• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

60HZ hum on my Lyr 2 headphone amp

r042wal

Forum Donor
I'm looking for some trouble shooting opinions.

I have a McIntosh C48 preamp. I took the #2 RCA low level output, attached a good quality 25' RCA cable to it, then plugged it into my SB-2000 Pro subwoofer. Every works like a charm.

I did not want to run a long headphone cable across my living room for my headphones so I put an RCA "Y" connector in at my sub and split it off to my Lyr 2 preamp. This way I have everything beside me when I want to use my headphones.

If I turn up the gain on the headphone preamp more that 25% I get bad 60Hz hum. Any suggestions? There is no ground on the Lyre. I am wondering what would be the best way to troubleshoot this? It I disconnect the Lyr from the chain, there is no problem with the low level signal going to the sub, it's perfect.

TIA for any suggestions

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit on the expensive side, but should work.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Thanks! I ordered one from Parts Express and will give it a try. Do I want it after my "Y" connector before it goes into my Lyr 2?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I ordered one from Parts Express and will give it a try. Do I want it after my "Y" connector before it goes into my Lyr 2?
Yes. That way it will isolate the Lyr 2 from the rest of your system (since you sub doesn't seem to have any ground loop problem with your Mac and therefore no isolation is necessary between them).

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
@NTK I just wanted to update the group after reciving my Jensen ISO-Max. This little box worked like a charm and killed any hum I had. I a'm so thankful for the wonderful suggestions. Cheers from Canada

Reactions: NTK
Top Bottom