• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF Converter

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you need that kind of length you may want to try an active USB extension. I don’t have any experience with them however.

I tried connecting D10 with 5m USB extension cable. It worked fine but max PCM bitrate was reduced to 96kHz.

It should work fine with 10' cable as well.

Timbo2

I tried connecting D10 with 5m USB extension cable. It worked fine but max PCM bitrate was reduced to 96kHz.

It should work fine with 10' cable as well.

Interesting. I have 3 meter extension and no issues and all bit rates.I do have issues with the (unlabeled) Topping provided cable providing an intermittent connection to the D10 if you move the device. With a labeled USB cable that I had around the house I have a rock solid connection. So I can recommend the D10, but not the cord it comes with. ;)

Krunok

Major Contributor
With a labeled USB cable that I had around the house I have a rock solid connection. So I can recommend the D10, but not the cord it comes with. ;)

Absolutely, the supplied cable is cheap stuff and should be avoided - $10 cable from local store should do just fine.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Interesting. I have 3 meter extension and no issues and all bit rates.I do have issues with the (unlabeled) Topping provided cable providing an intermittent connection to the D10 if you move the device. With a labeled USB cable that I had around the house I have a rock solid connection. So I can recommend the D10, but not the cord it comes with. ;)

Checked again and it turns out it was a 10m extension cable.

tensor9

Forum Donor
I'm thinking about getting the D10 for the very purpose of using it as a USB to TOSLINK converter. Of course I don't need the DAC, but with a good toslink cable, can this thing handle 24/192 and DSD64 over toslink?

Deku

I'm thinking about getting the D10 for the very purpose of using it as a USB to TOSLINK converter. Of course I don't need the DAC, but with a good toslink cable, can this thing handle 24/192 and DSD64 over toslink?
I just picked up a D10 yesterday and can report it will pass a native 24/192 track TOSLINK OUT to my SMSL SU-8 via a BJC optical cable, both of which confirm the desired 192kHz sample rate on their displays. However, DSD64 (achieved via upsampling & DoP with Audirvana for Mac) did not reach the SU-8, which displayed "no sig".

D

Deleted member 9286

I just picked up a D10 yesterday and can report it will pass a native 24/192 track TOSLINK OUT to my SMSL SU-8 via a BJC optical cable, both of which confirm the desired 192kHz sample rate on their displays. However, DSD64 (achieved via upsampling & DoP with Audirvana for Mac) did not reach the SU-8, which displayed "no sig".

I have found the same. Could this in any way indicate that the D10 as a USB to SP/DIF Converter is not doing but perfect conversion via optical? The basic advice I have always received in the past has always been that if a USB to SP/DIF converter cannot do DSD64 via DoP then it must be messing with the bits in some way, due to the nature of DSD.

It’s odd as it initially displays 176kHz as you would expect, then switches to 2.82DSD.

I have also had very cheap converters that use the same XMOS chip that can pass the DOP test via optical.

Has anyone tested if the D10 outputs a bit perfect conversion for PCM?

I actually really like it as a converter, but am worried now that it may not be bit perfect. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 9286

In case it is helpful to others, I contacted Topping about this and they said although the XMOS XU208 can do DoP, theirs is an early implementation and so cannot.

D

Deleted member 9286

Yes, compatible.
Give it a try!

Thanks @guenthi_r

My D10 is connected to what I believe is a Linux based streamer (Auralic Aries Mini). That would not require any drivers would it? Or is this a DX3 firmware update? Sorry, I’m quite new to all this.

Thanks

perrycucko

Recently purchased this item to use as a USB to SPDIF so that I can connect my Softone Model2 Tube DAC to a Mac Mini through the D10. I could also use the mini-toslink out on Mac Mini itself but i thought D10 would be a better choice for this. I'll let you guys know how it goes when they arrive.

Veri

Master Contributor
Recently purchased this item to use as a USB to SPDIF so that I can connect my Softone Model2 Tube DAC to a Mac Mini through the D10. I could also use the mini-toslink out on Mac Mini itself but i thought D10 would be a better choice for this. I'll let you guys know how it goes when they arrive.
The mini toslink in theory should work fine too though.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still plan to do tht review. On ISO regen, I have done that test with Modi before. See: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...regen-review-and-measurements.1829/post-46217

That means you can implement your own good power by getting a USB cable that separates USB power and feed that with a clean linear power supply. That would probably cost $30 or 1/10th the price of ISO Regen.

@amirm , Thank you for doing this review.

Can you recommend a clean 5VDC regulated linear PS ? Are the Jameco units clean ?

TIA

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , Thank you for doing this review.

Can you recommend a clean 5VDC regulated linear PS ? Are the Jameco units clean ?

TIA
You don't need a linear supply. If you want to get one still, you can but it won't make a difference.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't need a linear supply. If you want to get one still, you can but it won't make a difference.

Can you recommend any clean ones ?

I have noticed my KTBD will pass some noise from the PC. If I run it into my preamp and use the preamp's XLR outs, it doesn't pass the noise. If I bypass the preamp and pass the USB through a USB isolator it cleans it up. If I run it straight into my XO using its RCA outputs, it passes noise. My USB idolator went to idolator heaven so I am looking for alternatives to clean up the PC's output.

TIA

Top Bottom