• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

snowsurfer

Looks like a great product from SMSL again, that will produce many headaches for more..."traditional" audiophile companies...ahem. @amirm , are you planning to retest a retail version, could this be a little bit of a "golden sample" situation, or are we not considering that?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought an ASR special and am pleased ... This product is most interesting but ... Jumping off the wagon :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Looks like a great product from SMSL again, that will produce many headaches for more..."traditional" audiophile companies...ahem. @amirm , are you planning to retest a retail version, could this be a little bit of a "golden sample" situation, or are we not considering that?
It's just the THX module with proper power supply / inputs outputs from what I see. Hard to botch it unless they somehow end up with crap/fake components.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As good as these prototypes are, and as much as we look forward to them, we really need to concentrate on things that can actually be bought. In the lists and charts of all the gear, I'm thinking that prototypes ought not to be listed. Or if they are, at least marked with a different colored bar to show that they are not actual production, off the shelf, units.

SmackDaddies

As good as these prototypes are, and as much as we look forward to them, we really need to concentrate on things that can actually be bought. In the lists and charts of all the gear, I'm thinking that prototypes ought not to be listed. Or if they are, at least marked with a different colored bar to show that they are not actual production, off the shelf, units.
I agree. I own and like SMSL products, but if it is not in production it's just a step up from vaperware

Veri

Master Contributor
The massdrop THX review came out with one of the first batches. The march audio review was of a pre-release item, the E1DA 9038S was too as far as I know. Heck, Khadas sent in a tone board before anyone knew about them or their boards. What's the big deal?

@SMSL-Mandy people are currently on holiday (chinese golden week), details about release will surely follow soon. The product was announced not even 3 weeks ago. What exactly are we even complaining about..??
fv4jxdY.png

Edit: the SMSL comment there explains that the SMSL P1, the amplifier counterpart for the D1, will not be using THX AAA, but will be balanced in/out. Probably another discrete solution like the Gustard H20 et al.

SmackDaddies

The massdrop THX review came out with one of the first batches. The march audio review was of a pre-release item, the E1DA 9038S was too as far as I know. Heck, Khadas sent in a tone board before anyone knew about them or their boards. What's the big deal?

@SMSL-Mandy people are currently on holiday (chinese golden week), details about release will surely follow soon. The product was announced not even 3 weeks ago. What exactly are we even complaining about..??
fv4jxdY.png

Edit: the SMSL comment there explains that the SMSL P1, the amplifier counterpart for the D1, will not be using THX AAA, but will be balanced in/out. Probably another discrete solution like the Gustard H20 et al.
I am very glad SMSL is sharing products for early review. But it's not a real product if no one can buy it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am very glad SMSL is sharing products for early review. But it's not a real product if no one can buy it.
They sent it in before Chinese holidays. Item arrived so ASR review is already out now, the product release will be soon. Can't have everything in this world :( I still don't see the problem. People can not buy it for now, same thing with the Monoprice THX 887, I saw little people complain there...

I for one would not splurge on the 887 now that this value option exists, so thank you @amirm for sharing.

doodle

XLR Output ("balanced") - Same power and distortion
Does this mean this amp is actually not balanced and XLR Output is there just for convenience, like Massdrop's CTH?

Veri

Master Contributor
Does this mean this amp is actually not balanced and XLR Output is there just for convenience, like Massdrop's CTH?
Yes, it's just the connector. No additional power whatsoever. Just for convenience so you can use various cables with this amp.

ohtoulouz

Hi,
Just wondering whether such a powerfull and qualitative amp would increase my listening pleasure or not, if plugged into Sabaj D5 line output:
1) No, because:
- My headphones (HD600, DT770 pro and K710) do not require more than one third of D5 max volume (balanced output).
- Amir says about D5 amp: "Only a person with very low efficiency headphone and/or need to play extremely loud would want to get something better".
- I do not like the sound of my headphone amps (Micromega MyZic, Lehmann Audio Linear), when plugged into D5 SE line output.
2) Yes, because:
- ... waiting for your inputs, guys !
Thanks

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This terrific little headphone amp is proof that competition spurred by this site will bring prices down on better and better products, including regular amps. However, regular amps obviously require physically larger and more expensive parts. Still, seems like maybe $500-$750 is doable in a few years for a 100w stereo amp with 110db SINAD.
$750 for that performance with balanced inputs would be just fine. And if they could offer a combo with a 110dB, XLR pre/DAC (M500 or whatever's current) at $999, they'd sell tons of them.

Tks

Major Contributor
I come back to the thread and see a slew of folks thinking this is some sort of pre production model that can’t be bought? How fast do you folks imagine the production model can be changed in order to fool people? Made worse by that fact THX AAA parts take forever to seemingly get out the door for anyone, so any changes will definitely not be possible if SMSL was trying to pull a fast one which the tone of what some of you people are saying, is implying.

Also think a bit rationally folks. Why would they do this? As bad as the division between subjectivists vs objectivists is, I doubt either side would ever forgive misgivings knowingly from a company. They would be burned for good in many places for pulling a “golden sample” stunt.

Also, this whole theory of binning(a practice where companies will go through parts to find the top performers and sell them at a premium or something) is going away faster and faster by the year. The sorts of tolerances for solid state devices doesn’t allow this sort of headroom between devices to exist on the level some of you may imagine. Any differences someone else may measure (more times than not by a heavy margin) will be due to test to test variance if any differences are present at all.

As for @ohtoulouz

I sometimes get a better listening experience seeing the spectral analyzer on my RME DAC. This question can only be answered by you, as the performance metrics would deem both devices to be at vanishingly low levels of distortion and noise (though the amp section isn’t the literal best on the Sabaj D5, I simply couldn’t hear a difference when I tested it). If you need insane enough power to blow some drivers, then sure adding one of these amps with the Sabaj will toss you into verified inaudible territory of distortion. And also if you like to placebo yourself into things, I suppose you will have an enhanced experience resting easy you have one of the best amps and DACs ever tested in your home.

But for a general opinion barring al I’ve said. I doubt it would enhance your listening experience if you listen at moderate levels.

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
these are launching right after golden week, so the first batch has been produced and is on a boat right now heading to amazon fulfillment. they probably grabbed one from the batch right before golden week and EMS'd it to amir, but i suspect this was done in a bit of a hurry, as they forgot to include an m500 (they had said they were going to send one about the same time as this probsbly went out to him).

i'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that the major chi-fi companies do not much money and are actually labors of love for their ownership groups. i base this on knowing someone who ran a company a bit like this in the keyboard space. the margins and volumes are too low for anyone to make real money on this stuff. if you do a teardown on any of our favorite DACs, what you'll find is that the BOM costs as much or more than the asking price. i mean, a 9038pro is something like 50-70$ per piece, and somehow smsl has managed to manufacture a 9038pro based DAC in billet aluminum with unimpeachable fit and finish _in 3 colors_ with a remote control and obscenely large LCD for 400$ retail price, and that includes a whole bunch of top tier polymer caps, 3 separate stacked PCBs, etc. etc. etc.

so no, i suspect that rather than cherry picking the best out of the lot, for pride's sake, they are either grabbing a random unit, or they are even possibly grabbing a slightly below average unit for the bragging rights. i know that's what my friend would do..

ohtoulouz

As for [USER=9701 said:
@ohtoulouz[/USER]

I sometimes get a better listening experience seeing the spectral analyzer on my RME DAC. This question can only be answered by you, as the performance metrics would deem both devices to be at vanishingly low levels of distortion and noise (though the amp section isn’t the literal best on the Sabaj D5, I simply couldn’t hear a difference when I tested it). If you need insane enough power to blow some drivers, then sure adding one of these amps with the Sabaj will toss you into verified inaudible territory of distortion. And also if you like to placebo yourself into things, I suppose you will have an enhanced experience resting easy you have one of the best amps and DACs ever tested in your home.

But for a general opinion barring al I’ve said. I doubt it would enhance your listening experience if you listen at moderate levels.

Thanks @Tks.
I also doubt it will enhance my listening experience. Just wanted to see if I miss a point! I am more than happy with D5 DAC/amp combo and I am also afraid that D5 line output (SE, because I was not able to test XLR line out) is not on par with the fantastic DAC.

Top Bottom