a discount.

The A30a will be happy with your Silver bookshelf, the speakers have good efficiency, can take power and the A30a will not lack power.

I love the Silver series, one of the best quality/performance/price ratios.
I will be ordering my MA Silver 500s 7g next week. Sabaj has won vs Arcam SA30. Amazing piece of tech it is. It is more natural sounding than other class D amps, love it.

Hope I will love combo of A30a and 500s

GiBo61

you think this will be a good match with the audiolab 6000a as a pre amp?
Being the Sabaj A30a a full digital amplifier, the best results are obtained by directly connecting sources with digital output (USB, optical or coaxial) such as personal computers, CD players, streamers, etc. However, if the quality of the analog input of the Sabaj is more similar to that of the SMSL SA400 than to that of the SMSL VMV A2 you should have no particular problems connecting it to a good preamp (or to the preamp section of an integrated amplifier). In this regard, can anyone with the Sabaj A30a updated to the latest firmware comment on the subjective sound quality when connected to an analog source? Any audible low frequency hum or noise?

GiBo61

Being the Sabaj A30a a full digital amplifier, the best results are obtained by directly connecting sources with digital output (USB, optical or coaxial) such as personal computers, CD players, streamers, etc. However, if the quality of the analog input of the Sabaj is more similar to that of the SMSL SA400 than to that of the SMSL VMV A2 you should have no particular problems connecting it to a good preamp (or to the preamp section of an integrated amplifier). In this regard, can anyone with the Sabaj A30a updated to the latest firmware comment on the subjective sound quality when connected to an analog source? Any audible low frequency hum or noise?
I just discovered that if you still like vinyl records there are phono preamps with a digital output. A decent - and cheap - one seems the Pro-Ject Optical Box E Phono https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072C2DSTY

Toku

Major Contributor
The internal structure of the Sabaj A30a is the same as the SMSL VMV A2 and is completely different from the SMSL SA400.
The SA400 doesn't use any of the digital inputs of the AXIGN AX5689, just like the feedback loop, it's an analog input only amplifier that uses the 8ch ADC built into the chip.
I don't feel any hum or other noise on the analog inputs of the A30a. However, the sound quality is slightly less transparent than USB/COAX/OPT.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Hi @Toku
Have you experienced any difference in terms of subjective sound quality when using USB/Optical/Coax? I assume they shall be the same, right?
I am using my A30A via USB at the moment but I am contemplating about a different setup that would look like this:
Source is still my PC --> RME Digiface USB via USB --> two Sabaj A30A via optical - this way I would have a multichannel (quadraphonic) system
Hence I am asking about your experience with the other digital inputs
Many thanks in advance

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi @Toku
Have you experienced any difference in terms of subjective sound quality when using USB/Optical/Coax? I assume they shall be the same, right?
I am using my A30A via USB at the moment but I am contemplating about a different setup that would look like this:
Source is still my PC --> RME Digiface USB via USB --> two Sabaj A30A via optical - this way I would have a multichannel (quadraphonic) system
Many thanks in advance
I can't feel any difference in sound quality between USB/COAX/OPT on the Sabaj A30a. I would say they are the same.
My A30a uses two USB ports on my PC, one is connected to the SMSL PO100's DDC and its OPT/COAX output is connected to the A30a, the other is directly connected to the A30a's USB input.
I switch this and compare the sound quality, but I do not feel the difference.

SlamTaz

Hi @Toku

My current desktop set-up is as follows elac dbr62 (speakers)/sennheiser hd560S (hp) => loxjie a30 => wiim (off work listening) / pc (wfh listening).

thanks to your contribution, im seriously looking at the sabaj a30a for an upgrade. is there going to be a huge improvement in the perceived/subjective sound signature? currently listening at an average of maybe 80db and while i really like what i hear, i feel that the low-end can be boosted with more amp power, because when i increase it to about 90db, the low-end livens up and gets close to matching the high/mid levels (i.e. not really sure if im conveying my thoughts correctly as im not really technically articulate in audio terms).

i got the loxjie @ around $160 and the sabaj a30a is about 3x more in terms of cost. while im not expecting 3x improvement, filling up the low-end (i.e. without adding a sub) to balance low/mid/highs from the elac's will be good enough for me. also, i don't mind losing the hp output at the moment, as this is something i can buy separately and looking at the smsl c200 but that maybe after a while as i mostly listen to my bookshelf speakers and also, since you mentioned that the sabaj a30a is good enough even without a dac.

what are your thoughts on this?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GiBo61

Hi @Toku

My current desktop set-up is as follows elac dbr62 (speakers)/sennheiser hd560S (hp) => loxjie a30 => wiim (off work listening) / pc (wfh listening).

thanks to your contribution, im seriously looking at the sabaj a30a for an upgrade. is there going to be a huge improvement in the perceived/subjective sound signature? currently listening at an average of maybe 80db and while i really like what i hear, i feel that the low-end can be boosted with more amp power, because when i increase it to about 90db, the low-end livens up and gets close to matching the high/mid levels (i.e. not really sure if im conveying my thoughts correctly as im not really technically articulate in audio terms).

i got the loxjie @ around $160 and the sabaj a30a is about 3x more in terms of cost. while im not expecting 3x improvement, filling up the low-end (i.e. without adding a sub) to balance low/mid/highs from the elac's will be good enough for me. also, i don't mind losing the hp output at the moment, as this is something i can buy separately and looking at the smsl c200 but that maybe after a while as i mostly listen to my bookshelf speakers and also, since you mentioned that the sabaj a30a is good enough even without a dac.

what are your thoughts on this?

thanks in advance.
I ordered about 10 days ago the Sabaj A30a and I'm also wondering what I will get out of it. I currently have mostly vintage gears: a 1991 Sony receiver (STR AV 920,100+100 RMS Watts), a 1983 Marantz PM 550 DC (65+65 RMS Watts), a 2005 Rotel RSX-1067 (a 25 kg beast of AV receiver with 120+120 Watts when using 2 out of the 7 channels) and a more recent (2020) Denon DRA 800H (145+145 Watts on 4 Ohms). Not to mention a glorious 1978 Nad 3030 that is still in my basement... Although they are connected to different speakers (the excellent Elac Vela BS 403, the reliable Dali Zensor 3 and the surprising Boston Acoustics A25) it is not a surprise that the ones that subjectively sound better are the Rotel RSX-1067 and the Denon DRA 800H. That said, I really believe that the sound quality and signature comes mostly form the speakers you have and their interaction with the room. I also believe that at low volume most amplifiers (at least the decent ones) perform more or less the same. When you rise the volume then you can probably discriminate the very good ones from the others. All this to say that the Sabaj A30a will be undoubtedly the best measuring amplifier in the lot but I foresee it probably won't revolutionize the final quality of my listening.

Last edited:

CyBorek

I ordered about 10 days ago the Sabaj A30a and I'm also wondering what I will get out of it. I currently have mostly vintage gears: a 1991 Sony receiver (STR AV 920,100+100 RMS Watts), a 1983 Marantz PM 550 DC (65+65 RMS Watts), a 2005 Rotel RSX-1067 (a 25 kg beast of AV receiver with 120+120 Watts when using 2 out of the 7 channels) and a more recent (2020) Denon DRA 800H (145+145 Watts on 4 Ohms). Not to mention a glorious 1978 Nad 3030 that is still in my basement... Although they are connected to different speakers (the excellent Elac Vela BS 403, the reliable Dali Zensor 3 and the surprising Boston Acoustics A25) it is not a surprise that the ones that subjectively sound better are the Rotel RSX-1067 and the Denon DRA 800H. That said, I really believe that the sound quality and signature comes mostly form the speakers you have and their interaction with the room. I also believe that at low volume most amplifiers (at least the decent ones) perform more or less the same. When you rise the volume then you can probably discriminate the very good ones from the others. All this to say that the Sabaj A30a will be undoubtedly the best measuring amplifier in the lot but I foresee it probably won't revolutionize the final quality of my listening.
On Polish forum someone compared to DRA 800H and Sabaj was sounding better with digital source. Probably won't be with analog input.

GiBo61

On Polish forum someone compared to DRA 800H and Sabaj was sounding better with digital source. Probably won't be with analog input.
Could you please point me the address of the polish forum you were mentioning?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi @Toku
Many thanks in advance
What I can advise you to do is that the sound quality of the A30a is unlike any class D amp you've heard so far.
It's a different type of sound quality than the C200 and LOXJIE you mentioned.

To your question, "Is there a significant improvement in perceptual/subjective sound characteristics?", my subjective opinion is yes.
However, unlike technical matters, sound preferences differ from person to person. I can't say for certain that the sound quality will improve.
If the cost of the A30a is fine with you, I suggest giving it a try. I hope you can understand what I mean.
However, it is not recommended for those who prefer conventional analog amplifiers or vacuum tube amplifiers.

Last edited:

ModDIY

It's been almost two weeks since I ordered the A30a amplifier from Hifi-Express, and since then no shipping date or tracking number.

I'm thinking of possibly requesting a refund or contacting my credit card.

ppataki

Major Contributor
It's been almost two weeks since I ordered the A30a amplifier from Hifi-Express, and since then no shipping date or tracking number.

If you login to hifiexpress, can't you see the tracking number there? (if you go to your order history)
Mine was there and I used 17track.net to track it and it worked fine
For me shipping took 3 weeks (I am in the EU)

Toku

Major Contributor

I also purchased from HiFi EXPRESS, but I was in the same situation as you. The package was suddenly delivered just before the limit of patience.
So please wait a little longer.

Top Bottom