• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Ah yes, I should have edited my post and clarified when I found out about it. Sorry about that.

I have bought the DX3 from Amazon (as well as Tin Hifi P1), hope it's a good unit. After reading this thread, it seems to be hit and miss kind of thing.

You guys convinced me, thanks for all the advice. :)

I also bought my DX3 from Amazon (1904 series). Amazon is big decency; I'd be a bit worried buying from Drop where they sell and pass the customer onto the manufacturer if anything goes wrong.

Very happy with the unit, not even a hint of any issues (knock on wood). Best device on the whole market for the quality and functionality that it delivers in my opinion.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
V1 has better(lower) output impedance though. Idk V1 is definitely not bad.

I'm going all the way to the end with my V1

riannucci

Forum Donor
Hey all!

(First off... This site is amazing. So much "magic" in audio gear, it's nice to see a bit of objectivity :))

So I just ordered a DX3 Pro ("with LDAC", so nominally v2) from Amazon (sold by Shenzhen Audio, fulfilled by Amazon. I'm in California, USA so who knows what stock it'll come from or what version I'll actually get).

However, I ordered it based on the review of the v1, so now I'm worried about a bait and switch :/. I'm planning to mostly use it for hd650's and for line out though, so at least on paper that should be OK (assuming I set the secret Option 7, I think?). I'm guessing the apparently increased output impedance shouldn't matter as much for 300ohm headphones?

If there's a way to at least clarify at the top of the original post that there are multiple potentially different HW revisions floating about, that might help other folks too :). Especially since the dx3 pro is used as a benchmark comparison for so many other reviews too (and why not? The v1 numbers look great :))

Jestercow

using mine as dac-only with my 789, as I preferred the sound to the SU-8 v2. Whether it was placebo or not, the SU-8 sounded cold and lifeless to me and I much preferred the sound of the DX3 every time.

riannucci

Forum Donor
I would rather use v2 myself with HD650 just for the peace of mind to protect my headphones.

FWIW, I got mine over the weekend (v2) and it drives the HD650 just fine (and sounds great, so any performance issues are below my threshold of detection :)). I put it in high gain (+9db) mode to have a bit of headroom on the volume control (I run it at between -15 and -7db depending on the situation). No audible clipping even at the highest volume, which is QUITE LOUD, so there's definitely PLENTY of juice. I haven't tried it with lower impedance devices yet (I have some 60ohm headphones I like, as well as some 30ohm IEMs).

Line out seems to be great (set Option 7 to have line-out be dac-only); haven't detected an issue with excessive heat, though the unit does get warmer than room temp, but nothing that seems remarkable. Going to use it more extensively this week and I'll report back if I notice any overheating issues with extensive use.

I'd still be curious to see what measurable differences there are between v1 and v2, but at this point it's definitely just curiosity; I'm happy with this purchase :)

SoBu

EDIT 3: To deal with some of the reliability issues, Topping has revised the unit with a different output IC and an inline resistor. How much these impact measurements, I don't know. This version is called "V2" although I am not sure it is indicated such in online sites.
The "V2" is officially named DX3 Pro LDAC whereas the previous version are called DX3 Pro. I got the names from Topping's website which is what I've also seen all sellers calling the new LDAC version in their listings.
But as we have seen, you could end up with a "V2" when you buy a "V1".

slazyel

Guys, this new version, the V2 LDAC, is not good for 32ohm headphones like a Takstar HF 580? If not, which Desktop Dac/Amp Combo would be a nice replace for 32ohm headphones?

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys, this new version, the V2 LDAC, is not good for 32ohm headphones like a Takstar HF 580? If not, which Desktop Dac/Amp Combo would be a nice replace for 32ohm headphones?
Atom + standalone DAC. Or the Sabaj D5 is on sale right now for an attractive price...

slazyel

Atom + standalone DAC. Or the Sabaj D5 is on sale right now for an attractive price...
D5 looks incredible but it's still expensive :/. Sadly where i live the Atom + shipping turns inviable. I really am limited to aliexpress. DX3 Pro would be perfect for $170 but that output impedance for 32 ohm headphones is a deal breaker :/

Veri

Master Contributor
D5 looks incredible but it's still expensive :/. Sadly where i live the Atom + shipping turns inviable. I really am limited to aliexpress. DX3 Pro would be perfect for $170 but that output impedance for 32 ohm headphones is a deal breaker :/
If you want the same type of product but with lower impedance out, the new Fiio looks like just what you need and is on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000122939110.html

It officially released few days ago so no user experience to be found online so far. It looks very good, though.

Last edited:

thomasjast

If you want the same type of product but with lower impedance out, the new Fiio looks like just what you need and is on aliexpress:

It officially released few days ago so no user experience to be found online so far. It looks very good, though.

This looks and sounds really good. Gotta see the measurements on this...

slazyel

Sadly Fiio does not ship to Brazil, oh god.
I was taking a look at Sabaj Da3, Topping NX4 DSD, Topping MX3, Alientek D8 and even Aune X1S Pro (can get for $215), but it looks like the DX3 Pro is still the better value. Would the DX3 Pro V2 be that much bad for a 32 ohm headphone compared to the others?

sajunky

This look very impressive. The only things holds down is overblown HP amp. It must be tested independently first. It may even sound worse than the same chip on the Topping, not only on the high impedance headphones, but most others.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

thomasjast

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Oh... what the hell? I thought this thing was brand new and from the future. Suppose not! Thanks for that!

Edit: Wait, K5 PRO vs. K5 regular? Is that right?

Edit 2: Yes, right, predecessor. I clearly don't know how to read.
Looking at the specification the pro has a dac, the regular not. From what i see the amp section is the same.

Jimmy

The HF 580 is a planar magnetic headphone, so output impedance shouldn't matter (flat imp. curve), besides that, 10 ohm is not that much, so unless you are using iems I doubt you will notice anything.

Top Bottom