• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Peter W. Belt passed away at the age of 87 in feb 2017

His wife continues the business.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://twitteringmachines.com/farewell/

I wonder how much of this totaldac debacle had to do with his decision to shut down the site so abruptly. My guess is his website was generating an embarrassingly low number of views each month and it didn't make financial sense to keep it going. What does retiring from hifi mean? He's done doing professional reviews? He's going to sell all his equipment? I also heard he just got a bunch of equipment in for review, like Dartzeel and Mola Mola. What a shame we wont see his lovely opinions on said gear. :p

graz_lag

Major Contributor
https://twitteringmachines.com/farewell/

I wonder how much of this totaldac debacle had to do with his decision to shut down the site so abruptly. My guess is his website was generating an embarrassingly low number of views each month and it didn't make financial sense to keep it going. What does retiring from hifi mean? He's done doing professional reviews? He's going to sell all his equipment? I also heard he just got a bunch of equipment in for review, like Dartzeel and Mola Mola. What a shame we wont see his lovely opinions on said gear. :p

Indeed, just did a quick comparison on SimilarWeb ...
The Avg. Visit Duration & Page per Visit explain a lot abt. the differences in the page quality content in comparison to ASR.
Although a little bit better, Darko Audio loses within the same performances.
1565514524326.png

1565514408693.png

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
Indeed, just did a quick comparison on SimilarWeb ...
The Avg. Visit Duration & Page per Visit explain a lot abt. the differences in the page quality content quality in comparison to ASR.
Although a little bit better, Darko Audio loses within the same performances.
View attachment 31112
View attachment 31111

assuming the data is clean (lol), Jesus, 70% bounce rate in no way looks good for the website at all

invaderzim

Whoever wrote that - I didn't bother to read their name - isn't a reviewer, but more of a marketeer. I have to admire their product photography, though... :p

Very well put. There are a lot of 'reviewers' online that are really marketing reps.

And do they get paid by the word? Their writing and speaking is so overly flowery and takes 100 words to say what 10 would say.

A guy at work wanted to start doing reviews on youtube and my first question to him was 'how are you going to kill more than 2 minutes talking about each item?

invaderzim

There's not many that aren't.

I did go soft with using 'a lot' as I can't think of any that aren't.

And audiophiles criticise certain mass market brands for selling overpriced junk....... Oh dear.....

Someone scribbling on paper for $10 is overpriced; someone scribbling on paper for 1.5 million is art.
A DAC for $200 is overpriced junk, a DAC for $15,000 is a work of art.

THW

Forum Donor
And do they get paid by the word? Their writing and speaking is so overly flowery and takes 100 words to say what 10 would say.

Yeah this is one thing that really annoys me, large parts of these “online reviews” I consider to be no better than rambling since to my mind, in terms of content offered there is no difference between the two

I would hazard a guess and think that is also why I get mighty bored of most “online reviews” very quickly and just go do something else after reading 3 paragraphs, I cannot stand reading 3 paragraphs of nothing in a row

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I did go soft with using 'a lot' as I can't think of any that aren't.

Someone scribbling on paper for $10 is overpriced; someone scribbling on paper for 1.5 million is art.
A DAC for $200 is overpriced junk, a DAC for $15,000 is a work of art.
I'm going to put my old ( decade or more) underpants on eBay then.

Has any man in history actually thrown a pair of underpants away ?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to put my old ( decade or more) underpants on eBay then.

Has any man in history actually thrown a pair of underpants away ?

Why? Give them a scrape and they'll be good for another ten years. Waste not want not.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yeah this is one thing that really annoys me, large parts of these “online reviews” I consider to be no better than rambling

Are they really the ones to blame when in fact they would cease to exist very quickly if there wouldn't be enough "followers" to watch them?

Just look at the information and knowledge accumulated here on ASR. The only thing you have to do is to reach to it via the search field and yet not many people does that. So who is really to blame, "online reviewers" or their ignorant "flock of followers"?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No, but I did manage to loose some of them on some weird occasions. That though happened when I was young. Now I take care of my underpants much better.
I bet @Sal1950 has underpants that have seen him through all his wife's ha ha

THW

Forum Donor
So who is really to blame, "online reviewers" or their ignorant "flock of followers"?

i’d agree followers aren’t fault free either, they basically enable the behaviour of reviewers.

i mean, you actually see this kind of thing in the gaming industry also, the companies themselves basically releasing incomplete games at launch with a lot of additional monetisation garbage yet the consumers themselves are stupid enough to keep giving money to these companies

Top Bottom