• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Which BruteFIR benchmarks are you referring to?
I've looked for some myself and not found any beyond a few coarse indications on the website.
I'm curious, how fast is "brutally fast"...

I don't understand this is with a quite dated system.

"With a massive convolution configuration file setting up BruteFIR to run 26 filters, each 131072 taps long, each connected to its own input and output (that is 26 inputs and outputs), meaning a total of 3407872 filter taps, a 1 GHz AMD Athlon with 266 MHz DDR RAM gets about 90% processor load, and can successfully run it in real time."

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no difference between Amir’s approach to reviews and beating a Piñata. We all know the outcome of his reviews but we don’t know how many times it needs to bashed.

Down here in Panama, we might use one of these...

Piñata de la Pantera Rosa

Pink Panther Piñata.jpg

dc655321

Major Contributor
I don't understand this is with a quite dated system.

"With a massive convolution configuration file setting up BruteFIR to run 26 filters, each 131072 taps long, each connected to its own input and output (that is 26 inputs and outputs), meaning a total of 3407872 filter taps, a 1 GHz AMD Athlon with 266 MHz DDR RAM gets about 90% processor load, and can successfully run it in real time."

Yes that was the vague passage I was referring to. You consider that a benchmark?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Yes that was the vague passage I was referring to. You consider that a benchmark?

You got me, what do you consider a benchmark? 26 channels of 131072 tap FIR filters @44.1k simultaneously in real time. I take that as stereo room EQ to all 13 rooms of your house at the same time.

dc655321

Major Contributor
You got me, what do you consider a benchmark?

Just looking for a more thorough/rigorous treatment. And perhaps more modern hardware. Thought maybe you were aware something I was not. Thanks anyway.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Winning a battle of bull$hit is almost as satisfying as slapping someone down with science. Almost.
The old W C Fields saying has never been more apropos,
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." ;)

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Just looking for a more thorough/rigorous treatment. And perhaps more modern hardware. Thought maybe you were aware something I was not. Thanks anyway.

I have no interest in REQ so I don't follow the SOTA, just making the observation that any machine you have these days will probably do anything you want with room to spare. There are sites with comparisons that count CPU cycles.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is however based on listening, not through the forums, but at home in the same room and conditions.
I was the same. Since I had spent a considerable amount with dealers they were always happy to let me borrow kit for evaluation. Generally I did this by listening to music I usually listened to over a period of a couple of weeks at home.
About 10 years ago I decided I "needed" a DAC capable of decoding high(er) res files than the CD and DAT files I had been listening to.
I had a home loan of a Linn Klimax DS and Resolution Audio Cantata, amongst others.
I decided to do an accurately level matched direct comparison at one stage, rather than just listening over time. When I did this I found that any differences I had thought I heard were imagined. There was no way I could tell the Linn from the Resolution Audio, or my existing kit (on CD) or the DAC part of a digital recorder.
I was surprised not to hear a difference, though the specs of the kit suggested I shouldn't the general opinion of hifi enthusiasts insisted that I should.
Anyway, I ended up buying the Resolution Audio, more for its flexibility and styling than performance, since I still (thought I) needed a higher resolution DAC.
Not long afterwards I listened at home to a Devialet D-Premier and bought it, so the Cantata was a short lived extravagance that now only gets infrequent use in my bedroom...
Anyway, I am not surprised you didn't like the PS Audio but I am surprised you notice a difference between Totaldac and RME (I have the RME in my office) since, despite its weak performance, I am not confident it is bad enough for me to hear in a level matched direct comparison.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... There was no way I could tell the Linn from the Resolution Audio, or my existing kit (on CD) or the DAC part of a digital recorder.
I was surprised not to hear a difference, though the specs of the kit suggested I shouldn't the general opinion of hifi enthusiasts insisted that I should.
Anyway, I ended up buying the Resolution Audio, more for its flexibility and styling than performance, since I still (thought I) needed a higher resolution DAC ...

It's totally understandable as at that time the super-performer AC power cord Resolution Audio is currently offering was not available. ;)

'The very special performance characteristics of this hand built power cord are achieved by pure copper strands that are drawn in a way that forms the wire into a cross sectional molecular shape. This allows noise coming from the component’s power supply to quickly escape the component on the skin of each wire strand. In doing so, the BlackJack™ helps to keep the component’s own power supply noise from contaminating the music. This processed wire also has the great advantage of time smearing any noise traveling in the wire in the opposite direction thus reducing the amplitude of noise getting into the audio component from the wall outlet.'

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's totally understandable as at that time the super-performer AC power cord Resolution Audio is currently offering was not available. ;)

'The very special performance characteristics of this hand built power cord are achieved by pure copper strands that are drawn in a way that forms the wire into a cross sectional molecular shape. This allows noise coming from the component’s power supply to quickly escape the component on the skin of each wire strand. In doing so, the BlackJack™ helps to keep the component’s own power supply noise from contaminating the music. This processed wire also has the great advantage of time smearing any noise traveling in the wire in the opposite direction thus reducing the amplitude of noise getting into the audio component from the wall outlet.'

Must have gone to the same school:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Great example of pseudoscience.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A good example what dynamics really means are the early recordings of the CD-Age like DMP or Telarc that were directly recorded to
machines like the 3M Mastering System or Mitsubishi X80.
There were limiters in the path for sure, but probably not much compression used.
Reverb was taken from the room acoustics.
One of my favourites from this time is Joe Jackson´s
"Body and Soul":
That was one of the 3 CDs I bought in 1985 together with a Philips CD101, and it's dynamics especially in the last song blew me away. It still is one of the very best regarding SQ.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]
I personally prefer DACs that are just D/A converters, convert digital values to analog, without any DSP involved (bit-perfect). And even better, not boring COTS chips, but something someone has actually created on their own.
I can understand your wish, but I fear that it is very unlikely that some company builds a DAC without a standard DAC chip that reaches or even betters the specs of SOTA chips. I have seen too many failing doing so. The same is true for opamps, in my view.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I can understand your wish, but I fear that it is very unlikely that some company builds a DAC without a standard DAC chip that reaches or even betters the specs of SOTA chips. I have seen too many failing doing so. The same is true for opamps, in my view.
Chord and dCS. Any others?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
if you like contemporary rock/pop with the best dynamics, FR and noise characteristics, these are considered the best:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/119011

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/83301

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/93488

It's no coincidence that all three were fully digital (DDD) and performed by artists that played an active (though not necessarily leading) role in the recording, mixing, and mastering process.

These are a bit off my mainstream listening tastes but excellent references to better understand what can be done by people who really know what they are doing. Quite useful for auditioning/comparing audio components.

Top Bottom