• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio NuWave DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is this forum moderated? If so, is the moderator on vacation?

Any chance to get this thread back on topic?

Seems as on topic as most of it...

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Of course: Musicality, Emotion, Soul, Body, Presence, Epicness, sensuality... ;) but only if you have well regarded cables!

Don't forget PRAT, "air," bloom, and slam.

Sounds like the credit roll of a cartoon pilot that never made it on air, like "Don't miss crazy PRAT and his silly pals air, bloom and slam as they bring hijinks and fun to your Saturday mornings!"

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so is PS audio the old Schiit?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Imagine how many snakes had to die to make that much oil.
I'm working on my next product: cables that actually look like snakes. First examples will be the Garter interconnect and Anaconda speaker cable. All Snakes will come with a vial of "Snake Oil", a special fluid for cleaning RCA and banana plugs to improve signal transmission and reduce noise, especially hiss.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
PS Audio sell cables and regenerators. They are in the business of profitable add-ons, just like every company before them, and most companies now.

Car makers recommend original OEM spare parts, not aftermarket for the "best performance and reliability". They recommend their own expensive dealer servicing for the same reasons.

Audio companies since Adam was boy, recommend their own brand accessories, headphones, batteries, cables and stands for the "best performance".

What's the big problem? I see no lies or deception in the highlighted statements, and arguably a lot more truth than many other brands.
Not the same. That's replacing original parts with the same when they need replacing, not telling you that you need all these "special" parts for it to work properly from new.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I think people are deluding themselves if they think they can hear a 0.5dB roll-of at 20KHz. Even at 10KHz, it's a fraction of a dB down.

But everyone likes a ruler flat response and when it isn't, it's easy to make the description fit the curve.

PS, how many 16 years olds are remotely interested in HiFi these days? Hanging with mates, girls and pimples keep them occupied and Bluetooth everything.
Yes, and how many recordings have content out to 20 k anyway?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and how many recordings have content out to 20 k anyway?
If you can achieve flat to 20, why settle for less? I mean, we could all say, "pretty good is good enough", and then chunk it at that. But there is an argument for excellence in engineering that trumps what can or can't be heard. For me, that is the point of it all. Otherwise I'll just go back to my Dyna tubes and be happy with them.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a great speaker....
No doubt he is. :cool:

I screenshot this before the comment got deleted:
20191001_201552.jpg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If you can achieve flat to 20, why settle for less? I mean, we could all say, "pretty good is good enough", and then chunk it at that. But there is an argument for excellence in engineering that trumps what can or can't be heard. For me, that is the point of it all. Otherwise I'll just go back to my Dyna tubes and be happy with them.
Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't, but some of us are dubious about anyone hearing a difference of ~0.5 dB out there.

estuardo4

I'll buy some hi-fi audio chassis and put on the inside some Topping DAC and some ICEPower DIY amp, and several other empty chassis that fill my cabinet so my friends can hear and comment how my equipment is the best they've heard, with so much sound stage front to back.

I think this is a very good business opportunity. To sell empty chassis of hi-end equipment so people can connect their cheap and better DACs and amps on the empty space, but can still invite friends over to show their "expensive" system.

Top Bottom