• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Gray

Truthfully, no. I'm not sure if it is a V1, 1.5 or 2. It only has one sticker. I can adjust the filtering and certain filters are discernibly different from each other (2 and 5, for example) but the differences are liminal - this doesnt account for what I'm hearing on my unit. Maybe I got a refurb without being told it was such?

Thanks for the response. Perhaps you or someone else could shed some more light on v1.5 and how to identify it and what the differences may be.

v1.5 has some things from v1 and some things from v2. (hard to say without opening) I doubt there are made many and I suppose they just wanted to test if people still had the same issues as with V1. They also tested out various new remotes.

A V2 has 2 stickers "Hi-Res Audio" and "Hi-Res Audio Wireless", the serialnumber also starts from 1905xxx and I think they still use the old remote with the coin cell. (at least my V2 has)

JD Wolfe

v1.5 has some things from v1 and some things from v2. (hard to say without opening) I doubt there are made many and I suppose they just wanted to test if people still had the same issues as with V1. They also tested out various new remotes.

A V2 has 2 stickers "Hi-Res Audio" and "Hi-Res Audio Wireless", the serialnumber also starts from 1905xxx and I think they still use the old remote with the coin cell. (at least my V2 has)

Thanks for the information, Gray. Mine just has one "Hi-Res Audio" sticker with a serial number beginning "1904." If I were to open it what would I be looking for?

PianoDar

Does it sound like I have a bum unit or am I merely describing the DX3 Pro's sound signature? If the former, any thoughts on what the cause and/or solution might be? If the latter, anyone looking for a DX3 Pro?

I can't speak to V1, but I own a V2 and it is audibly transparent. I've listened to a lot of DACs, and DX3 matches the best of them. It has no sound signature, it sounds identical to any other highly performing DAC. If you're hearing that much difference from just a DAC, I suspect something is broken in your setup.

ceausuc

As another member has mentioned, it seems unlikely that the discrepancy in the two charts between V1 and V2 would account for the dramatic issues I'm hearing. Thank you, however, for your considerate response.

So just to recap an earlier response, I have previously tested this dac running direct into a NAIM NAP 110 that had been modded heavily by
So, to bring it all back to my initial question:

Does it sound like I have a bum unit or am I merely describing the DX3 Pro's sound signature? If the former, any thoughts on what the cause and/or solution might be? If the latter, anyone looking for a DX3 Pro?

Thanks,

J

As I understand you are using this DAC also as a "preamp"? That may be a problem since the volume control is digital and from my experience digital volume controls do have a bad impact on sound when too much attenuation is used (> -25db for me).

DX3 had/has many technical issues and it's possible that yours is somehow broken...
Or maybe you are expecting too much out of this cheap Topping DAC. I never heard it but I owned 2 Toppings: D50 and D70. Sold both and kept Khadas Tone Board :)

JD Wolfe

As I understand you are using this DAC also as a "preamp"? That may be a problem since the volume control is digital and from my experience digital volume controls do have a bad impact on sound when too much attenuation is used (> -25db for me).

DX3 had/has many technical issues and it's possible that yours is somehow broken...
Or maybe you are expecting too much out of this cheap Topping DAC. I never heard it but I owned 2 Toppings: D50 and D70. Sold both and kept Khadas Tone Board :)

I typically dont use it is as preamp, and just a line level out to a preamp, but to appease my own curiosity (and others) I have run it out direct to various power amps to limit the signal chain and test. Either way, the sound is unpleasant.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
The amount of DX3 Pro failures and problems reported here, even with the new 19xx revisions, is startling. I was considering getting one, but now I'm not so sure. I was also thinking the DX7 Pro, but I don't want to pay 3 times as much for extra power and slightly better measurements if I don't have to. At this point I may still save up for the RME-ADI-2 DAC since Topping is clearly still having issues.

heyagod

1905 onwards (v2/LDAC) seems to have solved reliability issues at the expense of headphone amp performance, at least from what I see. No complains from 1905+ owners

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Apologies if this has already been answered but will the 1st version of DX3 ever get LDAC compatibility through firmware update?
When I mailed Topping directly with this question, they replied that it's not possible to add the functionality via a firmware upgrade because there is a new hardward component that provides the LDAC functionality. But for $20 and paying the cost of shipping to them and back plus customs, that can retrofit the device to have LDAC functionality., but this isn't really feasible given the initial cost of the DAC and risk involved, so I didn't pursue it.
topping.PNG

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Hi,

I've had a DX3 Pro (I believe it's a v2; has the new remote) since July. I picked up the DX3 Pro based on Amir's review (which I later learned, was on an earlier version than mine). I've run about 500hrs on it.

Signal Chain: JRiver (Mac Dual Boot with Windows) > USB to DX3 Pro > Museatex AVC Preamp > Meitner Power Amp > NHT Super Ones

This DAC drives me nuts.

Quite revealing (of certain frequencies) but dry and harsh on the top end with thin low-mids. No boogie in the bass. Anyone familiar with the monstrously huge bass on Steely Dan's "Morph the Cat" knows how it should effectively crush the listener with Freddie Washington's bass line (on the DX3 Pro it's taps you on the shoulder). When I listen to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" the bass is so anemic it's depressing. I can only stand to listen to the DX3 Pro at low volume as the sibilance gets irritatingly edgy and anxiously insistent. I have A/B tested the Oppo UDP-205 (dual ES9038PRO) for comparison and can verify that, other than the DX3 Pro, my signal chain - though unexceptional - is just fine.

So based on the above I have a few questions:
What is with the DX3 Pro V2?
Was the V1 that much better?
Based on what I've described does it sound like I have a bum unit?
Is there a fix for my unit?
Does anyone here have a suggestion for a better DAC/Headamp option (i.e., does anyone have experience with the Sabaj D5 or SMSL M500, while being familiar with the sonic characteristics of the DX3 Pro v2 as comparison)?

Curious to hear from anyone who may have insights on any of my questions or have had similar experiences.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

JD
I have a DX3 Pro plus some other stuff, and I haven't had any of these issues. It sounds to me that you're either daisy chaining stuff together that's creating a Frankenstein and weird sounding system, or you're one of those people that likes to be unique and special in that only you can hear and notice certain things, but the people around you don't care to tell you that it's all in your head.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
As another member has mentioned, it seems unlikely that the discrepancy in the two charts between V1 and V2 would account for the dramatic issues I'm hearing. Thank you, however, for your considerate response.

On the DX3 Pro, the stage became almost incoherent, the low-mids were recessed and the highs were very abrasive. What I've found with this DAC is, you can get an adequate high-bass/low-mid experience if you crank it, but the consequence of that are highs that sound not unlike crystal shattering (constantly) and bowel loosening sub-bass. When I say "adequate" low-mids, I mean 'passable,' but far from enjoyable.

J
You're hearing ghosts bud. I suggest you stop indulging in delusions that the DAC is coloring the sound in fantastical ways.

patient_ot

Decided to try a current production model from Apos. Will update if I run into issues. If I do, I'll likely try a different model.

D

Deleted member 3718

So my DX3 Pro v1 failed some days ago after 9 months of daily use. I emailed Topping about sending the unit in for repair or if they could tell me what parts to replace to repair it since I'm capable of doing that myself. They said they will send me a DX3 Pro v2 completely free of charge. It will be silver instead of black but I don't mind. I am quite surprised and of course very happy. I just hope it arrives safely. I will still make an attempt at repairing the V1.

patient_ot

Would anyone tell me how long the AC adapter cord is for the DX3 Pro current version? Trying to figure out if I might need a longer one. Thanks.

Top Bottom