• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rpi4b vs Primare NP5 mk2 question

edwardgrey

I’m currently using my Rpi 4b with Ropieee XL to stream to my Topping D90SE
Ext HD > : USB : > PC > : Ethernet : > Rpi 4b > : USB : > Topping D90SE

I also have a more expensive streamer, the Primare NP5 mk2; unfotunately no USB out, so it would be limited to Coax or Toslink output, 192kHz 24bit.

Any potential advantages in using the Primare instead? or any other expensive streamers for that matter.

Thanks!

Tangband

Major Contributor
I’m currently using my Rpi 4b with Ropieee XL to stream to my Topping D90SE
Ext HD > : USB : > PC > : Ethernet : > Rpi 4b > : USB : > Topping D90SE

I also have a more expensive streamer, the Primare NP5 mk2; unfotunately no USB out, so it would be limited to Coax or Toslink output, 192kHz 24bit.

Any potential advantages in using the Primare instead? or any other expensive streamers for that matter.

Thanks!
You probably need to try both side by side.
Can you hear any differences ? Spdif is sometimes sensitive to jitter , but there are cases where good clocking from spdif outputs can give slightly better sonic results than some USB connections. This is my experience.

Katji

Major Contributor
The "expensive" is not from superior technology, it is from producing and marketing a "black box" consumer product, with a more expensive housing [that looks like a traditional hi-fi component,] probably with integrated hidden power supply, maybe with a suitable cooling/heat management system.
The advantage of the RPi + Ropiee system for me is that I can substitute other software when/if I want, I can substitute different RPi housings and so on.

OP
edwardgrey

edwardgrey

The "expensive" is not from superior technology, it is from producing and marketing a "black box" consumer product, with a more expensive housing [that looks like a traditional hi-fi component,] probably with integrated hidden power supply, maybe with a suitable cooling/heat management system.
The advantage of the RPi + Ropiee system for me is that I can substitute other software when/if I want, I can substitute different RPi housings and so on.
Thanks, the Primare has an app for iOS/Android, but I'm very comfortable using the Ropieee web interface.

Bit of a shame for there not to be a clear measurable advantage, but good news for people willing to do a bit of setup.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Depends how you listen to music.

The Primare supports Chromecast whereas RPi4 does not...

Depending on use, could be a big advantage (or none)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thanks, the Primare has an app for iOS/Android, but I'm very comfortable using the Ropieee web interface.

Bit of a shame for there not to be a clear measurable advantage, but good news for people willing to do a bit of setup.
It might be measurable differences between digital units, as Amirms reviews has shown . Less good SRC, bit truncation, USB package noice ( 8 KHz ) , jitter , power supply noise , etc … or there are no real differences.
Can you hear any difference between them ? It might or it might not be .

Read more here :

This is an example of a bad digital transport/streamer . This is audible.

A52236DE-C5E7-41A8-94F4-F11F31A6B6DE.png

Last edited:
OP
edwardgrey

edwardgrey

Depends how you listen to music.

The Primare supports Chromecast whereas RPi4 does not...

Depending on use, could be a big advantage (or none)
Great point, mostly using Roon for active listening, otherwise Spotify Connect or Airplay for casual.

It might be measurable differences between digital units, as Amirms reviews has shown . Less good SRC, bit truncation, USB package noice ( 8 KHz ) , jitter , power supply noise , etc … or there are no real differences.
Can you hear any difference between them ? It might or it might not be .

Read more here :

This is an example of a bad digital transport/streamer . This is audible.

View attachment 221307

For streamers, I'm not convinced I could hear a difference. I should send in the Primare for measuring!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Great point, mostly using Roon for active listening, otherwise Spotify Connect or Airplay for casual.
An RPi4 can deliver bit perfect audio data using Roon, Spotify Connect and Airplay.

So for just those uses, Primare has no advantage unless you need official Airplay2 (for multiroom)

Tangband

Major Contributor

For streamers, I'm not convinced I could hear a difference. I should send in the Primare for measuring!
Do that :)

Top Bottom