• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
PS, someone pleeeeeaaaase lend an emotiva a100 to Amirm for testing. That would be some very interesting review

I have emotiva a100. The jumper installed mode got very high level of noise that even argon will have that noise. I do not know if its just me or everyone is like this.

AndrewDavis

That case is a deal breaker for me. If I was in the market I would pay extra for the Monoproce Massdrop...just to have some right angles.

CerealKiller

I have emotiva a100. The jumper installed mode got very high level of noise that even argon will have that noise. I do not know if its just me or everyone is like this.
Interesting, what headphones have you tried on the a100?
Have read somewhere that Argons are not much noise prone because their very low sensivity but canot confirm by myself.

SDC

This have more power than 789? Hope I can drive 16ohm CDs with this guy :)

I will open the top and place giant heatsinks on that thing if it can

Last edited:

zermak

Attachments

• SMSL_SP200_THX_HA_review_mod.jpg
    SMSL_SP200_THX_HA_review_mod.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 330

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I should say that the pictures have geometric distortion due to angle I shot them. In reality, the slanted look is very slight and of course symmetrical on both ends.
Actual production case Is likely angled properly as Is seen on media pictures.

I think your eyes are playing tricks on you. Here's the ad Amir posted rotated 45 degrees. I could see a weak chassis bending like this but the front and rear panels would not stretch to match and there would be gaps at the corners. Pretty much has to be an intentional design decision. Angle looks to be about 3.5°.

Attachments

• smsl_sp200.jpg
    smsl_sp200.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

bigjacko

Interesting, what headphones have you tried on the a100?
Have read somewhere that Argons are not much noise prone because their very low sensivity but canot confirm by myself.
I have HD6XX tested on the a100 too. The noise is noticeable higher than argon. The argon is harder to drive than HD6XX, but I feel not that harder. On massdrop sdac+o2, I can have same volume for HD6XX on 9 oclock and argon on 11 oclock.

CerealKiller

I think your eyes are playing tricks on you. Here's the ad Amir posted rotated 45 degrees. I could see a weak chassis bending like this but the front and rear panels would not stretch to match and there would be gaps at the corners. Pretty much has to be an intentional design decision. Angle looks to be about 3.5°.
Damn... I reckon i did not looked at that image floor flat position... Its angled (faceplam) still, its a good and ppwerfull amp. Maybe smsl reads the fórum, who kmows!

FourT6and2

Well this just made my decision more difficult. Added to my shortlist. But at $290, I might just have to buy one regardless.

Drop THX 789
Monoprice THX 887
Cayin iHA-6
Violectric V280
And now this SMSL SP200

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Damn... I reckon i did not looked at that image floor flat position... Its angled (faceplam) still, its a good and ppwerfull amp. Maybe smsl reads the fórum, who kmows!
They do indeed. They are on national holiday which I think is just over now and hence lack of engagement.

FourT6and2

Yes, it's just the connector. No additional power whatsoever. Just for convenience so you can use various cables with this amp.

So this thing is all single-ended from ins to outs, regardless of connectors? But the competition is balanced (789/887/HPA4)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So this thing is all single-ended from ins to outs, regardless of connectors? But the competition is balanced (789/887/HPA4)?
The input is balanced which is the only thing that matters.

bigjacko

Does the XLR input means it will still have common mode noise rejection or other balanced advantage as well?

Jimmy

All the available pictures, not just Amir ones show a slightly angled chassis, so it's not any kind of optical effect.

I suppose that they will release other matching components with the same aesthetic, or if the feedback is not good maybe revert to a more standard chassis.

IMHO I like the Smsl SAP-10 chassis much better (minus the recessed/flush volume wheel).

The reality is still unclear.....

Top Bottom