• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

masmas112

I really enjoy playing records, but I don't use my Yamaha WXA with it. My personal opinion is to go analog all the way or go digital all the way, don't do the hybrid thing. So get a dedicated amp - or the Sony STR-DH190 (available from Crutchfield for $198 with a dedicated phono input), and enjoy your records without the digital conversion.
Thanks for the reply. Yes that is in my last sentence, just as you have as your signuter "Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?" Maybe i should just compromise on the size. I am hoping to find a small intregrated amp with streaming services built in, and a analogue processing of the aux in. But this is probably to much to ask. So then a "full sized" amp with built in spotify and tidal services would give me everything i ask for, expect the small size. (which will mean finding/making a new furniture..)

Anders76

I tested also what other dsp settings do - only Enhancer adds distortion. Funny to see, that Bass extension actually looses low bass and adds for one octave. However his might be good for typical small boxes with bass-reflex ports - they will sound louder and cleaner!

View attachment 123304

Loudspeaker type settings make only very small changes in response, none in distortion. View attachment 123307

Single tone examples of Enhancer distortion

View attachment 123306

View attachment 123305
Does "direct mode" bypass the "Loudspeaker type settings" ?

kflw935641

Just adding a few notes about my experience setting it up:

I couldn't set it up via the app and WiFi (Make sure the switch on the back has WiFi enabled). So instead I connected it via LAN to the router, found the IP via `sudo arp-scan --localnet` (linux), which is listed as either "YAMAHA ..." or "Texas Instruments", and navigated to this IP in the browser.

In the UI there I just disabled all "improvements" that I could find, afterwards the bass was allright. No distortion anymore. This stuff should really be off by default

I could also successfully set up WiFi in the browser-UI. Opening it on the MusicCast app worked as well afterwards.

Last edited:

orientpear

New to the forum. Decided to buy a used WXA-50 based on the review and comments here. I plan to use this at my desk. Haven't decided which speakers but Polk R100 or maybe Monitor Audio or ELAC are in consideration. I have a Wiim Mini streamer that I plan to use with the WXA-50.

fragzone

New to the forum. Decided to buy a used WXA-50 based on the review and comments here. I plan to use this at my desk. Haven't decided which speakers but Polk R100 or maybe Monitor Audio or ELAC are in consideration. I have a Wiim Mini streamer that I plan to use with the WXA-50.
The Yamaha has the streaming functionality in built unless you are aiming for a multi room setup using the wiim?

First time I have heard of the wiim and it looks like a really impressive bit of kit. I like the auto latency correction feature, absolutely fantastic stuff if it works as advertised. Also a healthy amount of inputs and outputs. Might get one for my swan m200mkiii.

orientpear

The Yamaha has the streaming functionality in built unless you are aiming for a multi room setup using the wiim?
I have heard mixed things about Yamaha MusicCast and for $99, it was something I wanted to just try. So far the Wiim Home app is quite good- I think I may like it more than the BluOS app (the Wiim Home app interface is more intuitive, at least to me).

fragzone

I have heard mixed things about Yamaha MusicCast and for $99, it was something I wanted to just try. So far the Wiim Home app is quite good- I think I may like it more than the BluOS app (the Wiim Home app interface is more intuitive, at least to me).
Yeah fair enough. I find music cast to be quite good so you should be happy either way.

orientpear

Questions to long-time MusicCast users. Is there a way to add Amazon Music as a source in the app? I'm using the Wiim Home's optical out as that streamer supports Amazon Music but it seems weird that MusicCast doesn't have Amazon Music as a source. My MusicCast Controller has Spotify, Deezer and Radiko.

Also, I am hearing a very short cutout at times, a fraction of a second. Hard to know if it is the music source, the streamer or the amp.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Questions to long-time MusicCast users. Is there a way to add Amazon Music as a source in the app? I'm using the Wiim Home's optical out as that streamer supports Amazon Music but it seems weird that MusicCast doesn't have Amazon Music as a source. My MusicCast Controller has Spotify, Deezer and Radiko.

Also, I am hearing a very short cutout at times, a fraction of a second. Hard to know if it is the music source, the streamer or the amp.
You can pull it off by buying a MusicCast product that does have Amazon Music. For example the MusicCast 20 is the cheapest available, which you can put in a bedroom. Then you need to sync the MusicCast 20 with your WXA-50. It's a workaround, to be sure, but it works for me because I keep my 20 in the garage, so I no one ever wants to hear something different from the 20 because I'm the only one who ever listens to music in the garage. I usually lower the garage volume to zero whenever I sync with any of my other MusicCast devices as none of my other six rooms (2 WXA-50's, 2 WXC-50's, 1 older Soundbar, 1 MusicCast WX-010) support Amazon Music.

orientpear

You can pull it off by buying a MusicCast product that does have Amazon Music. For example the MusicCast 20 is the cheapest available, which you can put in a bedroom. Then you need to sync the MusicCast 20 with your WXA-50.
Huh. Interesting. Thank you! Currently I can get Amazon Music to work with the Wiim Mini streamer, but it sucks to have to deal with multiple apps. The Wiim App for song search/selection and the Yamaha app for volume control, etc.

As much as I bought this WXA-50 because of the strong ASR review, I do find some of the limitations frustrating.

jgonera

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to set the default input to be selected when powering on WXA-50 instead of the last input used? I'm trying to use trigger in to turn on the amp when my projector turns on and I'd like it to always start with Optical input. Right now if the last thing I did was streaming with Spotify then it will start with that and I have to switch inputs... Any setting or clever trick I'm missing?

BTW If anyone is interested, trigger in seems to work with any voltage starting at 3V (the lowest I tried), so it seems 12V is not necessary and 5V from my projector's USB works just fine.

Piperman

Huh. Interesting. Thank you! Currently I can get Amazon Music to work with the Wiim Mini streamer, but it sucks to have to deal with multiple apps. The Wiim App for song search/selection and the Yamaha app for volume control, etc.

As much as I bought this WXA-50 because of the strong ASR review, I do find some of the limitations frustrating.
I am able to stream to Wiim directly from Amazon music app, I set Wiim up with Alexa and the Wiim suddenly appeared for streaming. My firmware version is 4.6.421831.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Says Amir in the 1st post:
I read however that there are two DAC chips inside this unit (an ESS and Bur-brown/TI) and that the fixed output is driven by the latter.

Actually my interest is for the (similar) WXC-50, question is: RCA line output is driven/ decoded by the Burr-Brown DAC ?!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Says Amir in the 1st post:
I read however that there are two DAC chips inside this unit (an ESS and Bur-brown/TI) and that the fixed output is driven by the latter.

Actually my interest is for the (similar) WXC-50, question is: RCA line output is driven/ decoded by the Burr-Brown DAC ?!

Looking at the block diagrams, it seems complicated, but from what I understand you can have the following scenarios:

1) If you use the aux (RCA) input that is for analog input signal, it will gets converted to digital and then through the DSPAs and DAC (the ESS one) - both DACs are used.
2) As in 1), use direct mode to bypass the DSP - Both DAC ICs are used.
3) As in 1), use the aux input for analog signals, and aux output for connection to something like a preamp via its analog input - in this case no DAC is in the path.
4) Use the Opt input, and aux output for connection to something else such as a preamp's analog input - In this case the PCM5101 is used.

Again, it looks complicated, hopefully I got it right. If this is important to you, you can try and download the block diagram and interpret it yourself or contact Yamaha support and hopefully manage get to pass their 1st level reps. I highly doubt there would be audible differences in any case.

TooJuicy

Overseas

I do not doubt the correctness of the reply above by Peng, but will add my limited experience and observation using the WXC-50.

First up, as Peng says the signal adjustments seem to be generated on or with the ESS DAC. This suggests that the signals are not adjusted when using the Burr-Brown DAC.

A simple observation of the Yamaha WXC-50 graphical user interface (I mean the web browser settings, not the Android app settings) reveal differences in the features available when throwing the "Mode Switch" on the back of the WXC-50 between the positions "Pre-Amp" and "Player".

Please note that the WXC-50 should be completely turned off from its power source before changing the Mode Switch. Turned Off means there are no LED alight on the front, so the WXC is unplugged from the wall power supply. It does not mean using the Off button on your Android device which puts the WXC in a powered but standby condition.

So, what do we see?

With the Mode Switch at the back of the WXC in Pre Amp position, using my Android device (phone) app select Settings from the options at the bottom of the screen. On the Settings page look down for ROOM SETTINGS and under there you will see your name for the WXC, click on this. On the next menu look down for EXTERNAL FEATURES and click on Advanced Settings. This will open up your WXC-50 settings in a web browser. On the Advanced Settings menu click on Sound >. This is the revealing part. On the Sound menu the first section will show Pre Amp / Player Mode as PRE AMP and the next section is called Sound (again) which will allow you to set various adjustments to the signal, you will see Enhancer, Bass Extension, Monaural Downmix, and Direct - all with Off / On options with the selection colored blue. Although if Direct is set to On the earlier adjustments are disabled (grayed out).

Now turn off the WXC and unplug it from the power and change the Mode Switch at the back of the WXC to Player position. Find the Sound menu as described above. Now you see all the Sound adjustments mentioned above (including Direct Off/On) are disabled / grayed out.

If you stream music on WXC in the Pre Amp mode you get access to the Yamaha's volume (gain) control on your Android app, but with the Mode Switch set to Player the Yamaha volume/gain control does not exist on the Android app.

The above features suggest to me that with the Mode Switch in Pre Amp position you are using the ESS DAC with DSP (Digital Sound Processing), while in Player mode you are not, that you are using the Burr-Brown DAC.

Tony

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Overseas

I do not doubt the correctness of the reply above by Peng, but will add my limited experience and observation using the WXC-50.

First up, as Peng says the signal adjustments seem to be generated on or with the ESS DAC. This suggests that the signals are not adjusted when using the Burr-Brown DAC.

A simple observation of the Yamaha WXC-50 graphical user interface (I mean the web browser settings, not the Android app settings) reveal differences in the features available when throwing the "Mode Switch" on the back of the WXC-50 between the positions "Pre-Amp" and "Player".

Please note that the WXC-50 should be completely turned off from its power source before changing the Mode Switch. Turned Off means there are no LED alight on the front, so the WXC is unplugged from the wall power supply. It does not mean using the Off button on your Android device which puts the WXC in a powered but standby condition.

So, what do we see?

With the Mode Switch at the back of the WXC in Pre Amp position, using my Android device (phone) app select Settings from the options at the bottom of the screen. On the Settings page look down for ROOM SETTINGS and under there you will see your name for the WXC, click on this. On the next menu look down for EXTERNAL FEATURES and click on Advanced Settings. This will open up your WXC-50 settings in a web browser. On the Advanced Settings menu click on Sound >. This is the revealing part. On the Sound menu the first section will show Pre Amp / Player Mode as PRE AMP and the next section is called Sound (again) which will allow you to set various adjustments to the signal, you will see Enhancer, Bass Extension, Monaural Downmix, and Direct - all with Off / On options with the selection colored blue. Although if Direct is set to On the earlier adjustments are disabled (grayed out).

Now turn off the WXC and unplug it from the power and change the Mode Switch at the back of the WXC to Player position. Find the Sound menu as described above. Now you see all the Sound adjustments mentioned above (including Direct Off/On) are disabled / grayed out.

If you stream music on WXC in the Pre Amp mode you get access to the Yamaha's volume (gain) control on your Android app, but with the Mode Switch set to Player the Yamaha volume/gain control does not exist on the Android app.

The above features suggest to me that with the Mode Switch in Pre Amp position you are using the ESS DAC with DSP (Digital Sound Processing), while in Player mode you are not, that you are using the Burr-Brown DAC.

Tony

Your observations on which DAC IC are used based on the mode feature is logical and appear to be consistent with my findings based on the audio flow block diagrams. I don't own one so I don't have user experience (you found a smarter way:)) and that's why I based on findings on the block diagrams only. Based on the mode switch feature/explanation in the owner's manual, there is no need to look to the block diagrams in the service manual.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Always a pleasure to communicate with smarter colleagues
So it is clear, my use case being to use it as streamer & DAC only, the resulting analog signal would be generated by/with B Brown.

I was contemplating WXC50 to add it to my AS1100 (which has a great preamp) , but based on my excellent experience with RN803D was looking to integrate an ESS DAC somehow. Which is not the case with WXC50.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always a pleasure to communicate with smarter colleagues
So it is clear, my use case being to use it as streamer & DAC only, the resulting analog signal would be generated by/with B Brown.

It depends on which scenario, that is points in my post#455 your use case fits in.. If it is 4), the TI chip will be used. If it is 1) or 2) then both chips will be used and in those I suppose you won't be using the player mode as @TooJuicy mentioned.

He said "The above features suggest to me that with the Mode Switch in Pre Amp position you are using the ESS DAC with DSP (Digital Sound Processing), while in Player mode you are not, that you are using the Burr-Brown DAC." Again, that sounds logical to me.

TooJuicy

....my use case being to use it as streamer & DAC only, the resulting analog signal would be generated by/with B Brown.

Overseas,

I can comment on using the WXC-50 as a Streamer and DAC. I hope this helps.

I use the WXC-50 to stream (I use Quboz) over WiFi. The analogue RCA output works plugged into my own preamplifier, with the WXC-50 physical Mode Switch in either the Pre Amp or the Player position.

I surmise that we get analogue output of a digital source through the ESS DAC when set in Pre Amp position, and through the Burr-Brown in Player position. The key point is that both positions are giving analogue output at the RCA terminal(s).

With the Mode Switch in the Player position the WXC-50 RCA output is always at its maximum volume / voltage. In the PRE AMP position the RCA output can be reduced / attenuated using the Yamaha volume module which is controlled by a slider on the Android app.

The Android app volume slider adjusts the volume / gain from -80 dB (I think, sorry not checked that fact, but it is quiet) up to a maximum 0 dB.

At maximum of 0dB on the volume/gain slider the WXC in Pre Amp position seems to output the same RCA volume / voltage as the fixed output in Player position.

Tony

Last edited:
Top Bottom