• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio NuWave DAC

Kacperum

I think people are deluding themselves if they think they can hear a 0.5dB roll-of at 20KHz. Even at 10KHz, it's a fraction of a dB down.

But everyone likes a ruler flat response and when it isn't, it's easy to make the description fit the curve.

PS, how many 16 years olds are remotely interested in HiFi these days? Hanging with mates, girls and pimples keep them occupied and Bluetooth everything.
I got into the hobby when I was 13. Now I'm 17.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

@restorer-john didn't ask if there was anybody in the hobby who was 16. He asked how many. The inference in his question is that what is a niche hobby for adults is likely a niche hobby for adolescent.

But welcome, all the same!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a great speaker....
The monitor behind the console? :rolleyes:

Speaker.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

That's awesome! At least there is one of you going forward when all of us die off. :)

Even when I was a teenager in the 1980s, I knew of only one friend who was as fussy about audio as I was. He bought the Infinity speakers, the Harman Kardon gear and spent endless hours recording perfect tapes with me. Just one person.

Incidentally, he's got back into HiFi again in a big way since his boys have grown up and left home. Full circle. It's a lifelong interest.

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got into the hobby when I was 13 as well (I am....not 17, this was 1978). I worked at the neighborhood HiFi shop called "Atlantis Sound". It was quite an introduction to commerce. I was told that the guy running the store where I worked (ie my boss) backed up a truck and stole all the inventory just weeks after I left. He was a piece of work in a variety of ways, and obviously not anyone you'd want to do business with.

But I got some equipment out of the deal. Mostly I moved boxes around, deposited cash, and did installs (Tips!!)

Paul can write too.
He sure can write, wrote a whole book about himself: https://www.paulmcgowan.com/
'When I was a teenager, I was always running from something: the law, the Feds, the draft. Flight took me over the border to Tijuana for contraband, inside a county jail, into the hands of the Secret Service, onto the streets of Haight-Ashbury.'
Some crooks never change for the better.
You can tell a lot about a company by their history, just like Campfire audio which was founded from ALO, a cable company selling cables for hundreds. With all the controversy surrounding their iem's recently I'm surprised people haven't made any connections yet.
This all goes to show how important marketing and aesthetics is. Funny how audiophools say Beats is a ripoff but fall for much bigger scams, at least with Beats it's clear you're buying bass.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'When I was a teenager, I was always running from something: the law, the Feds, the draft. Flight took me over the border to Tijuana for contraband, inside a county jail, into the hands of the Secret Service, onto the streets of Haight-Ashbury.'
Does that even sound probable to anybody? Or is it a case of "It was real in my mind!" Who is this guy? A doper, rum running, symbionese Francis Parker Yockey wannabe? Sound like too much Hunter Thompson. LOL

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Another joke brand... I remember looking at this product a year or so ago and thinking that the entire brand is a joke just based on what data is on the website. Glad to see that my original thoughts are substantiated here in this review.

dan3952

Then you can hear, over 18 kHz. I top out at 13 kHz due to my age. I can't even detect a 1 db change at 500 kHz in real music (and not test sine waves).

Between -30 db and -45 db below source is audible when seated at the listening chair, yet people here choose to go on about -110 db being "unacceptable" in 'xyz' DAC because the alternate choice is -120 db. What a joke.
Your ears can't even detect or localize THD of 10% at 100 Hz

Last edited:
Top Bottom