• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF Converter

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am caught between people asking for its review and others saying they hate seeing so much Schiit! :D

I am thinking of doing a three-way review of Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber and Modi 2 Multibit. Assuming there are no objections to that :), I will get it out in the next week or two.
I'm looking forward to this three-way review. I'm particularly interested in the Modi 2 Multibit, as I recently picked up a used one to compare subjectively against my ODAC.

ricx

Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

That DAC doesn't have a USB input. So I don't think it is that useful. Is there a reason you are interested in it?

It is true. No problem! It was just curiosity. Thanks for the quick response. I loved this web site.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow...

It never occurred to me that we could include emojis in links...

1527635220715.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Griftco

Hi all. I recently received my Topping D-10 DAC. Love it! Only problem is my MacBook won’t see it unless I use the supplied 4’ USB2 cable. I tried a 10’ USB2 cable—nothing. Figured it was a bad cable, so I ordered another—still nothing. Anyone else run across this? Unfortunately I don’t have another USB2 device to test the cables on. Thanks for any help—Paul

In my review of Topping D10 DAC, I was asked how well the D10 does as a USB to S/PDIF (and Toslink) converter since it has those outputs. I thought I make this review and measurement its own topic.

Timbo2

Hi all. I recently received my Topping D-10 DAC. Love it! Only problem is my MacBook won’t see it unless I use the supplied 4’ USB2 cable. I tried a 10’ USB2 cable—nothing. Figured it was a bad cable, so I ordered another—still nothing. Anyone else run across this? Unfortunately I don’t have another USB2 device to test the cables on. Thanks for any help—Paul

You are probably better off asking in the main D10 thread here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/page-41#post-97662

That said 10 feet can be on the limits of what a passive USB can handle. If you can get by with a shorter cable that may be your best bet.

For example, I have a cheap Amazon basics 10 ft extension cable that works better than some supposedly heavy gauge cable of the same length with one of my DACs.

If you need that kind of length you may want to try an active USB extension. I don’t have any experience with them however.

Dana reed

I am caught between people asking for its review and others saying they hate seeing so much Schiit! :D

I am thinking of doing a three-way review of Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber and Modi 2 Multibit. Assuming there are no objections to that :), I will get it out in the next week or two.
would be interesting to me, as I own all three of those and can scarcely tell a difference between them as long as I use a hub between the source and the USB input (which, given that there is a clear increase in THD etc in the multibit, tells you something about my hearing and/or music listened to)
When comparing for instance modi2 and modi2 uber, it would be of interest to see head to head USB results with and without something like ISO regen or some other hub to isolate the power issues, and then to the results on SPDIF input.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
would be interesting to me, as I own all three of those and can scarcely tell a difference between them as long as I use a hub between the source and the USB input (which, given that there is a clear increase in THD etc in the multibit, tells you something about my hearing and/or music listened to)
When comparing for instance modi2 and modi2 uber, it would be of interest to see head to head USB results with and without something like ISO regen or some other hub to isolate the power issues, and then to the results on SPDIF input.
I still plan to do tht review. On ISO regen, I have done that test with Modi before. See: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...regen-review-and-measurements.1829/post-46217

Dana reed

I still plan to do tht review. On ISO regen, I have done that test with Modi before. See: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...regen-review-and-measurements.1829/post-46217
Yep I saw that one, but would be good to see the cleaned USB input vs the coax overlaid for both the Uber and multibit.

Also as an aside I now have a gugnir multibit and a dx7s and will be doing some double blind tests with my Magnepans and a passive balanced pre. Since both have 4 V output they should be fairly well level matched, so I’ll post up the results of several songs/people to see if anyone can tell them apart and which if any is preferred

Dana reed

That would be very good!
Just an update, I have both the DX7s and Gugnir multibit connected to a passive preamp on separate inputs. First glance, the DX7s seems to have a ~3dB higher output level even though both are nominially 4V full output. I don't think it's the cables causing this but I do have the Gugnir output split to both the preamp and to a Jotunheim. Generally I haven't found splitting the line outs to cause any drop in level. I'll switch the cables around and see if the Topping continues to have higher output. If it does, I will plan to use it in DAC+HP mode so I can drop the DAC output by 3 dB to match the Gugnir.
Then I will play USB output simultaneously to both DACs from a Mac Mini, and use the passive preamp to have someone A/B the DACs for me through the Magnepans. Will probably be about a week or so before I get an idea whether I can tell them apart blind, and if so, whether I prefer one over the other in each test.
Anyone have any ideas on songs to play that will make the difference more obvious?

Top Bottom