• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF Converter

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only ones I have tested which are very clean and safer are from Sbooster: https://www.sbooster.com/

But they are not cheap.

That means you can implement your own good power by getting a USB cable that separates USB power and feed that with a clean linear power supply. That would probably cost $30 or 1/10th the price of ISO Regen.

So none that fit the $30 solution indicated in the powered USB cable post ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So none that fit the $30 solution indicated in the powered USB cable post ?
Oh, there are plenty but I just have not tested them. Again, I don't think you will see any benefit there.

blueninjasix

Help please.
I'm using my D10 as a USB to S/PDIF interface via the toslink optical output into my Chord Qutest dac.
It works perfectly up to 24bit/96kHz but no further.
I suspect that my optical cable is faulty as it is specified to work at 24/192.
The manufacturer is making me jump through hoops to prove that my source is Topping D10 is capable of 24/192 on the optical output. They say that the Topping spec sheet is ambiguous in that it says 24/192 can be output but that could mean that the coaxial socket can do 24/192 but maybe the optical socket cannot!
I've sent an email to Topping asking for clarification but not yet received a reply.
I also note that some users on this forum have mentioned that they have successfully used the toslink to transmit at 24/192 but can anyone confirm this?
My cable is a QED Reference Quartz Optical glass which was not cheap.

perrycucko

Help please.
I'm using my D10 as a USB to S/PDIF interface via the toslink optical output into my Chord Qutest dac.
The manufacturer is making me jump through hoops to prove that my source is Topping D10 is capable of 24/192 on the optical output. They say that the Topping spec sheet is ambiguous in that it says 24/192 can be output but that could mean that the coaxial socket can do 24/192 but maybe the optical socket cannot!
I've sent an email to Topping asking for clarification but not yet received a reply.
I also note that some users on this forum have mentioned that they have successfully used the toslink to transmit at 24/192 but can anyone confirm this?
Just to make sure. Did you set your output to 24/192 from your Windows Sound settings ?

Veri

Master Contributor
Help please.
The higher material you feed your Chord won't that lessen Chord's high tap filter's effect? Do you actually need to feed it 192Khz?
Just wondering.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Help please.

IIRC I tried it and Topping D10 indeed supports 24/192 over optical SPDIF but it seems your Qutest doesn't:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest/

Connectivity (input): USB Type B (White): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit

2x BNC Coax (Red): 44.1kHz – 384kHz – 16bit to 32bit

1x Dual data mode input (using both BNC coax inputs together): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit

Optical (Green): 44.1kHz to 96kHz – 16bit to 24bit

blueninjasix

Just to make sure. Did you set your output to 24/192 from your Windows Sound settings ?
Yes I use Foobar which gives me the option to select Topping's ASIO driver or WASAPI which as I understand it, both bypass the W10 sound mixer which is set to 24/192 anyway.

blueninjasix

The higher material you feed your Chord won't that lessen Chord's high tap filter's effect? Do you actually need to feed it 192Khz?
Just wondering.
Yes that maybe true but I would like to be able to make the comparison and hear any difference for myself. Also I wonder if the cable is faulty at 24/192 then it might not be perfect at 16/44.1 either. I want to be sure as it was an expensive cable with a Lifetime guarantee.

blueninjasix

I've
IIRC I tried it and Topping D10 indeed supports 24/192 over optical SPDIF but it seems your Qutest doesn't:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest/

Connectivity (input): USB Type B (White): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit

2x BNC Coax (Red): 44.1kHz – 384kHz – 16bit to 32bit

1x Dual data mode input (using both BNC coax inputs together): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit

Optical (Green): 44.1kHz to 96kHz – 16bit to 24bit
I've had an in-depth reply from Chord about this as there appears to be an error in their spec sheets. Rob Watts, the designer himself has confirmed that it is capable of 24/192

Krunok

Major Contributor
I've

I've had an in-depth reply from Chord about this as there appears to be an error in their spec sheets. Rob Watts, the designer himself has confirmed that it is capable of 24/192

Well, it's pretty much never about the cable. With some DACs 24/192 works with some doesn't, but most often DACs won't accept 24/192 input over the optical input.

It pretty much always works over the coax - in your case you would need a cable like this.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes I use Foobar which gives me the option to select Topping's ASIO driver or WASAPI which as I understand it, both bypass the W10 sound mixer which is set to 24/192 anyway.

That is correct, ASIO and WASAPI exclusive bypass W10 sound mixer so this setting is irrelevant.

blueninjasix

Well, it's pretty much never about the cable. With some DACs 24/192 works with some doesn't, but most often DAC won't accept 24/192 input over the optical input.

It pretty much always works over the coax - in your case you would need a cable like this.
I've already tested it successfully over the coaxial cable and can confirm that it does indeed work at higher sample rates like 32/192. But I would still like to get the optical connections working at 24/192 as there's less RFI noise.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I've already tested it successfully over the coaxial cable and can confirm that it does indeed work at higher sample rates like 32/192. But I would still like to get the optical connections working at 24/192 as there's less RFI noise.

Main benefit of the optical connection isn't RFI noise (most coax cables are shielded well enough) but avoidance of ground loops.

blueninjasix

Main benefit of the optical connection isn't RFI noise (most coax cables are shielded well enough) but avoidance of ground loops.
If I wanted just to get the highest possible sample rates, I could bypass the D10 altogether and go straight from pc to Qutest via USB. The whole point of the D10 in my system is to get optical input into the Qutest as my pc motherboard doesn't have an optical port.
Here's a quote from Rob Watts at the launch of the Mojo as to why he prefers the optical input and it's all about RF noise.

I am getting rather different sound from coax and USB inputs with the latter sounding better, what’s the reason for this?

It’s complicated and depends upon a number of factors - principally the amount of RF noise injected into the Mojo, and the amount of correlated noise that gets in. It will depend upon the source device as to which sounds best. My preference is optical, as this has the smoothest sound quality and best depth, as it does not suffer from both of the aforementioned problems.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If I wanted just to get the highest possible sample rates, I could bypass the D10 altogether and go straight from pc to Qutest via USB. The whole point of the D10 in my system is to get optical input into the Qutest as my pc motherboard doesn't have an optical port.
Here's a quote from Rob Watts at the launch of the Mojo as to why he prefers the optical input and it's all about RF noise.

I am getting rather different sound from coax and USB inputs with the latter sounding better, what’s the reason for this?
It’s complicated and depends upon a number of factors - principally the amount of RF noise injected into the Mojo, and the amount of correlated noise that gets in. It will depend upon the source device as to which sounds best. My preference is optical, as this has the smoothest sound quality and best depth, as it does not suffer from both of the aforementioned problems.

Frankly, I am not buying that. IMO all digital inputs (USB, coax, optical) sound exactly the same and are totally transparent to our ears. That has also been proven on numerous occasions by measurements published here.

The only thing you can say for sure is that with optical input you will avoid ground loops and it is very easy to hear if you have problem with ground loop.

blueninjasix

Frankly, I am not buying that. IMO all digital inputs (USB, coax, optical) sound exactly the same and are totally transparent to our ears. That has also been proven on numerous occasions by measurements published here.

The only thing you can say for sure is that with optical input you will avoid ground loops and it is very easy to hear if you have problem with ground loop.
Now I know that I cannot trust your opinion as I can definitely hear a difference between USB and Optical inputs on my Chord Qutest, even at 16/44.1

Veri

Master Contributor
Now I know that I cannot trust your opinion as I can definitely hear a difference between USB and Optical inputs on my Chord Qutest, even at 16/44.1

So, did you do any actually controlled testing? ;)

Krunok

Major Contributor

If that is the case then only 2 options are possible: either one of the interfaces is seriously damaged or you are doing a sighted and not a blind test.

Third option would be that you are the only person in the world that can hear such difference but I somehow doubt that.

Top Bottom