• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME announces app control for RME Adi-2 series

Antagron

Thank you for your reply!

What I understood from your earlier message and what I read elsewhere was that:
  1. The ADI-2 DAC FS is Class Compliant and as such, requires no specialized driver for operation in Windows
  2. Running with native Windows driver allows the DAC to pick up the sample rate of the playing file dynamically over USB.
  3. Running with the RME Madiface driver forces a single, selectable sample rate to be used regardless of the file being played over USB.
  4. Prior to this firmware update, the RME Madiface driver was required in order to use the new ADI-2 Remote software
  5. After the update, ADI-2 Remote can be used with the native Windows driver due to fixed bug in MIDI interface. This definitely seems to be true! But it's still locked at INT 96kHz, I just no have no way to change it.
To answer your questions:
  1. When I go to Device Manager, I see RME ADI-2 DAC listed. It says Driver Provider = Microsoft, 6 May 2022, version 10.0.22621.1
  2. I no longer have the Madiface icon in my system tray or in my start menu
  3. Under Output>Format, Windows Sound settings offers me:
    1. 1 Channel 16/96
    2. 1 Channel 24/96
    3. 2 Channel 16/96
    4. 2 Channel 24/96
I'm trying to be thorough here, hopefully that gives you some more information. I do not know how to run ASIO (I thought that was basically replaced by WASAPI?)

Chazz6

Can you tell me how to do this, exactly?
From the RME ADI FS-2 user manual:
Start the ASIO software and select ASIO MADIface USB as the audio I/O device or the audio driver.
The sample rate is set by the ASIO application. The buffer size (latency) is set in the RME Settings dialog.
The ASIO 2.2 driver supports sample rates up to 768 kHz in PCM format. DSD record/playback is supported as DoP within ASIO as well as via ASIO native. ASIO Direct Monitoring (ADM) is not supported.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you for your reply!

What I understood from your earlier message and what I read elsewhere was that:
  1. The ADI-2 DAC FS is Class Compliant and as such, requires no specialized driver for operation in Windows
  2. Running with native Windows driver allows the DAC to pick up the sample rate of the playing file dynamically over USB.
  3. Running with the RME Madiface driver forces a single, selectable sample rate to be used regardless of the file being played over USB.
  4. Prior to this firmware update, the RME Madiface driver was required in order to use the new ADI-2 Remote software
  5. After the update, ADI-2 Remote can be used with the native Windows driver due to fixed bug in MIDI interface. This definitely seems to be true! But it's still locked at INT 96kHz, I just no have no way to change it.
To answer your questions:
  1. When I go to Device Manager, I see RME ADI-2 DAC listed. It says Driver Provider = Microsoft, 6 May 2022, version 10.0.22621.1
  2. I no longer have the Madiface icon in my system tray or in my start menu
  3. Under Output>Format, Windows Sound settings offers me:
    1. 1 Channel 16/96
    2. 1 Channel 24/96
    3. 2 Channel 16/96
    4. 2 Channel 24/96
I'm trying to be thorough here, hopefully that gives you some more information. I do not know how to run ASIO (I thought that was basically replaced by WASAPI?)
That means the driver is still active. The list should include all sample rates, not just one. Also the entry in Device Manager must have a serial number in its name (ADI-2 DAC (xxxxx)), if not then again driver still active.

The manual explains how to uninstall correctly on page 42, chapter 20, Driver Installation Windows: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Antagron

Thank you! That did it. Now everything seems to work on Exclusive mode as expected, including the Remote (wonderful software!) Is it not possible that uninstalling the Madiface using the RME uninstaller can't remove the driver and that step must be completed separately?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Most probably you had updated the driver at some point so after removing it the former version gets loaded from the OS (Plug&Play). Then the whole process (incuding the important checkbox to delete the software) has to be done several times.

Blamb512

Just to check my understanding, if I'm using the Ipad app, I have to connect it with a USBC to USB B adapter to use the remote features?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
On an iPad Pro - yes. Otherwise you need the special adapter from Apple as well.

Aerith Gainsborough

Can you tell me how to do this, exactly?
Depends on your media player.
E.g.: Foobar needs an ASIO plugin for it to show up in the device selection.

Install Madiface driver
Install Foobar ASIO plugin (or plugin for your media player of choice unless it can handle ASIO natively)
Select ASIO-Madiface as output device in your media player.

No need for exclusive nonsense etc.
If Foobar is the only stream playing you automatically get bit perfect playback (verifiable via RME test files).
The moment you do something else, the streams get mixed no need to manually switch off of "exclusive mode".
Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

There is only one downside: if 2 programs want to access the RME via ASIO, you have to make sure they are both configured to the same sample rate.
This can lead to conflicts when you e.g.: currently play a song at 44.1 and start a program that wants 48. I have that happen when I start Pianoteq.
Though this isn't very relevant to most consumers.

Antagron

Depends on your media player.
E.g.: Foobar needs an ASIO plugin for it to show up in the device selection.

Install Madiface driver
Install Foobar ASIO plugin (or plugin for your media player of choice unless it can handle ASIO natively)
Select ASIO-Madiface as output device in your media player.

No need for exclusive nonsense etc.
If Foobar is the only stream playing you automatically get bit perfect playback (verifiable via RME test files).
The moment you do something else, the streams get mixed no need to manually switch off of "exclusive mode".
Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

There is only one downside: if 2 programs want to access the RME via ASIO, you have to make sure they are both configured to the same sample rate.
This can lead to conflicts when you e.g.: currently play a song at 44.1 and start a program that wants 48. I have that happen when I start Pianoteq.
Though this isn't very relevant to most consumers.
I’m not sure what happened but exclusive mode was no longer working after I shuffled some usb ports (played fine in Foobar but nothing made it to the RME: windows shared mode played on RME fine. No clue). So I decided to give your method a go! You explained it well and the ASIO component finally works on 64 bit. Everything worked as advertised. Thanks for taking the time to explain it!

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
As I did not see any mention here: we released version 2.0 of our ADI-2 Remote app in our forum. Final release should be there end of this week. Have a look!

Thanks - just got the email notification. Looks like a big improvement on an already excellent tool.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated and running here. Not that I use it much but still feels like a small victory lol. :D

Guy Fawkes

Can someone kindly provide version 1.3 of ADI2Remote for Windows? RME has produced the new release 2.1, I downloaded and installed it, overwriting the previous release but I would like to go back to version 1.3 of 09/25/2023.

Unfortunately there is no way to download it anywhere as it has been replaced with the new one from the RME website

Thank you

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
You *might* still have it in your Downloads folder?

danadam

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can someone kindly provide version 1.3 of ADI2Remote for Windows? RME has produced the new release 2.1, I downloaded and installed it, overwriting the previous release but I would like to go back to version 1.3 of 09/25/2023.

Unfortunately there is no way to download it anywhere as it has been replaced with the new one from the RME website

Thank you
Begs the question - what is wrong with 2.1?

Top Bottom