• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
20 dB headroom considers the worst case headroom required on some classical pieces. For rock/pop, headroom rarely exceeds 12 to 14 db, for instance. The amp is rated for 70W/ch at 6 ohms. As i mentioned on my earlier comment, it would take 60W/channel on my 6 ohm speakers to run at 80db (with 20 db headroom included, i.e., run it at 100 dB). Is it still risky?
If your calculations show you need 60 W for 100 dB peak at your MLP then you should be fine with that amp. In my opinion, it is always good to have more headroom, but again you should be fine as it is. Risk is not very high because as you said, most music contents don't have frequent peaks of 20 dB anyway. To play it extra safe, you can get an external quiet fan to keep it cool, and if you hear any distortions, turn it down a little right away.

p17s82

Just finished installing WXA-50 and speakers in my bedroom. I like how it sounds, and the setup options via app seem to be great compared to R-N303D I use in another room. One thing which came to my mind is to set this up to wake up and play, let's say, radio station from Net Radio at certain time, as a nicer option of morning alarm.
However, I couldn't find this anywhere in the app or in web interface?
Would you think it's possible?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...One thing which came to my mind is to set this up to wake up and play, let's say, radio station from Net Radio at certain time, as a nicer option of morning alarm.
However, I couldn't find this anywhere in the app or in web interface? Would you think it's possible?
Great usage idea, and I do see a "SLEEP" Mode in the settings but not a "WAKE" mode (but I am resisting updating the Firmware, too scared to bricking it). I have a small AM/FM (size near an old flip-phone) which has a 'wake' function, that can feed the WCA-50 (mine is the WXC-50).
I wonder if you can do a similar setup feeding the WXA-50 via a properly 'wake-configured' smartphone.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bit of a weird question - but if I plug the WXA-50 into a TV using the optical output of my TV, will I be able to use the TV remote to adjust volume, or will I need to use the WXA-50's remote?
u won't be able to use TV remote volume - because it will control TV speakers, and you need to keep TV speakers volume at 0, as you want to listen to your better speakers via WXA-50. or do u want both? ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When it came time to update my plasmaTV to the LG OLED early this year, I decided to invest in some of them unifying remotes like the Logitech Harmony 665. Actually ended up buying a pair as his and hers. Within the next few months (=April or so) I heard that either that Harmony 665 or the whole harmony line is about to be phased out (invasion of smartphones as r/c).
She is happy with a single unifying r/c to make her navigation simpler but I am not happy with them.
Would a Harmony unifying remote help you out of this jam, @decryption?

dougi

When it came time to update my plasmaTV to the LG OLED early this year, I decided to invest in some of them unifying remotes like the Logitech Harmony 665. Actually ended up buying a pair as his and hers. Within the next few months (=April or so) I heard that either that Harmony 665 or the whole harmony line is about to be phased out (invasion of smartphones as r/c).
She is happy with a single unifying r/c to make her navigation simpler but I am not happy with them.
Would a Harmony unifying remote help you out of this jam, @decryption?
It certainly should. I've been using Harmony remotes for 15 years or so. Just do it soon as who knows what the future of the platform will be. He should get a 650 before they are all gone, at a minimum.

Sel53

Can anyone please confirm if the WXA-50’s EQ settings also affect playback via the analog and optical inputs, or if the settings only affect the streaming (network) audio playback? This YouTube video seems to suggest the latter.

I’d like to tweak bass, mids and treble but will only be using the analog (aux) input. Thanks!
Edit … I missed that you were referring to using the Aux Out and wanted EQ. On the diagrams it looks like the Aux In feeds the Aux Out directly, prior to digitizing. There is a lot of re-routing that the unit can do under software control, but I have not tried what you asked. What I said below applies to the main output paths.
————
The digital optical input goes through the same path as the streaming feeds. The analog inputs are digitized (with very good quality, and I think 24bit 48kHz) and then fed through the same digital path as everything else. The EQ works on everything because it is the same path.

Last edited:

valerianf

Owner of a WXA-50 I got a technical question.
I am using it as an amplifier with the RCA connector as input.
Amir measured a gain of 7db to get 5W at the output.
Why is it a so low value when most of the tested amps have a gain between 24 to 29db?
Is it a design flaw because of a too weak input amplifier between the RCA input and the module input?

I had to put the maximum gain using the web interface to get some audible sound at the output.

mario_rouge

Sabaj is selling a new 125asx2 based amplifier. It would be interesting to understand how much the SINAD values will measure compared to the Yamaha WXA50.

xirtam2005

Was thinking this Yamaha might be a good "affordable" solution to power old unused Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers for desktop computer audio. This is not for critical listening, but to just connect and power the old Paradigms as decent "computer speakers" that sound "at least as good" as my Klipsch powered speakers that died. Mostly used a background low level ambient music and/or gaming.

I already have a DAC that functions as computer sound card - Oppo HA-2SE that I connect my headphones to for desktop "critical listening". It has analog line out but no volume control on the line out. I like that the Yamaha has a line in, but don't like that the analog line in converts to digital and will "degrade" the sound, but not sure if it matters for the non-critical listening way I want to use it. I cannot seem to find anything else that does what I want to do as well as this at an "affordable" price. The Yamaha seems to be better than competing products from NAD and Peachtree but they also function as USB soundcards, which I already have a very decent one.

valerianf

The WXA-50 will do the job from line in.
You can disable any DSP treatment from the web interface and the analog line in will not be converted to digital.

However one limitation is the digital gain that is very low (see Amir measurement).
I had to set to maximum the gain of the input buffer that is located after the RCA input.
Even at maximum volume the sound was not loud enough with my RCA input.
It could be due to my radio transmitter that drive the RCA input.
It is the only issue that I got with the WXA-50.

Will the gain be sufficient for you application?

xirtam2005

You can disable any DSP treatment from the web interface and the analog line in will not be converted to digital.

However one limitation is the digital gain that is very low (see Amir measurement).
I had to set to maximum the gain of the input buffer that is located after the RCA input.

Wow - that is good to know. How do I check if the gain is sufficient for my application?

If not, what other product can do what I want to do that is not too large, has good SINAD, and doesn't break the bank? Do you still have the WXA-50 or did you go with something else?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Was thinking this Yamaha might be a good "affordable" solution to power old unused Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers for desktop computer audio. This is not for critical listening, but to just connect and power the old Paradigms as decent "computer speakers" that sound "at least as good" as my Klipsch powered speakers that died. Mostly used a background low level ambient music and/or gaming.

I already have a DAC that functions as computer sound card - Oppo HA-2SE that I connect my headphones to for desktop "critical listening". It has analog line out but no volume control on the line out. I like that the Yamaha has a line in, but don't like that the analog line in converts to digital and will "degrade" the sound, but not sure if it matters for the non-critical listening way I want to use it. I cannot seem to find anything else that does what I want to do as well as this at an "affordable" price. The Yamaha seems to be better than competing products from NAD and Peachtree but they also function as USB soundcards, which I already have a very decent one.
For desktop use - If I were you I would buy Genelec 8020 second hand. In that way you gain real improvements in sound.
The Yamaha wxa/wxc units are good sounding units ( I have the wxc50 ) but they are not highend soundwise. Not quite as good as laptop-computer audio with a good USB interface like douk u2 or similar, in my experience ( I have a douk u2 to ).

Tangband

Major Contributor
Edit … I missed that you were referring to using the Aux Out and wanted EQ. On the diagrams it looks like the Aux In feeds the Aux Out directly, prior to digitizing. There is a lot of re-routing that the unit can do under software control, but I have not tried what you asked. What I said below applies to the main output paths.
————
The digital optical input goes through the same path as the streaming feeds. The analog inputs are digitized (with very good quality, and I think 24bit 48kHz) and then fed through the same digital path as everything else. The EQ works on everything because it is the same path.
If you compare the sound from a PC laptop with ASIO or a Mac and a good USB bridge and listen with very good loudspeakers you can hear the 48 kHz conversion in the yamaha.

valerianf

I kept the WXA-50 but had to increase to maximum the analog gain of all stages.
Side effect is that a hiss noise is present with the ear close to the speaker.

Each case is a particular setting, you need to test the WXA-50 with your settings (select a vendor with a good return policy).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

AB class Yamahas for instance have the analog input stage (option -- volume trim which for me is usabile in ±2 interval out of ±10 [see the second page of the review of R-N803 John's comment]). I wouldn’t know about their D class.

bozidar.krizan

Hello, is there possibility to change volume higher than just 0.5db? In web browser it can be set by 5db, but with remote no. Can we ask Yamaha to change that for next firmware update?
Regards!
Božidar

masmas112

Hello,

Registered to this site after reading the excellent review on this unit. I have had it for 2 years now, and have been very pleased. I use it in combination with DIY speakers based on a kit. However, I have now received a beautiful Dual 701 record player, which I have connected it to this amp. And after struggling getting high quality sound of the the record player (changing the element, preamp, wires) I finally started looking more in to this unit, and understood from this forum that the Aux-in is digitalized. Something I wouldn't have expected. (due to my inexperience with these type of amps.) And to make matters worse, it is also done with the lower end ADC (PCM9211PTR). So it will never sound better than the streaming services, which use the better SABRE9006AS DAC.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do, as I am really enjoying playing records, and I my collection is growing. However I now understand why the audio quality has been lacking. Do you guys have any suggestions? I see three options:

Option 1. Find a different integrated amp which does not digitalize aux in? I want it to be 1 small unit, due to size limitation, easy to use, built in Spotify and Tidal. I want everything in 1 unit to make it really easy to use (WAF factor...) ;)looking at the following units, but it is not so easy to find what they do with the AUX in.
Elac DS-A101-G ?
SVS Prime Wireless SoundBase?

Option 2. Buy a second small amp for the record player such as the AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 and a (automatic) speaker switcher.

Option 3 Buy a high quality ADC. Connect the record player via optical in. However I think that defeats the whole point of having a analogue source.

Am I missing something? Do you guys have other suggestions? Do you know of a t integrated amp that fits my wish list? Or should I just accept that I cant have everything and go for a big unit such as the Marantz NR1200 or something like Yamaha R-N803D.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I have now received a beautiful Dual 701 record player, which I have connected it to this amp. And after struggling getting high quality sound of the the record player (changing the element, preamp, wires) I finally started looking more in to this unit, and understood from this forum that the Aux-in is digitalized. Something I wouldn't have expected. (due to my inexperience with these type of amps.) And to make matters worse, it is also done with the lower end ADC (PCM9211PTR). So it will never sound better than the streaming services, which use the better SABRE9006AS DAC.
I really enjoy playing records, but I don't use my Yamaha WXA with it. My personal opinion is to go analog all the way or go digital all the way, don't do the hybrid thing. So get a dedicated amp - or the Sony STR-DH190 (available from Crutchfield for $198 with a dedicated phono input), and enjoy your records without the digital conversion.

Top Bottom