• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

s/pdif input for dolby digital?

SDC

My audio interface has optical spdif in without dolby decoder, and window sees it as 2ch audio.

The question is, is it possible to input DD optical through this 2ch input and decode using PC?

So it goes like this

TV(5.1 dolby)-audio interface(optical)-PC-audio interface(analog)-Multichannel audio

Window supports DD+, I'm curious if it is possible to use as DSP for smart TVs.

DonDish

This sounds like problem to me. I know some interfaces can make a passthrough the other way. There could also be latency problem. My advice if you want surround, get a reciever.

DonDish

Thats a good question. I think streaming services do. Netflix at least. Would be easy to check

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats a good question. I think streaming services do. Netflix at least. Would be easy to check
Depends on the particular tv and the particular apps installed. My tvs only pass out 2ch except for OTA (over the air) content which can be 5.1, but they're older sets too, less likely an issue with newer ones. If the audio interface is passing the tv's signal thru to the tv without changing it, it should reflect the multich content if it's there.

Best if OP posts up specific gear involved.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, some streaming from TV's, satellite boxes, cable TV boxes do pass out DD over optical. I don't think they do DD+. You can get some devices to work with that, but not to my knowledge an audio interface even if it has enough channels. If you feed it to an AVR or pre/pro it would work.

DonDish

Nevertheless! I did a setup with VLC and UCXII and I got the 7.1 output, routed out through UCXII to a multichannel amp. A cool experiment, but in no way worth the hassle. I could set levels and eq via interface, delays where worse. To make this work the other way I wouldnt know. Like I said. If you want surround just slush out for a standard shop solution. Spare yourself and find another project :D Trust me on this, or dont if you are in masochist mode or just hellbent on making this work.

Clarification: Atmos signal was split in VLC to show up in RME mixer TMfx as separate channels. These where routed to analog outs to feed a multichannel amp. A SONY surround reciever with analog inputs. Unfortunately the analog inputs where void of the nessecary processing to make it work properly ie delay function.

I dont know if this gives any meaning to topic starter or if he is even still alive. Surround sound is a mess if u choose to go outside the standard route.

Last edited:

DonDish

Well still alive. I tried but found the other way around won't be possible at least without programming and just gave up...
Happy to hear that you are in health and alive and kickin! :D There are just other things to pursue in life :)

Top Bottom