• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Can the new SMPS be retrofitted on the other ADI-2’s? One less grounding issue is always welcome.

FINFET

Forum Donor
The improved features are great but seems not for me tbh. I might be too greedy to wish If there's a way to import PEQ configure files through USB in the driver or added TotalMix support with 5 bands EQ that can be directly controled in the UI. It'll be such a killer even for a whopping 2500€.

I feel that the reason for me to buy a new RME product nowadays is because I'm worried that my old one will not last for long due to capacitor aging or something, not because of the new functions or specs. This could be a problem for the manufacturers as the old devices work so well that they even become competitors to new ones from the same company. My FF800 still working flawlessly with firewire adapters and I could not even persuade myself to buy a UFX II and the only excuse for such a purchase is it may save me from the sudden death of the FF800 during recording or afraid others laugh at me for using a grandpa device. It's similar for the motivation to upgrade to ADI-2/4 that I paid around 1100€ for a used ADI-2 Pro before which is still great for all my use cases so I may just keep using it until killer features release or until it really dies.

Anyway just some rambling from a greedy user voraciously wanting more motivations to upgrade. Congrats to RME on finishing another great product and hope everything in the manufacturing process goes well.

DonDish

As an owner of an ADI-2 Pro FSR BE it‘s hard for me to consider an upgrade and justify 2500€ for this limited set of additional features.
BTW: Come on guys, for 1k I‘m sure you can get e. g. a separate Phono Pre that also supports MC cartridges and other useful HiFi gear!
I think the upgrade to the autoreflevel, balanced and dual phones mode and inclusion of +1 IEM output could very well justify it. MM input is a cool feature all in digital, but an easy fix anyway as you say. I bought PRO fs r be as an upgrade to DAC some months ago and im happy with that. Feel that itch though. Gonna stay on the fence for a while, blew alot of cash on soldering and woodworking gear, gonna dive into that for now. The 2/4 will probably sell out whitout my help. Atleast I will get the manual, and dig into what 2/4 is about, see what others think and so on. ADI-2 PRO is still a beast of a converter++ no worries about that.

Trell

Major Contributor
The fact that for such small improvements, the price was raised too much for a regular dac.. 2500€.

If you compare this device to the ADI-2 DAC then obviously the device is not for you, nor the regular PRO model either for that matter. If you want to compare price and feature set you should compare it to the regular PRO model, not the DAC.

I own the ADI-2 DAC and the regular PRO model is not for me as I won't use the extra features like the ADC. The same goes for the new ADI-2/4 device.

Edit: I also own the RME UCX II audio interface for desktop use, along with the ADI-2 DAC FS. That combo is about as expensive as the new ADI-2/4, but is actually useful for my needs.

Last edited:

DonDish

The improvements is in hardware.! I know alot of ppl, myself included had high hopes for new DSP functions. 10 band PEQ, x-over and more. After letting this sink in I think the improvements made, makes alot of sense. Upgrades to balanced mode, IEM +1db at full SNR, and revised reference levels including one extra level. The improvments make for better sound.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
You know, nobody is forcing you to buy this unit. It’s just there as an incredibly versatile and SOTA AIO solution.

I for one appreciate that an already amazing piece of gear gets even more features and better performance all around. Will I be able to use all those features or hear the difference, me thinks not. ;)

04gto

+$200 maximum for dubious improvements.:facepalm:
Seems like a lot more than dubious improvements to me:

From the latest post on the RME forums:
"Differences ADI-2 Pro to ADI-2/4 Pro - Brief Overview

Extended and improved RefLevel structure: +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu, +24 dBu
Same RefLevels on Phones Outputs as 3 power states: IEM (+1 dBu), Low Power (+7 dBu), High Power (+19 dBu)
Independent RefLevels for Line Out 1/2 and Phones Out 1/2

Phones Output Power raised to 2.1 W unbalanced and 3.4 Watt balanced, 32 Ohm
New True Balanced Phones output scheme
Therefore Balanced Phones output independent from Line Out 1/2, full use at the same time
Added menu page for configuration of Phones 1/2
Dual Volume control now also available in balanced phones mode
Pentaconn connector for ease of use

Input impedance unbalanced raised to 45k - > compatible to Moving Magnet cartridges
Input impedance balanced raised to 90k - > ideal for measurements

Improved input stage, no added distortion even at lowest RefLevel that needs amplification

ADC: Selected ES9822Pro for lowest THD, highest THD+N and SNR
AD measurement bandwidth flat up to 200 kHz
AD filters selectable even at 384 kHz sample rate

DA frequency response expanded from 110 kHz to 350 kHz
DA filters selectable even at 768 kHz sample rate
De-Emphasis available even with NOS selected
New output stage delivers full SNR even at low RefLevel +1 dBu

Rear TRS outputs can be switched from 1/2 to 3/4
Trigger Out to control power amps etc

Full MM cartridge support: RIAA EQ and various gains included
Special feature Bass Mono to reduce rumble and groove noise

Comes with new, semi-grounded 40 Watts SMPS with IEC socket
And 114 page printed manual"

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm confident ADI-2/4 Pro will be a nice unit, but it will be expensive and I have no need for the ADC component; a DAC is all I need. I will more interested if the ADSI-2 DAC FS is upgraded.

The other question I have is why the balanced HP amp. RME could have done what Topping have done with the L50. All Topping did was connect the amp commons to the cold pins of a balanced connector. The same output power is available to balanced and unbalanced headphones.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why the balanced HP amp.
Well, people ask for it to get more power.
It does exist on the ADI-2 Pro already, since the first release, but is more convenient (and a bit more powerful) here, with its dedicated connector (with plug detection).

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
2.1 W to 3.4 W is barely noticeable, 2 dB. To get the same power increase from a SE amp would need a voltage increase of around 1.3. Not a big ask for modern semiconductor designs. Also, no complicated output switching.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that for such small improvements, the price was raised too much for a regular dac.. 2500€.
Can you name a single consumer device with equivalent functionality, performance and product support?

FINFET

Forum Donor
Can you name a single consumer device with equivalent functionality, performance and product support?
If I remembered correctly MC mentioned the ADI-2 Pro FS BE will continue to be in the market, so it is quite a challenger especially if the price drop after the release of ADI-2/4. A used ADI-2 Pro I mentioned earlier also has like 90% capability and you can expect it to run for like another decade from a made-in-germany stuff.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I remembered correctly MC mentioned the ADI-2 Pro FS BE will continue to be in the market, so it is quite a challenger especially if the price drop after the release of ADI-2/4. A used ADI-2 Pro I mentioned earlier also has like 90% capability and you can expect it to run for like another decade from a made-in-germany stuff.
I won’t be changing my ADI-2 Pro FS BE until it breaks down, but if I was buying new I’d consider the new version as the riaa is useful to me. I’m not a pro user though, sp my views are probably moot. I guess we’ll have to see what happens with the price of the FS BE, with inflationary pressures being what they are in Europe I can see it’s price going up rather than down, at which point the price difference looks less drastic.

frabor

Great, another gorgeous piece of equipment to add to the wish-it-was-cheaper list.
Now seriously, it is amazing that not so many years ago you needed 30k to match this level of performance at 5 percent of the price

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Listed here as well:

With better quality promotional pic:
RME_ADI-24_Pro_SE-0~2.jpg

Trell

Major Contributor

Yes, the new ADI-2/4 Pro is not a replacement for the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE that will continue to be manufactured.

So the product line-up will be:
  • ADI-2 FS
  • ADI-2 DAC FS
  • ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
  • ADI-2/4 Pro (name not finalized publically)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious to see how much the new chip ES9822Pro improves the AD conversion. There was no loopback measurement posted yet, especially comparing regular Pro to the new 2/4 Pro, right?

Edit: I think @VintageFlanker will have to review and compare both for proper justice again. :D @Audiophonics ?

Top Bottom