• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio NuWave DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My hearing is shot above 9.5kHz as well, but I can hear bass very clearly. For example, I can hear my mother-in-law coming rumbling from more than 300 meters. :D

Gives plenty of time to deal with that fight or flight reaction!

I have a dip from 8-10k, then tinnitus masks from 10k-12k, picks up again at 12k then gone by 15k...
Lower frequencies are comparatively decent...

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have a high-end audio system. I have many high-end audio friends. I have gone to more high-end audio shows than just about any high-end audiophiles.

the-only-thing-5b89db.jpg

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gives plenty of time to deal with that fight or flight reaction!

I have a dip from 8-10k, then tinnitus masks from 10k-12k, picks up again at 12k then gone by 15k...
Lower frequencies are comparatively decent...
Lol

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Have you finalized your $60k speaker selection? Maybe that student discount for music services you're looking for to save for graduate school can bump up the budget so people will take you even more seriously.

Speaking of LOL, it can be amusing when those who haven't really done anything in the arena of life feel free to rudely challenge those who have, to the point of calling the site host a liar.

Yeah...charming. Good luck out there. Hope those speakers work out for you. Save those discount pennies...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you finalized your $60k speaker selection? Maybe that student discount for music services you're looking for to save for graduate school can bump up the budget so people will take you even more seriously.

Speaking of LOL, it can be amusing when those who haven't really done anything in the arena of life feel free to rudely challenge those who have, to the point of calling the site host a liar.

Yeah...charming. Good luck out there. Hope those speakers work out for you. Save those discount pennies...
The day they handed down common sense, he clearly was absent....

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I didn’t feel the need to tell the whole world but I’m saving money for a house instead of continuing to upgrade. Thanks for remembering my past post history including the time where I mentioned I’m saving myself $120 a year off Tidal by using a student discount. This is the same typical mindset of the elderly I’ve seen. Belittle and bemoan the youth. Complain that they are entitled. Meanwhile they are completely out of touch with reality. Education costs are thousands of percents higher then when you were my age. Property costs, tens of thousands of percents higher. Average price of detached house in my city, $1.4m. You better believe I’m trying to save and will gladly take advantage of student discount offers.

You’re the charming one.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
IEducation costs are thousands of percents higher then when you were my age. Property costs, tens of thousands of percents higher.

Ummm...maybe some remedial math is in order...and I thought you were saving for graduate school.

I said you were rude...the rest was all you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Complain that they are entitled. Meanwhile they are completely out of touch with reality. Education costs are thousands of percents higher then when you were my age.

*remembers working for a buck sixty an hour...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Property costs, tens of thousands of percents higher.

I paid $151k (cash) in 2010. 2600 sqft, golf course out back, three car garage... Current Zestimate®: $278,489. Original sales price was $224k in 2004.

Somebody trying to live above their means, along with many others, caused a nice drop in home pricing as they bankrupted themselves.

Dad bought a new house for $28k in 1972, 1100sq ft, two car garage...

"$28,000 in 1972 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $146,066.22 in 2010"

Well, not thousands of percent here...

PS: I retired at 49 in 2002.

---

As for the increase in average "housing cost", perhaps this chart could provide some insight (at least for the US)

1569857096738.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Was speaking more to my area then the market in general, @RayDunzl. As someone mentioned earlier, I should move. But I don’t want to move to America. And most of the available job oppurtunities are here, in Toronto. Almost 20% of our entire country’s population lives in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and a further, over 1/3 of our country’s population lives within a few hours of Toronto. House prices are soaring in cities over an hour away such as Hamilton.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
And by the way I worked for $10.50 an hour for my first job at McDonald’s when I was 16. This was 2014. I don’t know what year you got your first job, but I don’t think I made much more than you when you consider the inflation rate and buying power of your buck sixty back in 1970.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But I don’t want to move to America.

I can't say I blame you there.

I visited Montreal for the summer of 1977 - in Dorval - and alternating with a little trailer on Chazy Lake (near Plattsburgh). It was nice. Housing was expensive there, then, too.

Having wintered in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois several times while working, I'm not sure I'd want to live in the freezer for so many months of the year.

Drove up in my Pinto (it turned 100,000 miles on the way back to Tampa), and, as I remember, I only had like $200 for the whole trip/time. Being poor is normal for youth, I think. You'll get over it if you don't borrow too much.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Rats.

Overcooked my burger while reminiscing...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Forgot, but yes.

Peeled the unburned part off the totally solidified bottom (couldn't even pierce that part with a fork), it'll do.

Top Bottom