• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

BitPerfect_

Please don't confuse the App version (which is indeed 4.50) with Firmware version or System version which is 2.86 (1925).
@SS55 you can check the Firmware version in Settings, Room Settings, Information, System version.

Did you tried to restart the device in Settings, Room Settings, Reboot?
Shut down the device, unplug it for a few minutes then reconnect to power supply, restart and see how it goes. Good luck!

SS55

Please don't confuse the App version (which is indeed 4.50) with Firmware version or System version which is 2.86 (1925).
@SS55 you can check the Firmware version in Settings, Room Settings, Information, System version.

Did you tried to restart the device in Settings, Room Settings, Reboot?
Shut down the device, unplug it for a few minutes then reconnect to power supply, restart and see how it goes. Good luck!
I tried everything you mentioned. The update was 90% complete and failed but it seems to be the latest version.
774D53B2-26C8-4D40-84CA-9B1F40709DEA.jpeg

Last edited:

BitPerfect_

2.86 (1925) it’s the latest as far as I know, I’ve updated yesterday successfully and that’s the version. Maybe someone could confirm.

If failed but still appear, maybe you can download and install a previous version and after that update to the latest? just saying in order to avoid malfunctions … but better get in touch with Yamaha and see how they advise. There is a chance to brick the unit.

Last edited:

BitPerfect_

Hmm… then that’s strange. I’ve asked Yamaha. I’ll be back with details. 2.70 was in August and maybe 3.0 is for other products. We will see.

LE: @SS55 v2.86 confirmed by Yamaha support, the latest Firmware version for WXC, WXA-50.

Last edited:

Gyosa1

all 3 of mine just updated successfully.
anyone know what this version does ?
it’s not on the Yamaha website yet ..

bk

BitPerfect_

According to Yamaha support reply, this firmware update 2.86 includes
  1. SiriusXM playback stability improvement (U.S.A. and Canada only)
  2. Spotify connection stability improvement

Gyosa1

Thank god !
about time on the SiriusXM fix !
took long enough….

all summer mine would constantly disconnect from SiriusXM and then refuse to reconnect unless multiple reboots were performed or signing out of SiriusXM and re-signing in. Then it would work fine from anywhere from a minute or two to an hour or two … then randomly disconnect again . Repeat entire process again.

it was essentially “broken” - and , yes, it even happened on the one I have connected via Ethernet cable direct to the router. Tidal would work just fine , so I knew it wasn’t the WiFi signal. I had basically given up on it .

they had the exact same issue a couple years ago and it took Yamaha forever to fix it.
according to the Yamaha rep I spoke to back then , SiriusXM changes their codec from time to time and Yamaha is very slow to respond .

was about to replace it with something else…. Dunno with what , it’s the only SiriusXM streamer I know of…..

maddening when laying in the pool trying to relax to music.

bk

Last edited:

gags11

Forum Donor
My Yamaha CX-5100 processor also updated to ver 2.86 successfully days ago.

sethr

Does anybody know if it prefers 44 or 48Khz SPDIF input? Also curious about whether I should be using 24 or 32 bit depth (I assume 24)... thanks!

BitPerfect_

If you’re referring at RCA Coax, there is no input, output only. There is indeed a digital input, but it’s optical.

Last edited:

coastpunk

Can anyone please confirm if the WXA-50’s EQ settings also affect playback via the analog and optical inputs, or if the settings only affect the streaming (network) audio playback? This YouTube video seems to suggest the latter.

I’d like to tweak bass, mids and treble but will only be using the analog (aux) input. Thanks!

GiBo61

Is the level of the analog outputs of the Yamaha's WXC-50 pre-amp high enough to feed a Class D amplifier based on either Hypex NC252MP or Hypex NC502MP?

batfunk

Is the level of the analog outputs of the Yamaha's WXC-50 pre-amp high enough to feed a Class D amplifier based on either Hypex NC252MP or Hypex NC502MP?
Screenshot_20211013-170926.png

You need at least 2 Vrms to feed Hypex amps at max power, so you're fine :)

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

TrexWasabi

If set up vertically, is there an issue with cooling if the volume knob is on the top? I.e. opposite to what the diagram in the manual shows?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did many weeks of research before going with the WXC-50. I had a desktop Yamaha "Cavit" system made for a PC, before desktop/PC audio hardware became a contender. That darn thing is still getting use in the garage for FM/AuxIn and AudioEngine transmit to the desktop/PC. I HAD no choice when I realized that old Yamaha was designed very well, and thus pull the trigger on the WXC-50. I just plugged it in and made a few quick connection (TOSLINK, Aux IN, LAN, USB) and turned it on w/o RTFM. After a few months of basic usage, I had time to dig in and learn about MusicCast and all the features under the hood that it offers. Previously someone had posted trick with logging in using ip address followed by /setup in a browser address window.
Here is another I found:
As the IP address of this unit appears on the address
bar, enter “/service_info” following the IP address and

press the [Enter] key.
Then, “Device Information” will appear.

Top Bottom