• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Schiit LYR 2 Amplifier

L0rdGwyn

Patreon Donor
Where did you get those tubes? After I get this amp back from Amir, I may try some tube rolling.

Sadly, I don't have any other tubes for this amp (yet). I have been using it exclusively with LISST after I found that I subjectively preferred their sound. Curious to see that Schiit have now discontinued them, I wonder why?
I owned this amp briefly. The best sound I heard from it was with a pair of Western Electric JW 2C51/396A. Requires adapters.

bravomail

Thx for review, Amir! If anything, headphone manufacturers should flock to Schiit and ask it to do more devices like Lyr 3, to increase headphone sales! :) :D

Dana reed

Where did you get those tubes? After I get this amp back from Amir, I may try some tube rolling.

Sadly, I don't have any other tubes for this amp (yet). I have been using it exclusively with LISST after I found that I subjectively preferred their sound. Curious to see that Schiit have now discontinued them, I wonder why?
I got the tubes here, and sprung the extra few bucks for a matched set
https://www.tubedepot.com/t/brands/genalex

They discontinued the LISST at the end of last year because they didn’t sell well and were a pain to assemble. Oh well, I have a pair of them for this amp and also four of them for my Freya preamp. They should last for a while being SS.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
The measurements are "okay" but honestly the price is too high.... and as some others have said; this unit has been reported to kill headphones.
Better to stay away from something that could possibly kill headphones (or your hearing) if there is a problem...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

garbulky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was grounded. I assume output impedance is independent of input gain.
I'm just curious how they are managing the low gain. If it is by means of a resistor the output impedance might be particularly high in low gain mode.

solderdude

Major Contributor
In case of the Lyr2 (which is a hybrid) the output impedance is low in both gain settings.
It is below 0.3 Ohm in both gain settings.
Output Impedance: 0.3 ohms, high gain (worst case)

With the Valhalla 2 the gain settings do affect the output impedance directly, more feedback = lower gain = lower output impedance in this particular case (single ended tube output)
Output Impedance: 14 ohms (high gain), 3.5 ohms (low gain)

Top Bottom