• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No, but I did manage to loose some of them on some weird occasions. That though happened when I was young. Now I take care of my underpants much better.
Wife's / girlfriends throw them away , they always say they didn't but we know the truth.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very well put. There are a lot of 'reviewers' online that are really marketing reps.

And do they get paid by the word? Their writing and speaking is so overly flowery and takes 100 words to say what 10 would say.

A guy at work wanted to start doing reviews on youtube and my first question to him was 'how are you going to kill more than 2 minutes talking about each item?
It's related to the test-taking technique, wherein one does not really know the material, yet still manages to receive an A. This doesn't work with multiple choice or true/false, of course. So-called "essay" questions or "short* answer" format are the key. Write volumes, with beautiful and elegant phrasing and perfect grammar, lots of detail (that at most dances peripherally around the question), and the final key is gorgeous penmanship! An A every time, guaranteed! When you know the material inside and out, a brief and to-the-point answer always suffices.

Now, my school days are long behind me, so this may no longer work. Or, possibly, it might be easier now that so few can write cursive at all, let alone beautifully, so bloviating in elegant script might be even more appreciated by instructors now that it ever was! :D

*I never had an instructor that objected to my blatant mockery of the "short answer" where I'd write in tiny-but-still-beautiful cursive, and squeeze in "continued on reverse" and write an entire paragraph on the back of the sheet. Depending on the subject matter, it didn't hurt to throw in a phrase or word in Greek or Latin or French, so long as it was used correctly (the instructor was more apt to verify the foreign phrase than bother to see if any of this actually answered the test question!).

Part of the success of this technique in an educational setting could simply have been from inducing boredom in the reader through sheer length, so they slog through a little, then just assume the answer is in there somewhere and move on to the next student's test. As you can see from this and other posts I've made, long-windedness is ingrained in me to this day. haha!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they really the ones to blame when in fact they would cease to exist very quickly if there wouldn't be enough "followers" to watch them?

Just look at the information and knowledge accumulated here on ASR. The only thing you have to do is to reach to it via the search field and yet not many people does that. So who is really to blame, "online reviewers" or their ignorant "flock of followers"?
For me it is definitely the subjective reviewing “industry”.
If one knows little about a subject it is reasonable to seek expert advice. For decades now pretty well every magazine has been full of opinions unsupported by fact or actual reason. Sometimes a theory on why based, certainly on record players the only part I know a lot about, on pseudoscience or wild speculation, frequently wrong.
Coming here just makes many surprised or confused by the difference of approach which hasn’t been around much for 20 or 30 years.
If you had been convinced of the subjective approach for many years, even the whole of your time in the hobby, this site must seem almost threatening. If you are new to the hobby it must seem an eccentric outlier since the vast majority of the Hi-Fi websites are subjective dross.
I blame the magazines and the people who started subjective reviews.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I did go soft with using 'a lot' as I can't think of any that aren't.

Someone scribbling on paper for $10 is overpriced; someone scribbling on paper for 1.5 million is art.
A DAC for $200 is overpriced junk, a DAC for $15,000 is a work of art.

'A work O' fart' did you say? Oops.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's related to the test-taking technique, wherein one does not really know the material, yet still manages to receive an A. This doesn't work with multiple choice or true/false, of course. So-called "essay" questions or "short* answer" format are the key. Write volumes, with beautiful and elegant phrasing and perfect grammar, lots of detail (that at most dances peripherally around the question), and the final key is gorgeous penmanship! An A every time, guaranteed! When you know the material inside and out, a brief and to-the-point answer always suffices.

Now, my school days are long behind me, so this may no longer work. Or, possibly, it might be easier now that so few can write cursive at all, let alone beautifully, so bloviating in elegant script might be even more appreciated by instructors now that it ever was! :D

*I never had an instructor that objected to my blatant mockery of the "short answer" where I'd write in tiny-but-still-beautiful cursive, and squeeze in "continued on reverse" and write an entire paragraph on the back of the sheet. Depending on the subject matter, it didn't hurt to throw in a phrase or word in Greek or Latin or French, so long as it was used correctly (the instructor was more apt to verify the foreign phrase than bother to see if any of this actually answered the test question!).

Part of the success of this technique in an educational setting could simply have been from inducing boredom in the reader through sheer length, so they slog through a little, then just assume the answer is in there somewhere and move on to the next student's test. As you can see from this and other posts I've made, long-windedness is ingrained in me to this day. haha!

You pack a lot into your 'presumed' long-windedness - unlike others.;)

See my tag-line and take that as a compliment.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You pack a lot into your 'presumed' long-windedness - unlike others.;)

See my tag-line and take that as a complement.
Your tag line may be OK for single simple physical concepts but is complete bollox for real engineering problems which take a lot of explaining and often are not understood, even by people who should be using them IME.
In F1 motor racing the two most important parameters to get right are extremely complex to explain. Writing what they are is easy, explaining why they are important is easy, coming up with a good solution is very complex and IME very few people “get it” even in the industry. I even know several (from teams at the back of the grid) who would even contest these two.
That is why there is a gulf between winning cars and the others.

diegooo1972

Subjective review wolrd suffer from the greatest contradiction.
A world that believe in subjectivism is going to decide with subjective considerations from others.
If you think you can be subjective about something why are you going to decide with someone else considerations ?
That's more a famous guru world. Guru that ain't need to prove anything.
A religion.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Your tag line may be OK for single simple physical concepts but is complete bollox for real engineering problems which take a lot of explaining and often are not understood, even by people who should be using them IME.
In F1 motor racing the two most important parameters to get right are extremely complex to explain. Writing what they are is easy, explaining why they are important is easy, coming up with a good solution is very complex and IME very few people “get it” even in the industry. I even know several (from teams at the back of the grid) who would even contest these two.

I'm focussed on forum communications for all, not expert dissertations for the few. Experts could learn to be concise, though.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are new to the hobby it must seem an eccentric outlier since the vast majority of the Hi-Fi websites are subjective dross.
My hope is that it's the people new to the hobby who see this site early on, that get the seed of truth planted and even if they succumb to the other sites they will have the knowledge there is another way.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm focussed on forum communications for all, not expert dissertations for the few. Experts could learn to be concise, though.
Maybe but I find people on forums often ask questions their education and experience means they can not understand the answer to.
Then one has the choice of trying a simple explanation for the layman or a parable.
One of my colleagues used to have to make presentations to the government and said by the time it was simple enough for them to understand all the important points had been removed. All they really wanted to know is “will it make more money”, if it did all other issues were ignored.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Maybe but I find people on forums often ask questions their education and experience means they can not understand the answer to.
Then one has the choice of trying a simple explanation for the layman or a parable.
One of my colleagues used to have to make presentations to the government and said by the time it was simple enough for them to understand all the important points had been removed. All they really wanted to know is “will it make more money”, if it did all other issues were ignored.

Your first two sentences pose your choices. One has to be up-to the choice of response and its appropriate delivery - not always easy.

Concise statement of established norms is usually enough.

If not, then it becomes "your problem or their problem"?, and is dealt with accordingly.

I don't burden lay-people with complexity. A general explanation is usually adequate. Of course some enquirers need to be told they are not up to understanding the basics let alone more complex topics.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, when I read some of the more technical F1 stories it's clear to me the journalists don't understand the aero aspects any more than I do, which seems reasonable, but you are saying that very few of those paid to understand and design them properly understand it to. A view echoed in the following article.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/47838557

Sounds like the cost cap if it ever happens will make little impact.

firedog

Indeed, just did a quick comparison on SimilarWeb ...
The Avg. Visit Duration & Page per Visit explain a lot abt. the differences in the page quality content in comparison to ASR.
Although a little bit better, Darko Audio loses within the same performances.
View attachment 31112
View attachment 31111
This is classic misuse of statistics - because you don't give context. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Neither of those other sites have forums (or even comments sections) - so no long threads with visitors writing posts and responses. So of course they have a shorter visit duration.
Same with page views-those sites are basically intended for the visitor to read the "latest update", and come back each time the "front page" is updated. There isn't an intent for people to "walk through" multiple pages, other than possibly reading a past review. This site is designed for just such a deep dive into the material.
Compare this site to others with a similar format, and then the stats might mean something.

Last edited:

firedog

Whoever wrote that - I didn't bother to read their name - isn't a reviewer, but more of a marketeer. I have to admire their product photography, though... :p
Totally typical of the reviews all the TD products get in the audio press. Never any measurements, though.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
If this site was run as a commercial venue and not by a bright guy who does it because he can, then it would not exist. Hard to make a living without industry support, so sites like this do not happen to often.

Same thing with dp review in the early days. This takes years to get traction.

Major difference to other audio sites: It is user driven. Most samples are sent in by users. Rare exceptions are if a vendor is really confident in his product, which does not happen to often, and this is for a reason.

Would this site have existed 30 years ago I was a rich man by now, given all the money wasted for equipment of unknown quality.

Last edited:

PaulD

Which is why I pay little attention to most audiophile media. The pro audio side tends to be more objective, though. However, they won't be utilizing Totaldac equipment... :rolleyes:
You are right about that, there's no Totaldac in any studio. However some of the pro audio sites and publications have been taken over by subjectivists banging on about how "warm" analogue consoles are, or how "warm" some vintage mic is etc. The real professionals know it's rubbish but there are many inexperienced and younger professionals who are still impressionable enough to be affected by such nonsense.

Top Bottom