• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Damn. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this $99 DAC is performing this good and yet the designer provides the schematics on the net, FOR FREE?! When was the last time something like this happened in audio industry? The ol' ODAC days?

Veri

Master Contributor
Damn. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this $99 DAC is performing this good and yet the designer provides the schematics on the net, FOR FREE?! When was the last time something like this happened in audio industry? The ol' ODAC days?

I guess we finally know what nvawguy ended up doing :D :D
Spoiler: he's not amir

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I guess we finally know what nvawguy ended up doing :D:D
Spoiler: he's not amir
LOL.

But seriously though, how do they recoup the money for R&D (assuming that they own the APx555 unit) and still provide the schematics while selling well-engineered products for very little money in this niche market? o_O

derp1n

willow

willow, is this DAC completely pop-free on turnon/turnoff and spdif sync/unsync ?
when using alone Tone Board, it can be SPDIF in to ESS DAC
when using the Tone board with VIMs, it can be SPDIF in to VIMs or VIMs SPDIF out to ESS DAC.
check the below picture:
Khadas Tone Board.png

bunkbail

Forum Donor

bunkbail

Forum Donor
sure, we have two versions of Tone board, it can be used alone or used along with SBC.
but when using alone, it can't support SPDIF out.
No I mean can the DIY case be used with Tone board alone?

pos

Forum Donor
when using alone Tone Board, it can be SPDIF in to ESS DAC
when using the Tone board with VIMs, it can be SPDIF in to VIMs or VIMs SPDIF out to ESS DAC.
My question was about pops/noises/clicks/thumps that can occur on the analog outputs when a DAC is turned on or off, or when it get or looses spdif synchronization (sampling frequency change, etc.).
Does your DAC emit such clicks or is it completely silent in all those instances?

Red_Red

Hello,

As others have asked, could you please also test the SPDIF entry (in entry mode)?

Too bad they do not seem to have planned direct link USB to SPDIF (in output mode) in stand alone use...

And as I am new to this forum, I greet everyone sympathetically.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hello,

As others have asked, could you please also test the SPDIF entry (in entry mode)?

Too bad they do not seem to have planned direct link USB to SPDIF (in output mode) in stand alone use...

And as I am new to this forum, I greet everyone sympathetically.

If you're looking for a cheap but good USB to SPDIF converter (called also a "USB bridge") take a look at Topping D10.

Red_Red

If you're looking for a cheap but good USB to SPDIF converter (called also a "USB bridge") take a look at Topping D10.
Thank you even I had already thought about the Topping D10.
That said, the test conducted by our host, was not particularly extensive if not compare the influence of the D10 on the response of the RME ADI-2 DAC or shiit modi 2 ... I would have preferred a direct signal analysis at the Topping D10 SPDIF output.

TimW

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is the S/PDIF input performance. You activate it by just hooking up a USB power supply to USB port. I used the little switcher Wesion sent me.

Khadas Tone Board DAC SPDIF Dashboard Measurement.png

With USB input, Channel 2 had some spikes around 10 kHz which are now gone, resulting in nearly 2 dB improvement.

Top Bottom