• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically:
1) DAC is silent with low signals so good for high sensitivity speakers. The graph on the website is true.
2) Amir's "corrected" frequency response graph hasn't been reported on page 1.
3) Noise floor changes according to ground & other parameters.
1564781465210.png

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After putting it thru Google Translate....
Snake Oil, marketing or putting out fires? Choose or select all the above.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
- Pourquoi remettre en question les mesures effectuées par ASR ?
- Parcequ'il montre que ma courbe de bruit est fausse, mais elle est vraie.
Translation:
- Why questioning measurements made by ASR?
- Because he (Amir) shows that my noise curve is wrong, but in fact, it is true...

That is a serious argument.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Basically:
1) DAC is silent with low signals so good for high sensitivity speakers. The graph on the website is true.
2) Amir's "corrected" frequency response graph hasn't been reported on page 1.
3) Noise floor changes according to ground & other parameters.
View attachment 30549

I suggest him to call Boris Johnson asking him the recipe for the potato omelette the latter pours on his head every morning ...

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Vincent answering a few questions from a member of HCFR (et j'ai aussi la flemme de traduire, too lazy now to translate :p) :

(italics : cocogex, member of HCFR, normal : Vincent)

Pourquoi mettre en avant certaines mesures (flatteuses) sur les pages des produits ?
Le spectre de bruit sur petit signaux montre le silence du DAC, un silence objectif, là on ne parle pas forcément du ressenti musical. Donc une compatibilité avec le haut rendement en particulier.
La mesure de réponse en fréquence était donné comme illustration du filtre TREBLE FIR.
Pourquoi remettre en question les mesures effectuées par ASR ?
Parce qu'il montre que ma courbe de bruit est fausse, mais elle est vraie.
Il montrait aussi que la mesure de réponse en fréquence que je montre en page "principe" était fausse. Là aussi ce n'est pas vrai, d'ailleurs il a fini par la corriger, mais pas dans sa première page.
En quoi les mesures de TotalDac sont elles plus justes que celles d'ASR ?
Je ne peux parler rigoureusement que des mesures que je montre aussi sur le site Totaldac, la réponse en fréquence et le bruit.
Pour la réponse en fréquence, il a fini par arriver à la même que la mienne.
Pour le bruit, je ne crois pas, moi c'est celle que j'obtiens ici. Le bruit change vite avec les masses et autres paramètres d'environnement.
Is this a recipe for duck á l'orange?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vincent answering a few questions from a member of HCFR (et j'ai aussi la flemme de traduire, too lazy now to translate :p) :

(italics : cocogex, member of HCFR, normal : Vincent)

Pourquoi mettre en avant certaines mesures (flatteuses) sur les pages des produits ?
Le spectre de bruit sur petit signaux montre le silence du DAC, un silence objectif, là on ne parle pas forcément du ressenti musical. Donc une compatibilité avec le haut rendement en particulier.
La mesure de réponse en fréquence était donné comme illustration du filtre TREBLE FIR.
Pourquoi remettre en question les mesures effectuées par ASR ?
Parce qu'il montre que ma courbe de bruit est fausse, mais elle est vraie.
Il montrait aussi que la mesure de réponse en fréquence que je montre en page "principe" était fausse. Là aussi ce n'est pas vrai, d'ailleurs il a fini par la corriger, mais pas dans sa première page.
En quoi les mesures de TotalDac sont elles plus justes que celles d'ASR ?
Je ne peux parler rigoureusement que des mesures que je montre aussi sur le site Totaldac, la réponse en fréquence et le bruit.
Pour la réponse en fréquence, il a fini par arriver à la même que la mienne.
Pour le bruit, je ne crois pas, moi c'est celle que j'obtiens ici. Le bruit change vite avec les masses et autres paramètres d'environnement.
When you insist contrary to the mountain of evidence presented to you that your work is not utterly incompetent, you go from being sincerely incompetent to being a fraud.

If audiophiles can't read through the bullshit and evasion in his responses, they were asking to be scammed.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, instead of protests, I hope your next post is THD+N spectrum of a 1 kHz tone as I have used in my testing. That would put to rest if my unit is broken, I don't know what I am doing, etc. accusations.

Remember this one?
Guy has three analysers and still nuthin.

diegooo1972

Now we have also "les paramètres d'environnement. "
I have to fear this sentence cause I can't immagine what will come from this in the subjectives audiophile world.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The majority of audiophiles are absolutely clueless about electronics nor could they care less.
They read and swallow everything their guru's and 'trusted reviewers' tell them.

KSTR

Major Contributor
amirm, thanks for posting this. All noise spuriae, jitter etc. are as was expected, earth noise can be eliminated as expected and these spikes are real, maybe people like @KSTR can help with an explanation.
I have no idea what's going on here and would think any other randomly selected discrete R2R NOS DAC (filterless or with proper reconstruction filter) will measure significantly better than this. Though it could well be that it sounds OK, even nice to some people, depending on the type of music. I mean, it could be that in a proper blind listening trial with all blows and whistles many listeners, even trained and skilled ones, prefer this thing over anything else ranging from the $9 apple dongle to the best "mastering grade" studio DACs available (some of which are in the $10k+ price range).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what's going on here and would think any other randomly selected discrete R2R NOS DAC (filterless or with proper reconstruction filter) will measure significantly better than this. Though it could well be that it sounds OK, even nice to some people, depending on the type of music.

Indeed, technical performance and personal preference are not necessarily linked.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
French readers read this:
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...te-et-dac/dac-baudio-bdac-bdpr-t30094480.html

A guy who bought all sorts of totaldac products finally puts a good DAC (lot cheaper) in his system and realizes it is much cleaner sounding.

Mr Vincent pops in with nonsense as usual, telling the guy wants to disrepute his company.

There's an interesting line by another poster just after:
"The intervention of Mr Vincent is not understandable; it is even ridiculous.
I didn't read anything criticizing totaldac. The guy was just telling the feelings he had with another product.
To react emotively is important but not in a thread like that, especially when one knows totaldac practices."

diegooo1972

I have no idea what's going on here and would think any other randomly selected discrete R2R NOS DAC (filterless or with proper reconstruction filter) will measure significantly better than this. Though it could well be that it sounds OK, even nice to some people, depending on the type of music.

That is correct of course but the problem born when everyone out there consider this thing the state of the art DAC 360 and come here to cathechize.
I know that it still can be great for someone but of course it's not enough from a technical point of view.
The 13k$ and cables have complicated things even more.
That is what's going on here.
Snake oil over the line.
No one like to be fooled.
Well maybe someone like it but still...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here another review in french where the guy tests the 1.750€ USB GIGAFILTER.

The cable shits its system.

http://patatorz.com/2018/05/14/test-review-retour-rapide-sur-le-totaldac-gigafilter/

1564783631169.png

We can see the cable itself feeling sorry.

This guy was more lucky though: (in english)
https://audiobacon.net/2018/05/01/totaldac-d1-usb-gigafilter-cable-review/

The Gigafilter has a distinct sound most Totaldac owners will be familiar with. It’s very relaxed, smooth, neutral-ish/warm and provides a very easy listening experience. There are an ease and tameness to the lower and upper registers while maintaining a pseudo-densely relaxed tone across the entire spectrum. The first impression that comes to mind is “relaxed liquidity” and secondly “midrange forward and fullness.” Although there is a trade for smoothness over texture, this midrange presence makes voices very full-bodied and intelligible. There is absolutely zero grain or harshness with this cable. Probably the least amount of grain and grime I’ve heard on any USB cable. Instead of being airy and tactile, it has a more “antique”, sweeter, and softer allure.

A USB cable that doesn't do the job? Yes, you got it.

Last edited:

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
French readers read this:
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...te-et-dac/dac-baudio-bdac-bdpr-t30094480.html

A guy who bought all sorts of totaldac products finally puts a good DAC (lot cheaper) in his system and realizes it is much cleaner sounding.

Mr Vincent pops in with nonsense as usual, telling the guy wants to disrepute his company.

There's an interesting line by another poster just after:
"The intervention of Mr Vincent is not understandable; it is even ridiculous.
I didn't read anything criticizing totaldac. The guy was just telling the feelings he had with another product.
To react emotively is important but not in a thread like that, especially when one knows totaldac practices."
Thank you for the link, I just read those posts. The manufacturer should be ashamed for such a nasty attack on a former long-term customer. He convicts himself with poorly measuring products and even worse by his disreputable behavior and disgusting treatment of a customer.

Top Bottom