• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2017 Day 1

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Next up was headphones from German company SPL. Boy did these things look nice and sounded really good with Focal headphones:

6T5A2052.jpg
6T5A2051.jpg

Smaller one (not shown) with DAC was about $1,700. Larger one above I think was $2,500. I asked one to review. Not sure they will follow up but would love to have one of these on my desk just to look at it. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I knew of ModWrite as the guy who modified Oppo players. Seems like now he has branched out to making his own stand-alone equipment like these tube pre-amps:

6T5A2053.jpg
6T5A2054.jpg

Sad to say in the bit of time I had with their library of music, I did not find the fidelity to my liking. Very warm and friendly reception though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Martin Logan ESL 15A speakers and D'Agostino amplifiers.

They had powered their large amplifier with the Stromtank battery source. Despite its massive size, the output rating is roughly half of what you can get out of an outlet. I am not 100% sure but on peaks the sound would get uncharacteristically distorted. This was by far the worst sound I have heard of Martin Logan at shows. I was at another suite that had Martin Logans where it sounded nice. When I told them my experience of hearing distortion, the person said some else complained about the same thing. Who knows what really went on but they failed to impress me!!! :D
6T5A2061.jpg
6T5A2062.jpg
6T5A2063.jpg
6T5A2064.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Benchmark Media:
Mozart: D Major (Kv 218) Allegro by Marianne Thorsen / Trondheimsolistene. https://shz.am/t56158130

As always classical music look ups may not be accurate:

Nice and dynamic.

Top Bottom