• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course ot is not - the audiophiles want gadgets, the reviewers money from their adverisers, the "High End" companies.
It has always been like this but there was (sometimes) times where workmanship, technical progress and reviews gave a real benefit to the customer...

Cortes

someone knolewdgeable in marketing could explain us this:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57599-totaldac-d1-streamer/

Any experiences with the new totaldac d1-streamer?
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm
Thank you
Matt

Dear Matthias,
I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
someone knolewdgeable in marketing could explain us this:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57599-totaldac-d1-streamer/

Any experiences with the new totaldac d1-streamer?
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm
Thank you
Matt

Dear Matthias,
I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...
In a nutshell, they should send those units to Amir to check how disastrous they measure. Then they will be able to go on and pretend measurements are not everything.

Cortes

what's worrisome is not the many shills in the forums, is that some forums (many? most of them?) are becoming the shills.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Priceless:

"the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made."

You can't make this stuff up. Oh wait . . . yes you certainly can.

I wonder how you measure kitchen size in an electronic component. Sq. ft./mw?

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what's worrisome is not the many shills in the forums, is that some forums (many? most of them?) are becoming the shills.
In German there is a saying:
"Einbildung ist auch eine Bildung"

The pun: "Einbildung" means delusion, "Bildung" means education. So people
are more happy with delusion (but in a sense also with imagination) than with education...

noiseangel

I love reading back through these old reviews, especially when someone on facebook pipes up to a manufacturer (who makes an exceptional DAC/Preamp/Active Crossover with full measuremets like ASR does) that this terrible piece of pathetic engineering for US13000+ is far better. What a rip off. I can't believe their is a worse performing DAC than PS Audio thats more expensive. Who knew that in this day and age you have to pay more for poorer performance.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get a pretty good idea of the composer's kitchen with my current hardware, thanks.

Wagner
1610631419186.png

Steve Reich
1610631463155.png

Morton Feldman
1610631680335.png

noiseangel

To get an idea of the power of the totaldac sound:

http://www.totaldac.com/records-en.htm
Well I have to say it sounds like crap on my laptop speakers but everything sounds like crap on my laptop speakers. I don't understand posting a youtube video, or any recording from a sound system for that matter, to demonstrate how something sounds. What is the point of this? What I am listening to has no bearing on what you have recorded for me to pass any sort of judgement on how anything sounds, except for the fact Amirs review shows this to be an overpriced piece of junk. For gods sake man the panther lost his head over this DACCRAP. Thats animal cruelty. Look at him. He has no head and Total DAC did this to him. Oh the humanity, the humanity.

1610632672313.png

Last edited:

welsh

^ Linked finnish HH-forum:

someone measures DAC and doesn't get technically decent result => pseudoscience crap, inaudible, but it sounds good (internet told me so)

and then

243 pages about power chords and how they change (mostly improve) sound...

classic interconnect cables thread with similar idea was deleted after +500 pages...

:D
As a guitarist, I find power chords useful. Power cords? I just use what comes in the box.

welsh

Nah, Keith Moon had some talent. Boris is just one more public schoolboy twit the British still haven't learned to ignore.
This is 2022. Keith Moon would undoubtably have been a better Prime Minister. At least he would have admitted to a predilection for drunken parties.

welsh

Answering your question, yes, I could hear the difference but I could not measure it. Wife she is a pianist, professional pianist, she could hear that too and confirmed the same appreciation without biasing. Did it sounded better? I don't think so. Did it sounded better to my ears because of the soundstage and EQ arrangement for that specific song? definitely yes. Will it sound best with other songs? I don't know actually.
But was your wife in the kitchen when she noticed the difference?

DSJR

Major Contributor
He had better hair, too.
We just replaced our old 'tickling stick' duster thingy with a bright yellow anti-static version. Held straight up, some strands stick up haphazardly, so we've called it Boris. Jiggle it up and down, the 'strands' dance about in a way Toyah Willcox's hair used to back in the early 80's (I've held a torch for Toyah for well over forty years now, bless her). Unlike the 'B' word though, this thing is useful..... What this has got to do with a useless overpriced dac I'll never know, but still....

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We just replaced our old 'tickling stick' duster thingy with a bright yellow anti-static version. Held straight up, some strands stick up haphazardly, so we've called it Boris. Jiggle it up and down, the 'strands' dance about in a way Toyah Willcox's hair used to back in the early 80's (I've held a torch for Toyah for well over forty years now, bless her). Unlike the 'B' word though, this thing is useful..... What this has got to do with a useless overpriced dac I'll never know, but still....
Now you put me in the mood to listen to some Fripp.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom