• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mercury V2 Streamer

MarnixM

Mercury V2.jpg

The Mercury V2 Streamer is a "bare" streamer without DAC, but with fantastic connectivity. I connected it to a Topping D90SE DAC. It is a complete housing of Mercury's famous PI2AES "head" for a Raspberry Pi. The streamer has an Ethernet input and almost all known digital outputs (2 x USB, AES (Balanced and COAX), Toslink and I2S (over HDMI and over RJ45). In addition, there are two HDMI video outputs). An SD card slot is present and provides the streamer with its firmware; there are three possibilities: Volumio (standard) or Ropieee or Moode.

I bought it because of the I2S digital output. Read a lot about this that due to the lack of all kinds of drivers such as with USB, a "cleaner" audio signal is offered. According to insiders, this should be audible. A YOU TUBE video (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5GRaj5OS6k ) was impressive, but not reliable in nature.

Took at own risk "The proof of the pudding" and ordered a V2. My DAC has an I2S HDMI input. It is important to note that an I2S protocol over HDMI is not standardized. That is why the V2 has four dip switches with which various HDMI settings can be played. According to Michael Kelly, developer, this guarantees compatibility with almost all DACs. Michael himself used the Topping DX7 Pro DAC with on paper the same HDMI pin layout. You get the idea; just let my D90SE deviate (according to Michael the only model so far known to him; I have no doubt not to believe him). A free (except transport costs) and fast return and adjustment quickly solved the problem.

And now the most important thing; how does it sound about I2S? Well stunningly clear and transparent compared to my USB output of the Primo, especially audible by me in transparent high (cymbals) and ultra tight bass. Although I'm not into the superlatives at all, sounds as if a curtain is pulled away from the sound. And even for my wife who always says "she doesn't hear the difference anyway" the difference with the Primo (of which I already only used the streamer part) was now audible.

Summarized; a really good upgrade (and fairly affordable); you must have heard it yourself (The YOU TUBE video is correct!).

Top Bottom