• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Toku

Major Contributor
I know that coaxial is a digital electrical signal and toslink is an optical digital signal, and that they are different connectors. What I am asking is the bits and the frequency.
The COAX connection transmits the electrical signal directly, but the optical connection converts the electrical signal into an optical signal on the transmitting side, passes it through the optical fiber, and returns it to the original electrical signal with the optical sensor on the receiving side. This is the only mechanism.
The signal transmission standard is the same for both electrical and optical signals, except for the difference in the medium that transmits the signal.

Nicosea

The COAX connection transmits the electrical signal directly, but the optical connection converts the electrical signal into an optical signal on the transmitting side, passes it through the optical fiber, and returns it to the original electrical signal with the optical sensor on the receiving side. This is the only mechanism.
The signal transmission standard is the same for both electrical and optical signals, except for the difference in the medium that transmits the signal.
thank you for the detailed explanation, I understand that, but when electrical signal is converted to optical it might change bits depth and frequency (most likely lowering both).
For example, when I see the specs of the Onkyo 9010 amplifier, I can read clearly the following:
  • Coaxial Supports Sampling Rates Up to 192 kHz/24-bit (Optical 96 kHz/24-bit)
So my question is again what sample rates support the DX3 Pro coaxial and that the optical?

Veri

Master Contributor
thank you for the detailed explanation, I understand that, but when electrical signal is converted to optical it might change bits depth and frequency (most likely lowering both).
Definitely not. S/pdif is a digital format, it will either work or it won't. If the source and end device support your desired rate and the cable has enough throughput it will work. It any of those fails, it will not. Simple as that.

It will not change the data stream...

Toku

Major Contributor
So my question is again what sample rates support the DX3 Pro coaxial and that the optical?
Topping DX3 Pro LDAC supports Coaxial and Optical up to 24bit/192kHz by AK4118 chip.

Last edited:

cenix

I'm also facing similar issues and just wanted to chime in. Listening on my LCD-2 Classic, without EQ, I found myself at around -20 to -10dB depending on the song. (This is with +9 dB gain because I could not discern enough of a difference in the sound to make a difference and something about seeing the volume at close to 0 dB bothered me). However, once I began using EQ, thus having to lower the sound on my source, I quickly ended up with the DX3 Pro at -6 to 0 dB (again with +9 dB gain).

The 2 Classics are around 101db/mW SPL, while the HD-25's are much, much louder at 109db/mW SPL, so that explains why @Gray find the HD-25's comfortable at a much lower volume. However the HD 558's are almost 10db less sensitive at 99db/mW SPL, so I am completely baffled at how he manages to find them sounding similar at the same volume he is using for the HD-25. If it was a unit difference in that his unit is louder, this still physically wouldn't make sense, and although he stated his hearing is damaged, he seems perfectly capable of discerning between quiet and loud, so I'm still very perplexed.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

I have returned mine. Either my unit was defective, or the DX3 is simply not very powerful (in my opinion). As said before, even my LG V30 manages to have better output performance when triggering the "high impedance mode", compared to the DX3. I also found that my V30 sounded better as well, more crisp compared to the DX3's +9 gain mode.

Since I still had the chance to return my unit, I did it. I am going for something that leaves me with more buffer for possible upgrades that might require it. So, I am thinking about going for the Schiit Modi 3 or Topping D3 + ATOM amp. Others have said that I could simply add an ATOM amp on top of the DX3 later on if I wanted to. But this would cost me about €80-90(difference in pricing between DX3 and D3) more, so I don't see a point in doing that.

Good luck with your unit :)

Last edited:

g_t_j

Apologies if this has already been answered but will the 1st version of DX3 ever get LDAC compatibility through firmware update?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Apologies if this has already been answered but will the 1st version of DX3 ever get LDAC compatibility through firmware update?

The Topping DX3 Pro is up on Drop for USD $180:
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-version-2-dac-amp

It's listed as "LDAC v2". As far as I can tell this has the same hardware / setup as the "v1" DX3 Pro:
  • XMOS XU208 USB chip
  • dual AK4493 DACs
  • OPA1612 op amp
  • AK4118 receiver
So it would appear the only difference is the addition of LDAC? If so then it should measure the same as what Amir tested here.

g_t_j

Yep, I know. I already have the original version and am very happy with it.
Mine definitely doesn't have LDAC. However, I'd be greatful if it could be added somehow.

heyagod

@g_t_j They don't plan to do so, refer to this link where someone got a reply from their support team:
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-version-2-dac-amp/talk/2489036

@RickSanchez Actually no, it's significantly different in Headphone Amp as they changed to a TPA6120A2, which is the usual Topping uses I think, and it is bad for IEMs and low (load) impedance headphones because its Output Impedance is 10 ohms.

Moreover they had some other changes in circuit design, which we have no idea how much it impacted the Line Out performance (graphs provided by Topping seem dubious because they changed the variables/scale used to avoid easy direct comparison).
Also @amirm hasn't done a review of the V2 unit like he did for SMSL SU-8 V2, which is very curious indeed... Well probably because in the case of SMSL SU-8, V2 was a big improvement, while for DX3 Pro V2 the performance definitely dropped especially in headphone amp performance, so @amirm probably doesn't wanna anger his Topping affliates.

Attached Topping's official measurements V1 and V2 graphs for reference, renaming was done by me, correct me if I made any mistake

Attachments

• Headphone THD+N ratio v1.jpg
    Headphone THD+N ratio v1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Headphone THD+N ratio v2.jpg
    Headphone THD+N ratio v2.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 244
  • LineOut FR v1.jpg
    LineOut FR v1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 236
  • LineOut FR v2.jpg
    LineOut FR v2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 255
  • LineOut THD+N ratio v1.jpg
    LineOut THD+N ratio v1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 237
  • LineOut THD+N ratio v2.jpg
    LineOut THD+N ratio v2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

g_t_j

@g_t_j They don't plan to do so, refer to this link where someone got a reply from their support team:
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-version-2-dac-amp/talk/2489036

A big shame! I know they could easily do it f they wanted.
I'm aware of at least 2 devices that had LDAC implemented in the process through firmware updates - the Earstudio ES100 and the Hiby R3.

All modern day BT chips (5.0 and afterwards)are capable of receiving the codec. They just need to be programmed and get the certification officially.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm Any plans to measure the V2, I went with NX4DSD because of high output impedance

o2so

Forum Donor
Dear @amirm , I am trying to figure out if there would be limitations in using any of the Topping DACs as a preamp, as in if controlling the volume digitally means it will strip bits off the signal hence decreasing bit resolution, expecially at low volumes. Do you know if this is the case and/or do your measurements allow to extrapolate the extent to which this may affect sound quality?

I did ask Topping but had the following response (!):

"Dear xxx

Thank you for your inquiry!

The volume control is basing on DAC chip's function. For we are not certain what method the DAC chip use to control, I'm not able to answer your question. Sorry!"

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Last edited:

lucadoc

Hello, I changed pc from a Win7 tower to a Win10 laptop and I cannot setup the USB driver in the right manner.

I tried to download the driver from Topping site but it is not available.

Could someone put a link to a downloadable file please?

PS: I use MusicBee and Foobar but i'm facing a lot of problems with flac an dsd, on my previous old pc all was fine :(

Top Bottom