• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Blur

Forum Donor
KNUPAC, what DAC are you using by chance?

Alerma

Sorry if it already been mentioned by someone, but today I stumbled on a review left on Amazon rumbling something about "THX compression"? What a heck is that?

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 17.11.11.png

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry if it already been mentioned by someone, but today I stumbled on a review left on Amazon rumbling something about "THX compression"? What a heck is that?

View attachment 42688
Spoiler: the testing he has done does not take into account the SMSL SP200 is much louder by default. The rest is him talking out of his ass, as with most subjective impressions of gear on the internet. "Just because 2 amps are comparatively clean, does not mean they're delivering the same sound quality." what a load of crap. This is why amazon reviews are generally not worth much ... :rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean even ZEOS concluded these THX amps sound the same, with difference of inputs/outputs, gain modes and aesthetics.

Read this thread for example:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphone-amp-harsh-vs-smooth.10370/
original poster comes to the conclusion these amps sound the same and the difference was imagined. That's what a good comparison does to you.

KNUPAC

Spoiler: the testing he has done does not take into account the SMSL SP200 is much louder by default. The rest is him talking out of his ass, as with most subjective impressions of gear on the internet. "Just because 2 amps are comparatively clean, does not mean they're delivering the same sound quality." what a load of crap. This is why amazon reviews are generally not worth much ... :rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean even ZEOS concluded these THX amps sound the same, with difference of inputs/outputs, gain modes and aesthetics.

Read this thread for example:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphone-amp-harsh-vs-smooth.10370/
original poster comes to the conclusion these amps sound the same and the difference was imagined. That's what a good comparison does to you.

Maybe someone needs to compare the three amps (and the little monoprice one as well) to clear this up

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey mate,
Fiio K5 Pro is using AK4493EQ DAC, via XLR to RCA to SP200 (unbalanced)
I'm confused. K5 Pro does not have XLR? Do you mean RCA to XLR input on SP200?

snowsurfer

Differences will be power output, connections(input/output), aesthetics, ...

I'd add no external power brick as a big plus (for me)! :) But yeah, XLR input is probably one of the main reasons for me, I want everything connected with XLR due to my system's tendency towards ground loops with other connections...

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd add no external power brick as a big plus (for me)! :) But yeah, XLR input is probably one of the main reasons for me, I want everything connected with XLR due to my system's tendency towards ground loops with other connections...
Yep using mine with the benchmark RCA to XLR cable that is wired to the starquad braid for some common mode rejection. Pseudo-balanced with no hiss/noise :) love it.

A cheap balanced DAC like SU-8 or SDAC would be real balanced but I dislike the 4Vrms output, especially with the SP200 gain it would get WAY too loud too fast for my preference. Pseudo balanced is the sweet spot for me in terms of available gain.

MRphotography

Yep using mine with the benchmark RCA to XLR cable that is wired to the starquad braid for some common mode rejection. Pseudo-balanced with no hiss/noise :) love it.

A cheap balanced DAC like SU-8 or SDAC would be real balanced but I dislike the 4Vrms output, especially with the SP200 gain it would get WAY too loud too fast for my preference. Pseudo balanced is the sweet spot for me in terms of available gain.

that the way I run it with xlr to the SU-8 works great

Filio45

Veri

Master Contributor

Blur

Forum Donor
I finally got around testing my SP200 with a pair of JH Audio 10x3 Pro IEM’s. I wanted to observe possible gain issues and channel imbalance.

First, no hiss or major issues were detected at nominal listening levels. There are minor issues.

1.) Even with the volume ( low gain ) all of the way down I can here audio playing. The gain should really go all of the way down especially on low gain.

2.) There is obvious channel imbalance at low listening levels.

3.) To get to really loud levels one only needs to use 5-6mm of turn on the volume knob. This leaves 90% of the volume unused.

I don’t suggest this amp for IEM use. I wish they would rework it and install the tested volume pot. I would easily swap mine out for one that has better low gain performance.

Last edited:

MRphotography

I finally got around testing my SP200 with a pair of JH Audio 10x3 Pro IEM’s. I wanted to observe possible gain issues and channel imbalance.

First, no hiss or major issues were detected at nominal listening levels. There are minor issues.

1.) Even with the volume ( low gain ) all of the way down I can here audio playing. The gain should really go all of the way down especially on low gain.

2.) There is obvious channel imbalance at low listening levels.

3.) To get to really loud levels one only needs to use 5-6mm of turn on the volume knob. This leaves 90% of the volume unused.

I don’t suggest this amp for IEM use. I wish they would rework it and install the tested volume pot. I would easily swap my out for one that has better low gain performance.

I don’t use IEM really ever but I 100% agree With you on this it should be fixed so if I did ever decide to, I would be able to enjoy this amp with them. I mean I can only get to 12 o’clock with my Hifiman Ananda’s, not even to 12 with my Elear’s, and a little past 12 with my 6XX not sure what most people are using to go past that point with this amp.

Rigel

The sp200's amplifier section has only 2 channels, but it is designed in a "balanced" way. According to the THX guidelines, all XLR socket traces are returned to the amplifier. And because it is an unbalanced amplifying part, the RCA does not need to pass an XLR->RCA amplifier like the XLR input. Therefore, the performance of the RCA input is the best.

Forgive me for insisting on a detail that I don't quite understand. English is not my language and I am not sure I understand the operation of the THX system well.
I understand that the ideal is that the masses of the two channels should not be shared to improve cross talk between them.
¿I understand from these words, that at some point within the amplifier, the masses of the two channels, join before or after amplification?
I have also read that Benchmark does not balance the signal at the headphone output, but instead seems to understand me, that the masses in its XLR connector are not shared. That I think is the really important thing, not so much for the balanced signal. Would the same happen in the SP200?

Thank you.

Blur

Forum Donor
Anyone tried replacing the volume pot on the SP200? I’ve dug into mine a little and cannot seem to pull the enclosure off without popping off the pot. knob. Not knowing if it will break or damage the mounting to the board I’ve stopped. I would love to install a logarithmic pot instead of the linear one.

Top Bottom