• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

TooJuicy

And to finish. I just listened to a streamed 16/44.1 track with RCA analogue output in first Pre Amp mode (with no attenuation, at max power) and then in Player mode (also & always at max power). Sound level was controlled by my external pre amplifier, and left at the same setting for both plays. This was never intended to be a critical comparison.

I was surprised because I expected there to be no difference in sound, yet I thought I could hear a subtle difference. Clearly I will have to try again even though the plugging & re-plugging the power lead when switching modes gets tedious. I imagined the ESS perhaps to be superior but that any difference was impossible to hear. I was very surprised to discover on this brief comparison the Player position was slightly more pleasant. Enough for me to want to try again on several more tracks.

Whether or not the two alternatives measure the same performance, if one sounds better to my ears then I'll surely listen to that one.

Tony

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And to finish. I just listened to a streamed 16/44.1 track with RCA analogue output in first Pre Amp mode (with no attenuation, at max power) and then in Player mode (also & always at max power). Sound level was controlled by my external pre amplifier, and left at the same setting for both plays. This was never intended to be a critical comparison.

I was surprised because I expected there to be no difference in sound, yet I thought I could hear a subtle difference. Clearly I will have to try again even though the plugging & re-plugging the power lead when switching modes gets tedious. I imagined the ESS perhaps to be superior but that any difference was impossible to hear. I was very surprised to discover on this brief comparison the Player position was slightly more pleasant. Enough for me to want to try again on several more tracks.

Whether or not the two alternatives measure the same performance, if one sounds better to my ears then I'll surely listen to that one.

Tony

Aside from the delay time involved in plugging/replugging, did you know which connection your were listening to? As Dr. Toole said, such kind of test need to be done in such a way that you wouldn't know which one you were listening to otherwise it wouldn't mean much, that's even for speakers let alone DACs. I have been comparing the following:

E50 XLR connected to my preamp XLR input and to a buckeye amp NC502MP, and
E50 RCA output connected to a HK3390's power amp (jumper between the preamp/power amp removed)

An amp A vs amp B switch box is use so there is no delay due to unplugging/plugging.

Listening test results:
Level matched to within 1 dB - thought I heard a subtle difference
Level matched to less than 0.5 dB, in fact almost exact - heard no difference

It is hard to hear a difference between two amps, it would be even more difficult to hear the difference between the two DACs in the WXC50.

The tests were not done double blind, not even single blind. If done in SBT or DBT, I would bet I could not hear any difference at all.

TooJuicy

Peng, that's good to know, that there's no discernible difference. I had expected that.

I will probably make a more serious comparison in due course, at which time I'll corral some independent and qualified listeners.

Thanks
Tony

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peng, that's good to know, that there's no discernible difference. I had expected that.

I will probably make a more serious comparison in due course, at which time I'll corral some independent and qualified listeners.

Thanks
Tony

That would be great! Again, in my opinion and experience, it is important to not only level match to within 0.5 dB but also use a switching device to eliminate the need to reconnect anything.

Paradigm5h1f7

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Yamaha WXA-50, multi-function DAC, pre-amp, power amp, streaming and multi-room unit. It is on kind loan from a member. Even though it came out a few years ago (2016?), it is widely available. Amazon shows it costs US $478.

Success of SONOS as a multi-room audio solution has been the envy of many traditional audio companies. Many have tried to chase them with Yamaha being one of the earlier ones.

The WXA-50 is a surprisingly heavy unit although looks somewhat unremarkable:

The case is metal as best as I can tell which is good as the unit generates good bit of heat. Strangely the heat is concentrated on the left side yet the vents are on the right!
There is an IR hole on the left which confused me to no end, constantly wanting to push it to turn on the unit.

I am not a fan of a single light indicating input and overload condition of the amplifier. Worst part of the interface is the volume control which has no marking and no display. Unless you use the app, you have no idea what volume you have set this to. This made my testing maddeningly hard.

I downloaded the App and here, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and reliability of it. With no configuration, the WXA-50 was recognized and manipulating its controls were instantaneous and reliable. I only used the App to reset the EQ, etc. so for its full functionality, you should seek out other reviews.

The back panel has extensive set of inputs and outputs although lacks USB:
I was pleased to see both analog input and outputs.

Yamaha heavily courted the Custom Install (CI) industry to use this instead of SONOS and it shows from inclusion of trigger input and output for control. Inclusion of Toslink input goes along these lines to fetch audio from a TV being fed by HDMI.

DAC Audio Measurements
I briefly measured DAC performance. I read however that there are two DAC chips inside this unit (an ESS and Bur-brown/TI) and that the fixed output is driven by the latter. So this may not be representative of what happens when you stream music into this device:

View attachment 28716

This is decent performance although it degraded fair bit if I turned up the volume on the amplifier to max. That increased the higher order harmonics even though the output level of the DAC did not change. We have seen this before and likely is the power supply sagging causing DAC performance to suffer. SInce you don't listen at max volume level, I did not derate the WXA-50 performance when including it in the performance chart:

View attachment 28717

Amplifier Audio Measurements
Since we have analog inputs, I started my testing using that and got this for our usual dashboard at roughly 5 watts:
View attachment 28722

I played around with combination of input levels and volume control and performance was pretty consistent. SINAD (signal over noise and distortion) is actually quite respectable for an amplifier:

View attachment 28723

I tested the same, this time using Roon to stream the 1 kHz tone to it using Airplay:

View attachment 28724

We lose just a couple of dBs although distortion levels are a bit lower.

From here on, I tested the unit using its analog input unless specified.

Frequency response shows decent bandwidth and flat response in audible band:

View attachment 28725

No strange and limiting digitization of input is visible which is good.

Signal to noise ratio is good enough for 16 bit audio:

View attachment 28726

Let's get into all important measurement: power into 4 ohm versus distortion:
View attachment 28727

We are close to meeting the spec (I measure at much lower distortion than they do). We have cleaner power than either Sonos or Amazon amps although the SONOS has much more power.

Here is the performance at 8 ohm:
View attachment 28728

I don't have as much data for 8 ohm but what is there, shows competent performance but with just 55 watts on tap.

Intermodulation distortion versus power level tells a similar story:
View attachment 28729

THD+N versus frequency and power shows very predictable performance with no corner cases exposed:
View attachment 28730

Only 20 Hz tones gives it a bit of trouble with rising distortion above 10 watts but that is slight.

The unit also shut down at 20 kHz at max clipping level. I reduced the volume level a few notches and that went away even though I was still pushing the unit into hard clipping.

Spectrum of 1 kHz tone with no AES filter shows the usual noise in high frequencies we get from class-D amps:
View attachment 28731

While this looks ugly, the spikes near audio band are way down at -75 dB which is very good. I have tested amps where these levels are much, much higher.

The two channels have different switching frequencies. Not sure if this is on purpose or variation in the clock source of their modulators. The two beat against each other likely creating the intermodulation spikes that we see throughout the range.

Conclusions
Unlike the bag of parts performance I often see in these modern streaming products, the Yamaha WXA-50 seems to have benefited from some attention to raw performance of each subsystem. There are no funny results, strange pipelines that go in and out of digital domain, etc. The performance graphs are all smooth with no sudden jaggies or other anomalies. This makes it easier to use the unit, not having to work around its weakness (I am talking to you SONOS).

We also have decent amount of power, approaching 100 watts into 4 ohm which should be plenty. If you add the subwoofer to it, you will be golden even at high SPLs.

The app likewise, gives a feeling of polish that I often find lacking in competing products.

In summary, I did not raise an eyebrow when measuring the Yamaha WXA-50. It won't provide competition to state-of-the-art separate products but it also doesn't embarrass. As such, I am going to put the WXA-50 on my recommended list.

------
Questions, comments, critique, etc. are welcome.

I was reading that the standard diet for panthers is large animals such as deer, antelope, etc. I have not fed anything like that to my panthers and they are starting to mumble "animal abuse" under the lips. Before this gets out of hand, please donate money so I can purchase some real game to feed them using:

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Just wanted to say thank you for your review, great job. I did however want to add because some people were asking, and I have a theory.

In the manual it shows SNR on the Aux Input as 95db, similar to what you measured. Possibly passing through the Burr Brown ADC/DAC for sonic / tonal controls? Also, in the manual, the Optical / Net / USB / Bluetooth inputs have a SNR of 112, so they would use the ESS 24 bit DAC.

Some speculation, but the manual does show different SNR for Aux in, vs other inputs... so it makes sense... at least to me.

AJM1981

In the options to select the type of loudspeaker there are 'floorstander' and 'bookshelf' among a few others. According to the measurements these choices have a bit of effect on the response.

My speakers are large 3-way standmounts (Wharfedale Evo 4.2). Which are kind of the average of both choices. I have requested the addition of this in an update to the software but I am not sure it will ever be a choice. Till that time; which option would fit best?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the options to select the type of loudspeaker there are 'floorstander' and 'bookshelf' among a few others. According to the measurements these choices have a bit of effect on the response.

My speakers are large 3-way standmounts (Wharfedale Evo 4.2). Which are kind of the average of both choices. I have requested the addition of this in an update to the software but I am not sure it will ever be a choice. Till that time; which option would fit best?
Do you have a subwoofer in this setup? If yes, try "bookshelf." If no, then use "floorstander."

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s best to disable all this random EQ and run it flat.

AJM1981

It’s best to disable all this random EQ and run it flat.
The speaker select option has no bypass on its own. Unless it is bypassed when selecting the general bypass option. But in this mode it also seems to bypass my subwoofer,which I use for a little bass extension till around 20 hz.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker select option has no bypass on its own. Unless it is bypassed when selecting the general bypass option. But in this mode it also seems to bypass my subwoofer,which I use for a little bass extension till around 20 hz.
Just enable the direct mode and bypass the nonsense.

AJM1981

Just enable the direct mode and bypass the nonsense.

Here is a little thing.

Tube amps add distortion "but" also bring arbitrary likeable changes to the sound. Not bypassable. Qualified as no nonsense.

Why should I want to bypass an enhancer that adds distortion and adds similar subtle likeable coloration? :)

I could. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But it is not a negative point in my opinion, unless tubes are seen as a no go as well.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a little thing.

Tube amps add distortion "but" also bring arbitrary likeable changes to the sound. Not bypassable. Qualified as no nonsense.

Why should I want to bypass an enhancer that adds distortion and adds similar subtle likeable coloration? :)

I could. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But it is not a negative point in my opinion, unless tubes are seen as a no go as well.
I'm suggesting to bypass the EQ and speaker type EQ as it's not based on your speakers and room and is therefore unpredictable. If you want to EQ I suggest using a miniDSP device or something similar to measure and create a tailored EQ to fix your room nodes and match a room curve to your taste. BTW I listened to the WCA-50 with the EQ on and I thought it sounded terrible. Switched it all off and it sounded transparent. I've moved away from it now and use a WCX-50 with a downstream miniDSP to do tailored room correction and sub crossover.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you please share with me, what model of miniDSP please?
In one system I use a SHD studio, in the other a NanoDigi, both use the digital out from a WXC-50 as a source and use separate DACs. What's your setup?

BitPerfect_

Thanks.
For online radio and FLAC’s stored on HDD,
Yamaha WXC-50 (bypass EQ on) via optical out to Denafrips Ares II, analog RCA to Technics EQ SH-GE70 (when I want to add a little bit of high frequency but most of the time is set to Off) analog out > Vincent SV-227 MK II Amp > JBL ES100.

Or, AppleMusic from iPhone/ iPad directly to Ares II DAC using CCK and so on.

Despite the contrast between my nickname and coloration, I care about bitperfect and stuff but I also enjoy adding EQ and sound alteration.

In the end, imho it’s about reaching that point when you say, “that’s the sound that I was looking for, I really enjoy it and it’s enough.”

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.
Yamaha WXC-50 (EQ Off) via optical out to Denafrips Ares II, analog RCA to Technics EQ SH-GE70 (when I want to add a little bit of high frequency but most of the time is set to Off) analog out > Vincent SV-227 MK II Amp > JBL ES100.

Despite the contrast between my nickname and coloration, I care about bitperfect and stuff but I also enjoy adding EQ and sound alteration (e.g. Denafrips filters etc).

In the end, imho it’s about reaching that point when you say, that’s the sound that I was looking for and it’s enough.
You have a few options:

1) WXC-50 Toslink out -> miniDSP 2x4 HD-> amp (lose the dac and EQ as the miniDSP has that function)
2) WXC-50 Toslink or coax out ->Mini DSP Flex analog unbalanced -> amp (lose the dac and EQ as the miniDSP has that function)
3) WXC-50 Toslink or coax out ->Mini DSP Flex digital ->DAC-> amp (lose the EQ as the miniDSP has that function)
4) WXC-50 Toslink or coax out ->Mini SHD Studio ->DAC-> amp (lose the EQ as the miniDSP has that function)
4) WXC-50 Toslink or coax out ->Mini SHD -> amp (lose the DAC and EQ as the miniDSP has that function)

For apple music/streaming you'll want to go to through the WXC-50 (or SHD) so that your EQ and room correction will still be in effect.

Depends what other functionality and I/O needs you have. I wouldn't hesitate to cut the EQ and DAC out of your system and use one of the miniDSPs with an internal DAC.

btw: all these options will support sub integration if you want to add subs.

Last edited:

BitPerfect_

Thanks for the tips.
Funny, my WXC-50 using toslink, doesn’t have EQ. It’s active only using analog out.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tips.
Funny, my WXC-50 using toslink, doesn’t have EQ. It’s active only using analog out.
Point was to use the WXC (or SHD) as your source as it would be upstream of the miniDSP which would be doing the EQ rather than directly to the DAC which would be downstream of the miniDSP EQ.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thanks.
Yamaha WXC-50 (bypass EQ on) via optical out to Denafrips Ares II, analog RCA to Technics EQ SH-GE70 (when I want to add a little bit of high frequency but most of the time is set to Off) analog out > Vincent SV-227 MK II Amp > JBL ES100.

Despite the contrast between my nickname and coloration, I care about bitperfect and stuff but I also enjoy adding EQ and sound alteration.

In the end, imho it’s about reaching that point when you say, “that’s the sound that I was looking for, I really enjoy it and it’s enough.”
Do you hear a difference in ”preamp mode” and ”player mode” ? I think my Yamaha wxc50 sounds a bit better in ”player mode” when bypassing the volume control , on the digital outputs.

BitPerfect_

I’ve tested, may be a little bit more depth and clearer sound (?) in Player mode which I am using too.

Top Bottom