• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Rega Ear Headphone Amp

Southall-1998

Very interesting indeed. Always did wonder about the Rega EAR. If I see one going at a decent price then maybe I'll give it a spin. Plus, I also happen to own the lovely HD-650.

s.

Jim777

Forum Donor
I had the previous version at work. Looked slightly better maybe. However, the PCB was one-sided, no ground plane. You could get a notification of incoming texts by leaving your cellphone nearby.. Terrible!

DeBilbao

The Rega EAR (I use the MKII version) design is thought out with high impedance headphones in mind. I own the Sennheiser HD 650 and I've owned the HiFiMAN HE-400i and I couldn't agree mor with Amir's opinion.

If you own a Sennheiser HD 650, the Rega EAR is a great match that will make them shine. I feed my Mark II with the output from an iFi iDSD nano that I use as a DAC connected to my computer and the sound is fantastic.

I have two complete sets in different locations, one with a Windows 10 Pro computer as source where I use MusicBee as my FLAC library player, and another one connected to an iMac with Audirvana, and both are great.

My only concerns with the Rega EAR Mark II is that construction quality is sub-par and also that I can only use less than a quarter of the volume control (in fact from 18:00 to 20:00).

For me is a perfect choice with the Sennheiser HD 650, and I've tried a lot of amps at home, including some respected names like the Burson Conductor or Icon Audio HP8 MK II.

;)

Wavey22

I actually like this design. Why is the subjective part of the review so much shorter than the measurement portion?

Helical

Little bump from me here. Thanks for the review!

I recently picked up this unit almost for free. I’m really new to the headphone game and wondering which headphones would be a good match. The review states that low impedance headphones are a no-go. I’ve been looking at Shure SRH1540 rated 46ohm. Would that be a terrible match?

Top Bottom