• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

cenix

Just received it. Switched it on and attached everything. On USB mode with headphone amp. It barely outputs any volume. Either the unit is defective or I must be doing something wrong. Something I forgot to install perhaps? I even tried +9 gain mode, still very quiet.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Just received it. Switched it on and attached everything. On USB mode with headphone amp. It barely outputs any volume. Either the unit is defective or I must be doing something wrong. Something I forgot to install perhaps? I even tried +9 gain mode, still very quiet.
Have you checked that all the volume settings on your computer are set to 100%?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I remember having a similar issue with a dac, turned out to be the headphone jack not completely pushed in.

thomasjast

Maybe your cable or plug is TRRS instead of TRS? I have an extension plug that has to be in 90% instead of 100% or it cuts it that quiet.

cenix

Have you checked that all the volume settings on your computer are set to 100%?

Yes, everything else on Windows is on 100%

I remember having a similar issue with a dac, turned out to be the headphone jack not completely pushed in.

Nope, I made sure it's properly in.

Maybe your cable or plug is TRRS instead of TRS? I have an extension plug that has to be in 90% instead of 100% or it cuts it that quiet.

Nope, just regular TRS plugs.

Thanks for your replies. I made sure that everything on Windows has max output, so that the volume is dictated by the DAC+AMP. Just weird.

Btw, any way I can have the volume count 0 - 100 instead of -99 - 0?

Also I should not set it to high gain unless the max volume under low gain is not enough, is that right? It has issues driving the Tin P1 under low gain.

Last edited:

josiah

I just wanted to comment that I purchased a DX3 Pro from amazon based on all the recommendations. I also wanted to compare a true audio grade device to my GSX1000. Within a week mine died with minimum usage, and Amazon just refunded me even though I asked for a replacement at the cheaper price. I just took it as a sign to move on to something else. I recommend anyone that buys this product uses a credit card with an extended warranty, or purchases a third party warranty. I guess this is more of a PSA announcement than anything.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
I just wanted to comment that I purchased a DX3 Pro from amazon based on all the recommendations. I also wanted to compare a true audio grade device to my GSX1000. Within a week mine died with minimum usage, and Amazon just refunded me even though I asked for a replacement at the cheaper price. I just took it as a sign to move on to something else. I recommend anyone that buys this product uses a credit card with an extended warranty, or purchases a third party warranty. I guess this is more of a PSA announcement than anything.
Was it a V2 unit as it had 2 stickers on top of it instead of 1?

Gray

you installed the topping driver and WASAPI?
You tried using Foobar2000? Here's a tutorial to setup I found.
Is it the heaphone output, the DAC output or both?

2ko

I just received mine today too. I am having the same issue, the volume is very quite. I set the volume to -50dB in low gain driving the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones I can barely hear the sound. With the same headphone on SMSL M3, I only need to set the volume nob to 9 o'clock and it is LOUD enough.

Last edited:

Gray

I generally put it around 45 to 35, -30 is already loud.
everything higher than -30dB will cause hearing damage in the long run.
(HD25)

Reactions: 2ko

Hyldig

-30 to -20 here to drive Massdrop/Sennheiser HD 5xx with enjoyable volume (gain mode not activated).

pacman

I guess the volume depends on variables like headphones sensitivity, musical taste, mastering you're listening to and, of course, your own auditive sensibility.

"Modern" music (like rock-pop-electro) from 1995 and above tends to be very loud and compressed and requires less volume compared to older recordings.

With Senn 660 S I listen to modern music on range of -25db to -18db on low gain and it's pretty loud.

With some old records (mostly classical, MPB and jazz stuff), I need to raise the volume up to -10db to achieve good listening experience.

A good example of modern record poorly mastered is Amy Winehouse's "Back to black". The CD is awfully clipped while the Island Records "half-speed mastered" vinyl is more dynamic and quieter and therefore more comfortable to listen to even at high volume.

2ko

I guess the volume depends on variables like headphones sensitivity, musical taste, mastering you're listening to and, of course, your own auditive sensibility.

"Modern" music (like rock-pop-electro) from 1995 and above tends to be very loud and compressed and requires less volume compared to older recordings.

With Senn 660 S I listen to modern music on range of -25db to -18db on low gain and it's pretty loud.

With some old records (mostly classical, MPB and jazz stuff), I need to raise the volume up to -10db to achieve good listening experience.

A good example of modern record poorly mastered is Amy Winehouse's "Back to black". The CD is awfully clipped while the Island Records "half-speed mastered" vinyl is more dynamic and quieter and therefore more comfortable to listen to even at high volume.
I see your point. One thing I'm confused about is when SMSL M3 can drive Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee pretty LOUD at 9 o'clock volume nob but why do I need to push the volume up to -30dB with DX3 Pro to hear the same level of loudness as M3?

pacman

I see your point. One thing I'm confused about is when SMSL M3 can drive Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee pretty LOUD at 9 o'clock volume nob but why do I need to push the volume up to -30dB with DX3 Pro to hear the same level of loudness as M3?
It appears that M3 uses an analogue potentiometer to handle volume, while DX3Pro uses digital. I guess it's different ways of volume handling that can't be compared directly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom