• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

solderdude

Major Contributor
I am very glad people like that exist that tell it like it is and are sharing their views.
All of them have stepped on quite a few toes and have exposed things/products as to what they are.
They provide a great service for a lot of (mainly less subjectivistis oriented) people.

The audiophile brands and nonsense hasn't become less and given the huge amount of (usually very expensive) nonsense stuff that is still sold today it doesn't make much impact in this audio segment I am afraid. Their loss... the info is out there.

BillG

Major Contributor
I would say sheepishly that we -- I and all of you -- may have created something that has not been done before. Forums are random chatter and have little collective effect. The combination of hardcore, focused and comparative objective reviews and feedback and spread of news by you all is creating an impact.
I'm a moderator of an audio streaming group on Facebook, and just about every streaming related product that's been reviewed here I post a link to for our members, which number around 3,300 as of today. ASR is also being referenced by a number of audiophile focused Reddit groups from what I've seen. So, we are indeed having an impact... :cool:

splattened

Forum Donor
I don't think you'd want to base the success of the NwAvGuys and ASRs of the world on winning over the subset of people you were probably never going to win over to begin with. For everyone else, as you acknowledge, these are invaluable resources. Even if it doesn't slay all the dragons overnight, I think it contributes to a longer term grass roots wealth of information and discussions that anyone digging a little beneath the surface has a chance to find. All of that contributes to real tangible change, I think.

If the fact is to achieve technical brilliance is highly cost effective and the subjectist motto is sound first, how can a engineer put such a premium on “sound shaping” after all, to engineer a technically great dac doesn’t cost a lot of money, building a beautiful chassis doesn’t cost a arm and a leg either. So their muddling up is a art form in which requires thousands added for the time it takes to tune “ urg ..detune by ear? Fascinating. So I should trust your opinion instead of evidence as my source of truth. I tried that philosophy, it had me constantly buying selling because the next one is so much “better” that is the madness of being subjective

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
next one is so much “better” that is the madness of being subjective
Quite so, in the presence of flowery language and buzz word trendiness of subjective audio there is always temptation to believe the next, more expensive, item is much better whereas cold subjectivity shows that most electronics has been audibly transparent (IMO) for decades and the differences are features, styling. reliability and so forth, not sound (though there are plenty of popular components with sound effects built in).

Herbert

I think our hobby is well defined: High Fidelity. Adding no garbage to a music signal and reproduce
it faithfully. Unfortunately this means that one could happily stick to a product more than three decades old
which led to this TotalDAC nonsense, trying to sell new crap...
Which is very funny indeed -
anyone expects from a car-afficionado to know what he/she talks about but High End afficionados
are allowed to wail in ignorance...

Cortes

someone knolewdgeable in marketing could explain us this:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57599-totaldac-d1-streamer/

Any experiences with the new totaldac d1-streamer?
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm
Thank you
Matt

Dear Matthias,
I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
someone knolewdgeable in marketing could explain us this:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57599-totaldac-d1-streamer/

Any experiences with the new totaldac d1-streamer?
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm
Thank you
Matt

Dear Matthias,
I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...
In a nutshell, they should send those units to Amir to check how disastrous they measure. Then they will be able to go on and pretend measurements are not everything.

Cortes

what's worrisome is not the many shills in the forums, is that some forums (many? most of them?) are becoming the shills.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Priceless:

"the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made."

You can't make this stuff up. Oh wait . . . yes you certainly can.

I wonder how you measure kitchen size in an electronic component. Sq. ft./mw?

Herbert

what's worrisome is not the many shills in the forums, is that some forums (many? most of them?) are becoming the shills.
In German there is a saying:
"Einbildung ist auch eine Bildung"

The pun: "Einbildung" means delusion, "Bildung" means education. So people
are more happy with delusion (but in a sense also with imagination) than with education...

Top Bottom