• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit LYR 2 Amplifier

gregr507

Sorry to bump this thread, although I guess it's really not that old. I have a lyr 2 and I really enjoy it, but I guess I don't have a ton to compare it to except for lower end stuff. I'm a bit new to all these measurements and what they mean, so I'm wondering what gain setting would be appropriate for my headphones. My current cans that I use with this amp are hd650, he500, and lcd2. I've listened and can't tell a huge difference at what seems to be equal volume letters, but the OCD side of me just has to know lol. Thanks in advance!

MRphotography

Sorry to bump this thread, although I guess it's really not that old. I have a lyr 2 and I really enjoy it, but I guess I don't have a ton to compare it to except for lower end stuff. I'm a bit new to all these measurements and what they mean, so I'm wondering what gain setting would be appropriate for my headphones. My current cans that I use with this amp are hd650, he500, and lcd2. I've listened and can't tell a huge difference at what seems to be equal volume letters, but the OCD side of me just has to know lol. Thanks in advance!

Have you blown up any headphones yet? According to this thread, it sounds like Schiit likes to blow up Schiit! lol Seriously though how do you like it with your Planars?

Dana reed

I recently got the HE6SE and with those the Lyr 2 is a little lacking. The Vidar is the best thing I’ve heard so far with the HE6SE. The LCD2 and HE560 sing with the Lyr2 though. I can’t say that one gain setting is better than the other at equivalent levels, but with the HE560 the lower sensitivity sometimes requires high gain

gregr507

Have you blown up any headphones yet? According to this thread, it sounds like Schiit likes to blow up Schiit! lol Seriously though how do you like it with your Planars?

As far as I'm aware, that was an issue with the Lyr 3 and not the Lyr 2. They sound great to me, but I don't have much point of reference

M83

Having just read this Lyr 2 review, I noticed that the tubes amir used were very poor quality ($4) tubes..... that are known to be poor even when considered in isolation from hardware they go in.

It's absurd to see the suggestion that one should only use LISST with Lyr 2 rather than tubes. My Lyr 2 sounds great with Amperex ECC88 and Amperex Bugle Boy 6Dj8 tubes. There is no hum, no interference of any kind. My Ember 2.1 sounds great with these tubes too.

I'm done with this website. I cannot reconcile in my head the fact that folks can so blindly follow only measurements and read this trash.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Having just read this Lyr 2 review, I noticed that the tubes amir used were very poor quality ($4) tubes..... that are known to be poor even when considered in isolation from hardware they go in.

It's absurd to see the suggestion that one should only use LISST with Lyr 2 rather than tubes. My Lyr 2 sounds great with Amperex ECC88 and Amperex Bugle Boy 6Dj8 tubes. There is no hum, no interference of any kind. My Ember 2.1 sounds great with these tubes too.

I'm done with this website. I cannot reconcile in my head the fact that folks can so blindly follow only measurements and read this trash.
No matter how it "sounds" it is a flaming piece of trash compared to a solid state amp. So there is that FACT regardless of what you want to BELIEVE and how you FEEL.
If you cannot understand this and BE OKAY WITH IT then this isn't the website for you.

You are allowed to enjoy your music the way you enjoy it; that doesn't mean the sound that you LIKE is OBJECTIVELY BETTER than other sound.

M83

No matter how it "sounds" it is a flaming piece of trash compared to a solid state amp. So there is that FACT regardless of what you want to BELIEVE and how you FEEL.
If you cannot understand this and BE OKAY WITH IT then this isn't the website for you.

You are allowed to enjoy your music the way you enjoy it; that doesn't mean the sound that you LIKE is OBJECTIVELY BETTER than other sound.
Wow. So is your opinion is that the Lyr 2 is worse than every solid state amp in the world? That is not a fact buddy, that's subjective opinion right there.

People listen to music because it's how it makes them feel. What is "good" or not, is subjective opinion.

However, you just made the point for me. Because many measurements are inaudible and/or are not measured in the right way on ASR.

But I won't stop you thinking that Lyr 2 is worse than every solid state amp in the world. Cause that's your opinion and not confirmed by objective fact.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just ordered a LYR 3.

It's a totally new design, with new topology and chassis, from this one that Amir tested.

It now uses 1 x 6NS7 tube, instead of 2 x 6DJ8 type.

LISST no longer an option.

Puts out a lot of power, though.

I don't know if anyone would want to see @amirm test it, though, given the general interest in tube hybrids on ASR.

Top Bottom